Sa Kaeo: Brit, 71, living in Thailand killed while making U-Turn on motorcycle

webfact

One of the reasons I stick to an old fashioned push bike, on roads with no dual carriageways let alone u turns. 

RIP the poor fellow who died. He’s dead regardless of who’s to blame. 

RIP to the Brit! 

Does the " This is Thailand " apply in this particular case whether he is wrong or not and being a foreigner? being smaller it is the responsibility of the bigger vehicle to look after him no matter what therefore the car is in the wrong?????️

3 hours ago, natway09 said:

Motorcycles in Thailand. Not for me. Right or wrong the poor fella is dead.

Coming to Bangkok for 15 years already. Three years ago decided to move permanently together with the family. If I have a chance I would kill 99% of motorcycle drivers. One second you look your left mirror, and they are there, and a second later those idiots are on your right cutting you to the left. Another idiots are delivery pickup drivers, they are just flying everywhere. Next group is Toyota Fortuner drivers, they also believe they can do anything they want on the road. Sick of Thailand, moving back to the UK in February.

Edited by Chaaang
  • Haha 1

I gave up riding bikes years ago because the roads are simply too dangerous, but two things I found useful were:

- A good quality high-vis vest &

- Resorting to the ol 'Cycling proficiency' hand signals that were taught to kids in childhood in addition to using your indicators. 

I felt a bit of a prat while doing this but it left everyone in no doubt that 'the bloke dressed like a pike-float with his indicator on & sticking his arm out' fully intended to turn in that (L/R) direction!

Motorbike manufacturers could help by installing audible tones that sound whenever indicators are blinking (so that idiot riders turn them OFF afterwards) & an immobilizer preventing bikes from moving if any lights don't work.

Just my 2p...

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I only keep enough money here for living expenses, and this post is one of the reasons why, anyone wanting money off me for something that was their fault will have great difficulty getting any, and before anyone starts, the motorbike was traveling at over 80Kph.

I would wonder who made you pay for his bike and him being off work, surely not a court? Oh! wait, this is Thailand.

I think your mistaken possum. Badrabbit was at fault. He did an u turn and collided with a bike going 80kph (normal speed within speed limit) on a straight road. It was bad rabbit that should have looked better. 

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Why do you thank a scooter is the most dangerous type of motorbike? Did one attack you?

They have small wheels and do not handle, ... any gravel, or slam on the front brake to hard !!! ... And you are down, ... and like with all motor cycles in general, if you get run over, or hit something solid, ... you most probably are dead ... If not (And you are wearing a helmet) you might just walk away.

I used to hire bikes in LangKawi, a lot Previously, but when I only could hire a Scooter !!! ... I just about gave it up ! (And hired a Car instead) ... Like I could not find a simple step through for hire, on the whole strip !!!

... And I rode the scooters ! ... But well, maybe they are not as bad as I put it, ... BUT they DO have small wheels ... DO NOT handle at all well. ... or Brake in difficult situations very well, ...

...  Or well, to be Frank, ... they do not let you just step off, at speed, do a couple of Sky diver landing roles down the road .... (Hopefully miss every thing, and not get run over) ...  and escape the consequences, with a bit of Gravel rash, ... As you can get away with, when coming off from a usual bike.

Last year there was the video of the poor (RIP) French guy who came off in the middle of a local main road, in Ko Samui was it ? and he was run over !!! ... and died !!! God Rest his soul !!! ... and it was a classic Scooter, too fast, and to hard on the front Breaks accident, quite obviously, ... like he went down front first ...  and was thrown over, or of the handle bars ... ...

If he had been riding a normal bike, ... it probably would not have happend, .... and he would be still alive.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Of course it was your mistake you were merging on his road he was going straight. You have to make sure its safe to make an U turn. I would not call a bike going over 80kph on a straight road speeding. It looks like you were to blame.

I would agree with you as long as the speed limit allowed 80 Kph.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think your mistaken possum. Badrabbit was at fault. He did an u turn and collided with a bike going 80kph (normal speed within speed limit) on a straight road. It was bad rabbit that should have looked better. 

Bikers dashcam and/or CCTV might have cushioned the blow but I guess that's another thread.

1 hour ago, sambum said:

"It is the only maneuver, that I have ever come close to buying it in !!! ... and more than once by a long way !!!"

So you didn't learn you lesson the first time?

P.S Are you taking a drag on your s****f every time you type "..."? Just asking! 

No sxxff unfortunately, ...

... Yes I learnt my lesson, though well, I AM a bit Impatient ! ... Still, as I say, my impatience, only ever has just about bit me on the bum, ... when doing U-turns, ...  and particularly in heavy traffic ! .... and well also when loonies do U-turns in front of me also .... Not much you can learn from that, except if you are riding a bike, ... Always, ... ALWAYS be ready for it !!! ... ALWAYS !!! ... 

