Doctor, teacher and Youtuber top dream jobs of Thai children

snoop1130

The 3 most common ones I've heard are doctor, engineer (mostly males) and air hostess for the females. I'm surprised so many want to be a teacher as Thai teachers mostly make <deleted> money, at least until they're head of department with many years of experience. I suppose it's something that's held in high regard here and makes the family proud, so the parents hammer it into their kids' minds that it's something truly amazing. 

3 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Pure BS.  One in a million and lots of fluff.  Show me the tax form and income statement

It’s actually not a bunch of fluff. That particular one is the income of an 8 year old boy. There are many making millions of dollars. Look it up. Even Forbes lists them.

I’m sure it’s difficult for some of you oldies to get your heads around but the world has changed while you’ve wasted away in Thailand.

Edited by dcnx

15 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Revenue for ads is not uniform, you get far more in some countries than others, namely English speaking ones. Posting in Thai is not going to get you 26 mil a year is it, or even 1.

Currently you get larger volume on the english speaking ones (I can imagine that mandarin speaking ones would kill it if the great firewall came down) and Indian and Portuguese ones are not far behind.. But that is comparing the handful of super stars not the bell curve, your comparing CEO salaries of fortune 500 v middle manager or entry level. 

You actually get more in niche markets per unit.. I know 2 Dutch youtubers and one arabic youtuber who all operate thier language niche for that reason. 

8 hours ago, Silentwalker said:

The 3 most common ones I've heard are doctor, engineer (mostly males) and air hostess for the females. I'm surprised so many want to be a teacher as Thai teachers mostly make <deleted> money, at least until they're head of department with many years of experience. I suppose it's something that's held in high regard here and makes the family proud, so the parents hammer it into their kids' minds that it's something truly amazing. 

They have a job for life no matter how useless, lots of holidays and free time, health cover cheap loans and retire at 60 on good pensions.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 3:11 PM, dcnx said:

It’s actually not a bunch of fluff. That particular one is the income of an 8 year old boy. There are many making millions of dollars. Look it up. Even Forbes lists them.

I’m sure it’s difficult for some of you oldies to get your heads around but the world has changed while you’ve wasted away in Thailand.

I don't know what oldie you are referring to or who has wasted away in Thailand  I am a millionaire and semi retired and now take on some engineering contract work when and if it interests me.  Nothing wrong with keeping ones mind active and doing a profession one is educated in. And yes I am aware of the kid youtubers.  But to think they created and setup and handle the financial end of things for their accounts is nutty.  And if you read up on the kid here is a quote from the Forbes article:

" Forbes considers the pretax income YouTubers collect through advertising, sponsorships, merchandise sales, and other sources to create its annual list. "

Now the kid did NOT sell all that merchandise.  Maybe gets a tiny percentage of some online sale that can be shown to be linked to them accessing it from his youtube site.  So be careful about quoting millions of income, when most is not direct income that the kid or his company gets

"

In the US, recognizing the shortage of tech workers, Amazon and Microsoft have been setting up coding, AI and other summer camp style activities to train kids for the future and groom a future workforce. Tech jobs are roles that many kids don't even know exist, so more exposure to such opportunities could really help broaden Thai kids' horizons. Perhaps Thai tech companies and universities could do something similar, seeing the win-win potential.