Drunk monk involved in hit-and-run which kills two teenagers

webfact

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Imagine how great Thailand would be with no military government and no religion !

Change 'Thailand' with the words 'the world', would be a lot better.

3 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

A monk or a former monk? Big difference. But I guess "a monk" sounds more spectacular in the headline than "a carpenter" or whatever the former monk is working now. Click baiting is another word for it.

If he was not a monk at the time of the incident then him being one before is of no consequence.  It would be interesting to know if he was a monk then, but on getting caught, was urged to give it up at that instant to save face for the religion.  

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Buddhism in Thailand isn't a religious movement. It's a vast business enterprise that rakes in billions of baht a year while giving refuge to criminals of all kinds. Want to stage a funeral? Pay. Want to bless your new car or house? Pay. Every service is for sale. Where I come, the UK, churches never charge for anything as far as I know.

Same as 99 percent of other religions.  

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Imagine how great Thailand would be with no military government and no religion !

But that´s how it is?? ???? 

The sitting government is democratically elected, according to our most precious and highly competent PM. :cheesy:

Regarding budhism, that is not recognized as a religion and only seen to be a belief. :cheesy:

15 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I live in Phu Wiang and it is 65 kilometers west of Khon Kaen on route 2038, which leaves route 12 near Nong Rua and heads north for Nong Bua Lamphu. 

Thanks for that. The reason I made my remark was that it was in the Phuket forum, and I thought I has missed an extension to the Phuket area.

On 1/7/2020 at 11:37 AM, unamazedloso said:

I cant talk for the entire country but where i am there is 4 temples all within about 2km of each other and the monks themselves all have houses and cars and yep, all drunks and yabba dabba dos.. Local monks are so bad that ive been warned from my neighbours because of a despute that one in particular carrys a gun and for me to watch out. The fat <deleted> monk drives past my house real slow to be intimidating. Idiot! Makes this country look pretty bad for religous people to act this way when religion is held with such hi regard.

U should try to lodge a complain with the Sangha Council

Thai Buddhist monks are not allowed to ride a motorcycle, least of all drive a car. Those who do are fake monks or renegade ones. You would do well to report such monks to the police who will take appropriate action.

When I was a soldier in Germany, I had a really good mucker. He “introduced” me to Buddhism and I appreciated all the Buddhist stuff that he appeared to stand for.

He gave me lots of books and I read them voraciously, soaking up all the Buddhist principles, and I nearly became religious because of him. He always stated that he wanted to go to South East Asia and become a Buddhist monk.

He always struck me as a gentle, serious bloke and we were in each other's company a great deal over a period of about three years. We became firm friends, going fishing together, and spending evenings just simply talking about anything and everything. I enjoyed his company.

We parted company when he was posted to another garrison in 1978/9, and soon after that he left the Army and fulfilled his ambition to become Buddhist monk in Chiang Mai.

He always seemed to be a genuinely “good” person and I admired him a great deal. I had loads of photos of us “hanging out” and I kept all the books he gave me. Over all the years since, I thought about him quite often, wondering how he was getting on. He posted videos on Youtube with his "Dhama" videos and I thought he was a bit of a celebrity.

Not long ago, I found out how this “gentle”, “serious” and “dear friend” had been conducting himself as a Buddhist monk in Thailand.

Not all Buddhists are what they're cracked up to be.

His name is Fabian Frederick Blandford.

On 1/7/2020 at 6:58 PM, CNXexpat said:

A monk or a former monk? Big difference. But I guess "a monk" sounds more spectacular in the headline than "a carpenter" or whatever the former monk is working now. Click baiting is another word for it.

No idea if its true or not but the locals were all referring to him as still being a monk and the story in the village is that he fled the scene and was taken into custody at the temple.

As with all village gossip, has to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Archived