Price of a colondoscopy?

watthong

About 3 weeks ago I got a mild case of diarrhea due to bad food. Afterward my stomach got bloated after each meal, that lasted for a week and then since then going to the bathroom has been a problem, getting harder and harder (common expression=sh*tting brick). Little blood came out now and then (due to small fissure I guess). Today I went to see gastro-intestinal doc at St Louis Hospital on Sathorn. He took a look and gave me a "finger" exam, said that outer rim is ok, but to see further in we need a colondoscopy. A bit of history here: 3 years ago I got one while back in the states, doc snipped off a couple of polyps (spelling?) and told me that I should have one test every 5 (instead of 10 years for men over 50).

Back to St Louis hospital, outside at the counter the nurse said the price is 23,000 baht. If they had to get rid of whatever polyps that might be present price would go up to 25,000. I made an appointment for next Thursday, the day after tomorrow, got some laxative and probiotics plus all the medicine to prep for the procedure then went home.

I'm wondering if I should seek a second opinion? My guess is that another doc instead of suggesting a colondoscopy might just prescribe some antibiotics and see what happens next. That doesn't sound very comforting either. I don't mind spending money on a test just to be sure the inside is clean. Also does the price sound right to anyone who has had one recently in Thailand? Any comment/advice is appreciated, thank you much in advance.

I had one at the Paolo Kasetsart

( formally the Mayo ) three years ago and it was 10,000 baht then including one night in hospital as it was done at 7.00 am sharp.

Their prices are more reasonable than most so it might not hurt to phone and get a quote.

• Thanks 1

Definitely go for the colonoscopy.. in Australia my Dr says if polyp removed do again in 3 years..  With your history it is due.  I paid 20,000  Khon Kaen RAM .. 23 to 25 is in the ballpark.. I think.. I stayed overnight.. they did the prep at the hospital.. don't fool around with that one..  

If it is hard to go.. get some psyllium husks.. can get on Lazada if nowhere else.. 2 tablespoons in a glass of water.. gulp it down.. no taste but gluggy.. drink more water after.. makes things easy.. good luck..

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318707.php

• Thanks 1

Midway report - I postponed the colonoscopy at St. Louis for later. In the meantime I went to see another GI doc (referred by a TV member here) at Vitchaiyut Hospital. I told him about my last colonoscopy 3 years ago where a couple of polyps got snipped off. And also of my normal diet which includes a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables, which enabled my doing number two quite comfortably and regularly (at least twice a day...) Doc's focus then turns to the upper floor ie the stomach and he wants to do a gastroscopy first.

That left me wonder: If I were a local Thai as opposed to a farang, would doc suggest either test right away, or give some medication instead? He told me while waiting for the test schedule for this coming Saturday I should get by with laxative and probiotics. No prescription given.

In short, first opinion suggests a colonoscopy, second opinion a gastroscopy. By now I begin to think that my symptoms started with a bout of food poisoning, thus the bad guys ought to be whatever (bad) bacteria or parasites that might have gotten into my guts and screwed up my digestive tracks. And to treat these I should need medication instead, or do the docs need to see the insides first? I hope someone familiar with this kinda predicament would chime in, or TV medical guru SheryL could put in a word or two...Thanks a million,

I used to have chronic diarrhea for some weeks. It started with a food poisoning that was cured with 5 days Ciprofloxacin. Some time later the diarrhea (or mushy stool) came back. Went to BNH as well as Samitivej; the suggested treatment was:

1. Try more antibiotics. Azithromycin; after that it was a week of Metronidazole. Didn’t do anything. 
2. Stool exam. Came back clear. 
3. Colonoscopy. Didn’t go for this one and the diarrhea disappeared after some time. 
4. If nothing found, it would be diagnosed as Irritable Bowel Syndrome. 

i recall the price for the colonoscopy at Samitivej would also have been in the 20-25k ballpark. 

My diet is not really the best. Carbs and meat mainly. I used to have quite some bloating. Surprisingly that’s gone since this. On the other hand, while I don’t have diarrhea or mushy stool anymore, the color is still lighter than it used to be. So I’m still thinking whether I should check or not. 