Just now, evadgib said:

Bikers dashcam and/or CCTV might have cushioned the blow but I guess that's another thread.

Unless that proves that the other bike went really really fast then there is not much to be done. I have a dashcam in my car not on my bike. 

24 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

RIP to the Brit! 

Does the " This is Thailand " apply in this particular case whether he is wrong or not and being a foreigner? being smaller it is the responsibility of the bigger vehicle to look after him no matter what therefore the car is in the wrong?????️

No not around here I think, ... Smaller Viechels keep clear of the Bigger ones ! ... Like in or on a smaller Viechel, ...  you will be the one likely killed and well, then no more arguments. even if you were in the right.

Practically, .. around here ... when on a smaller Viechel, ... it is much wiser just to let the Bigger ones go in front. ... Like they all probably go faster also, and well I have noticed this also ... ALL slower Viechels let faster ones go in front, ...  (Around here) ... like a good idea, ... so you do not end up with a conga line of angry <deleted> behind you ! ? Right.

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Almost all roads allow an 80 kph speed especially those that need u turns (larger roads)

I'm not going to disagree with you Rob, but where I stay there is a few 40 Kph on straight roads. Schools ie?

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Unless that proves that the other bike went really really fast then there is not much to be done. I have a dashcam in my car not on my bike. 

My point being that it might prevent vulnerable (ie lone/ferang) riders being unnecessarily extorted.

4 hours ago, SymS said:

U-turns are super dangerous. Roundabouts are much safer, but I understand it's not always possible, and there are associated costs with updating the infrastructure.

Maybe so. But they are safer and more efficient than one-way-at-a-time traffic lights....if, and it's a big if, the drivers understand and follow the rules.

In Jomtien, two huge and very effective roundabouts have been replaced by stupid traffic lights. With the former, never any delays, now...wasted minutes every time. The volume of traffic concerned is miniscule!

I totally agree that u-turns are inherently deadly and should be done away with.

3 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Compare an 18 yo cyclist knowing and learned the rules with an old experienced but never got driving lessons nor knowing any rules???

Rediculous. 

Have a lie down old chap. Then try again - sometime coherence arrives unexpectedly.

Rooster

I live in Central Pattaya, I'm 71, been a motorcyclist all my life ( from 16.) I watch elderly white people ride on bikes and my blood runs cold.

I just wonder when they are going to die.

Sorry but riding a bike in the West is risky, riding like a Thai in Thailand is suicidal.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

Pardon me? Who do you think you are. "for the sake of....etc." What a laugh you are.

You elderly? I can almost see you pointing.

Why are you being Hostile. 

Maybe you should be asking yourself some questions. 

Grow up. 

2 minutes ago, rocketdave said:

I live in Central Pattaya, I'm 71, been a motorcyclist all my life ( from 16.) I watch elderly white people ride on bikes and my blood runs cold.

I just wonder when they are going to die.

Sorry but riding a bike in the West is risky, riding like a Thai in Thailand is suicidal.

Ride on mate,as I said earlier I have a couple of good elderly friends who ride and do a great job of it. 

Sadly there are the majority that will be a road statistic. 

I'm reading these articles all too often. 

4 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why are you being Hostile. 

Maybe you should be asking yourself some questions. 

Grow up. 

I am hostile because you are belittling a large group of so called elderly who are perfectly able to drive. 1 or 2 procent; where did you get that knowledge? 

Maybe you are grown up, but not very contemporary. I suggest you look up some facts about 71 year old people of today. They, and that includes me, are not old farts that belong behind the geraniums. Nuff said.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chaaang said:

Coming to Bangkok for 15 years already. Three years ago decided to move permanently together with the family. If I have a chance I would kill 99% of motorcycle drivers. One second you look your left mirror, and they are there, and a second later those idiots are on your right cutting you to the left. Another idiots are delivery pickup drivers, they are just flying everywhere. Next group is Toyota Fortuner drivers, they also believe they can do anything they want on the road. Sick of Thailand, moving back to the UK in February.

Goodbye

• Like 2

Fallowing rules is grate, but it won't save anyone since others won't fallow rules. Rules are just some useless stuff to make life difficult especially for those lazy ones who want to live easy without thinking.
"Rights" is a meaningless word. Anyone can push harder have the right. Big trucks are king of roads, the last are small motorcycles that take <deleted> from others. 

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Skill and awareness matter alot. You have to drive here with eyes in all directions and as if your life truly depended upon your care and ability to be very conscious at all times. Yet even then, you have alot of other drivers with very little skill and exercising very little caution. Driving anything here is very dangerous. Be aware of that at all times. 

Proceed cautiously and look in all directions.

giphy.gif

Edited by Damrongsak