What’s with the lousy air quality in Pattaya?

Guderian

I am not certain if all of the new years fireworks we've had at night and during our temple festival here and all of the open cooking on BBQ and open flame  have helped the matter.

Granted,  iT SMELLS LIKE A 4TH of July cookout, so that is good.

I just checked the app on my phone, the nearest monitoring station to me is Tara Pattana School, reading now - 105 US AQI

I gave up smoking nearly 3 years ago but sometimes my chest wheezes as though I'm still on 40 a day ???? 

Getting my own PMI meter soon, see what's happening real time very soon.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

It is something I am keeping my eye on, as with other factors in the mix, I am slowly beginning to consider what was previously inconsiderable, and have started at least researching other places.

Same same, Phuket and Krabi seem to have the better air quality according to my readings on the IQAir app, I check most of the places, even Hua Hin which I was told by NCC that it was great for air quality, well not according to the IQAir app as its 149 at the moment, i.e. unhealthy for sensitive groups, and Phuket is 54 and Krabi 51 both moderate, all of the above said back in the old country the suburb I lived in is higher than both Phuket and Krabi at 72, go figure, bushfires possibly ?

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have the SNDWAY 2.5PM detector and I swear by them, I can see what the particulate matter is in the house and switch on the air purifier to bring it down to under 12 when and if they go up.

In the morning I stick one out the window on the ledge for a minute, and this morning it the PM reading was 65, suffice to say it just goes to show people are burning their fields at night when no one is looking.

I have a friend bringing one from the UK, I cant remember the make off the top of my head, but a damn site cheaper than the one advertised on the AQI site, I think they wanted in excess of $100.

• Thanks 1

Forecast is in the red band for the next 7 days.

damn if I know where it comes from but it has definitely come. Could be from Malaysia burn offs?

if on a motorbike, wear a full N95 mask.

Try to avoid AC as it draws the outside air.

and....

Try not to breath when you drink beer.

Close your mouth during orgasm.

don’t jump higher than 300 metres when excercising.

Edited by ianezy0
  • Haha 1

Definitely worse than last year and it comes and goes. From our 15th floor condo we get a great view over to Bang Saray and on a bad day you can barely see D'Varee at the end of Jomtien promenade. Thinking of buying an air purifier as much for cooking smells as the AQ - but I definitely didn't sign up for this. I think a lot of it is coming over from other countries. When you look at the AQI map it looks like Asia is on fire. 

55 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

You are absolutely right in stating that the level of smog has been so bad of late that it is clearly visible as you are driving down Sukhumvit, especially near Pattaya Tai and all of the buildings look blurry from a distance. While we probably all become a little more conscious of health issues as we get older, one of the supposed benefits of living by the coast, is supposedly a better quality of air to breathe. It is something I am keeping my eye on, as with other factors in the mix, I am slowly beginning to consider what was previously inconsiderable, and have started at least researching other places. There is after all, only so much one can take before "paradise" becomes potentially untenable.

I took the decision to move just a little inland from Pattaya some time ago, and have not regretted it.

OK, sometimes the Air is a bit  thick with dust and smoke, but mostly its fairly clean.

The problem in Pattaya could be the result of all the Road works, and the Irrigation Project that are taking place about 15 - 25 Km inland.

Its not the actual work that causes the issue, but all the dust kicked up by the Traffic.

The map above shows thew hot spots and they are directly to the West of these road works Etc, and the wind has been blowing from the East for quite a while now.

Just my thoughts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Getting my own PMI meter soon, see what's happening real time very soon.

Be warned! its a downward slope from acquiring to realising, shocked me how bad the air was most of the time, wind direction has a lot to do with it, to state the blindingly obvious! :shock1:

Actually I would say don't bother with the meter, just get a HEPA filter with one built in as once you realise how bad the air is you will most likely buy a filter anyway!

Edited by CGW

47 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I have a friend bringing one from the UK, I cant remember the make off the top of my head, but a damn site cheaper than the one advertised on the AQI site, I think they wanted in excess of $100.

It depends on what you want it for, i.e. the one on the IQAir website can be used for inside and outside, however if used outside it can be set up as a monitoring station that reports the air quality in your area for others to also know what the air quality is like, good for schools etc etc, not cheap, but great for such purposes.

I found the IQAir AirVisual app downloaded on my mobile gives me an air quality reading for as close to my area as possible, albeit 15km-20km away in either direction, but it's done from satellite data, so not 100% accurate, but as the kids go to school in one of those area, I know what the air is like.

The SNDWAY 2.5 detector give me only the particulate matter reading, not the other, although that is the most important to me, as they are the nasty ones, so for the 1,380 baht outlay per monitor, it's a great cheaper investment for my purposes.

Good luck with it and maybe download the IQAir AirVisual app for free.

Edited by 4MyEgo

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

It depends on what you want it for, i.e. the one on the IQAir website can be used for inside and outside, however if used outside it can be set up as a monitoring station that reports the air quality in your area for others to also know what the air quality is like, good for schools etc etc, not cheap, but great for such purposes.

I found the IQAir AirVisual app downloaded on my mobile gives me an air quality for close to my area, albeit 15km away, but it's done from satellite data, so not 100% accurate, but as the kids go to school in that area, I know what the air is like.

The SNDWAY 2.5 detector give me only the particulate matter reading, not the other, although that is the most important to me, as they are the nasty ones, so for the 1,380 baht outlay per monitor, it's a great cheaper investment for my purposes.

Good luck with it and maybe download the IQAir AirVisual app for free.

I already have the Airvisual app, currently reading 118, and Tara Pattana School is only 1 km away, not good, not sure about buying an air purifier, might be out of my financial league ???? 

• Thanks 1

I was in Pattaya last week for New Year's. I was highly annoyed. I thought that I could trade in

the polluted Samut Prakan/BKK air for some fresh sea breezes, but boy, was I wrong. The haze looked even worse than  in

SP. I'm tired of having to wear a mask. I'm definitely leaving Thailand soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pan 82 said:

I was in Pattaya last week for New Year's. I was highly annoyed. I thought that I could trade in

the polluted Samut Prakan/BKK air for some fresh sea breezes, but boy, was I wrong. The haze looked even worse than  in

SP. I'm tired of having to wear a mask. I'm definitely leaving Thailand soon.

I agree with u and have brought this subject up, only to be told by those living there that the air is clean , and the poster wven stated people from Chang Mai should move to pattaya for the fresh air.

And that no one has ever had ill effects from the polluted pattaya air.

• Like 2

Was same same last year at this time of year.

A sad state of affairs if one has to monitor the air-quality in paradise. Being chained to rooms equipped with "air-purifiers", instead of "enjoying life to it's fullest".

Non smokers might as well take up smoking: It doesn't make any difference anymore.

• Like 1