Edited by Jkrungthep
  • Thanks 1

Some of these figures are atrocious, sky high.  Im off on a 10 day cheep cheep jaunt soon,India  Bangkok airways have some good flight deals  ,last min 4500  return to Bombay   down to Goa,have a mole or two removed less than 2000 baht,  doc stated colonoscopy,endoscopy done for 1500 all in.  Anyway I like a bit of surfing,good holiday

9 hours ago, Jkrungthep said:

I used to have chronic diarrhea for some weeks. It started with a food poisoning that was cured with 5 days Ciprofloxacin. Some time later the diarrhea (or mushy stool) came back. Went to BNH as well as Samitivej; the suggested treatment was:

1. Try more antibiotics. Azithromycin; after that it was a week of Metronidazole. Didn’t do anything. 
2. Stool exam. Came back clear. 
3. Colonoscopy. Didn’t go for this one and the diarrhea disappeared after some time. 
4. If nothing found, it would be diagnosed as Irritable Bowel Syndrome. 

i recall the price for the colonoscopy at Samitivej would also have been in the 20-25k ballpark. 

My diet is not really the best. Carbs and meat mainly. I used to have quite some bloating. Surprisingly that’s gone since this. On the other hand, while I don’t have diarrhea or mushy stool anymore, the color is still lighter than it used to be. So I’m still thinking whether I should check or not. 

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. Yeah, I also begin to think that I might need antibiotics to clear up whatever bugs that are immobilizing my bowel movements. So I'm thinking of going to Chula special clinic and see what doc there might prescribe beside ordering colon/gastroscopy right off the bat. Oh boy, a 3rd opinion. What has me scratching my head is that if it was an average Thai person, I don't think those tests would be so readily prescribed without going the medication route first.

Now re your wondering about taking the test. The color of the stool depends on your diet. Mine normally is dark green due to the amount of vegetable I consume. It would go lighter yellow-ishy if I go a day or two without eating veggie. If you want to have yours come out more solid, then add oatmeal or sticky rice and other fiberish fruit (apple is an excellent example) that would add fiber to your diet. Anyway if you're over 50, a colonoscopy is recommended every 10 years. My second colonoscopy was done after a 10 years interval from my very first. 2 polyps were discovered at this time so doc suggested a 5 year interval from now on. That was 3 years ago. If you never had one and over 50, then it's time to get a colonoscopy.

37 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Some of these figures are atrocious, sky high.  Im off on a 10 day cheep cheep jaunt soon,India  Bangkok airways have some good flight deals  ,last min 4500  return to Bombay   down to Goa,have a mole or two removed less than 2000 baht,  doc stated colonoscopy,endoscopy done for 1500 all in.  Anyway I like a bit of surfing,good holiday

Let us know how it goes or even better do a trip report thread

41 minutes ago, watthong said:

Yeah, I also begin to think that I might need antibiotics to clear up whatever bugs that are immobilizing my bowel movements. So I'm thinking of going to Chula special clinic and see what doc there might prescribe beside ordering colon/gastroscopy right off the bat.

I disagree (and wish I had disagreed at that time). I would ask the hospital for a stool examination first to see if there’s any bacteria that can be killed using antibiotics before randomly taking medicine that might even more hurt your gut. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Let us know how it goes or even better do a trip report thread

thread? wish I could..ex mod suggested this.....all prices in Thailand for medical intervention are atrocious Get e visa from .gov site,not .org site,otherwise stung  and Rp is crashing

1 hour ago, izod10 said:

thread? wish I could..ex mod suggested this.....all prices in Thailand for medical intervention are atrocious Get e visa from .gov site,not .org site,otherwise stung  and Rp is crashing

yes start a thread giving details of the trip and hospital, doctors, process and costs. Wait until after for full info. It would be useful, far more useful than the numerous plastic bag threads

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

yes start a thread giving details of the trip and hospital, doctors, process and costs. Wait until after for full info. It would be useful, far more useful than the numerous plastic bag threads

Was going 21 to 31 this month,but visa issue, now cleared up. Can use visa twice over 6 months,looks as if Songkran period ok   miss rainy season there  go again september,....it really is good there hospitals spotless.....Yes Ill post if going earlier

• Like 1