Bangkok Embassy Emergency warning

samuttodd

US Embassy Bangkok just issued a warning to Americans in Thailand due to "heightened tension in the Middle East that may result in security risk
Been working here in Bangkok for many years and this is the first time I have seen one of these since 9/11. Email received just now:

Security Alert - U.S. Embassy Bangkok (January 7, 2020)

Event: Heightened Middle East Tensions

There is heightened tension in the Middle East that may result in security risks to U.S. citizens abroad. The Embassy will continue to review the security situation and will provide additional information as needed. Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive travel alerts.

Actions to Take:

· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.
· Report suspicious activity to the Royal Thai Police (emergency number 191).
· Review your personal security plans.
· Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.

Assistance:
U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand
American Citizens Services
+66 2 205 4049
+66 2 205 4000 (after hours)
[email protected]
State Department - Consular Affairs
+1 888 407 4747 or +1 202 501 4444
Thailand Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

I would imagine other embassies are doing the same, but I am not sure if this is specific to Thailand due to a credible threat that has been discovered.

Anybody else overseas and getting one for the Embassy where you are?

OMG! I nearly got a heart attack when I saw Bangkok Embassy Emergency warning. Then I clicked on it - and saw it´s only for the US Embassy. So it´s uninteresting for me as a German. Please write next time "Bangkok US Embassy Emergency warning" to protect my health. Thank you ????

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

On a related topic when we encounter random Iranians in Thailand as I often do, will they believe us if we claim to be from Toronto? 

Make a print of your passport on a t-shirt and wear it always when you leave the house. Then you are safe.

26 minutes ago, samuttodd said:

Been working here in Bangkok for many years and this is the first time I have seen one of these since 9/11. Email received just now:

The U.S. Embassy has done all kinds of security warnings over the years, sometimes for domestic issues like red-yellow shirt violence or unrest in the South, sometimes for international issues like the one at hand here. If you haven't seen them before, you haven't been paying attention!

50 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I doubt the terrorists would know whether you are American or not just by looking at you.

I think they will target the US embassies instead.

You think? You doubt? How much do you know how well connected these people really are?

The easiest targets are Americans, easy to figure that out.... 

I don't think that they'll use a drone, but I'd be damn careful from now on. 

19 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:
1 hour ago, CNXexpat said:

Make a print of your passport on a t-shirt and wear it always when you leave the house. Then you are safe.

Will that be good advice  for JT ?

Sure.  But he'll have to swing by Kao San road first.  What's the current price for a KSR Canadian passport?

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The U.S. Embassy has done all kinds of security warnings over the years, sometimes for domestic issues like red-yellow shirt violence or unrest in the South, sometimes for international issues like the one at hand here. If you haven't seen them before, you haven't been paying attention!

They haven't done one in the last 20 years to my knowledge that blanket covered the entire country. They have always been "avoid the 3 southern provinces" or "avoid the political protests".  This is the first one I can remember that said "be on the lookout wherever you are."

1 hour ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Unlikely they would target Thailand. There is probably more chance of us dying from the pollution.

Iran has an established history of assymetric warfare. Obviously they would hit Trump and the US mainland if they could. But he is a very difficult target as is the challenge of getting operatives into the US. So they will go after softer targets. The question becomes what will these softer targets be, and will they be so courteous as to limit their attacks to the localized region of the Middle East?

I know for a fact I won't die from pollution in the immediately future. I am not absolutely certain that Iran, who has good support networks throughout all of SE Asia, will be so polite as to keep its reprisals confined to the Middle East region.

I would like to hear your specific rationale for thinking it unlikely they will target Thailand? Do you have a specific reason why you think their proxy assets in SE Asia would not be utilized for this purpose?

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

I doubt the terrorists would know whether you are American or not just by looking at you.

I think they will target the US embassies instead.

Probably right.  But then again, Islamist terrorists don't really care where you're from, or whether you're black, white, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, adult, child, baby. Just as long as they blow some civilians up to further their cause and send their message. 

At least in the civilised world we aim at strategic and military targets - even though sometimes there are unintended civilian casualties. 

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

I should leave off the black socks and sandals, the hawaiin shirt and Maga hat, and lose 50 pounds then before I go out?

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

I should leave off the black socks and sandals, the hawaiin shirt and Maga hat, and lose 50 pounds then before I go out?

Socks with sandals is not an American thing. It's a German thing. I've never seen even one maga hat wearer in Thailand. 

Archived