Sa Kaeo: Brit, 71, living in Thailand killed while making U-Turn on motorcycle

webfact

8 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

Eight pages mostly of posturing from the TV 'Sons of Arthritis' gang, a classic forum p-ing contest, talk of roundabouts (there is not one involved), and the classic Thai-blaming.

Not a shred of compassion for the deceased or his family.

See you next post...

Well said, accidents can happen, regardless of age, even at one's home, sometimes it's just bad luck.

Condolences to the family.

• Like 1

^ that section of Highway 317 is two lanes each way separated by concrete median strip. It's 'open road' whatever that speed km/h limit is, not that many adhere to listed speed limits in our exp driving there.

There is also a third short 'U-turn' access lane on each side, so effectively six-lanes at that point where the accident occurred.

I note this thread heading has been translated as 'while making u-turn' however I am unsure about this. He was in a u-turn lane, apparently, but stationary or moving, don't know.

There were several Thai news reports, one indicated he may have been waiting in that third lane before making his turn when hit by a car, but that's not confirmed.

I saw coverage of the 'after' which featured the car, appeared to be a Vios, embedded front-on into the opposite end of the median strip with the u-turn signpost mid-bonnet but again, no report I saw stated whether he'd been hit from behind or head-on, or just why the car had lost control to the extent it had crashed, just a police spokesman stating there had been numerous accidents at that point of the new section of highway due to high speed.

If hit from behind it wouldn't matter if he were 71 or 21.

Well never know.

Conjecture is just that.

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Vacuum said:

What's all the fuss about U-turns? One just have to wait until there's no oncoming traffic before you make the turn, how difficult can it be?

The FUSS is that so many elderly are having accidents at these U-Turns

23 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

There is also a third short 'U-turn' access lane on each side, so effectively six-lanes at that point where the accident occurred.

I note this thread heading has been translated as 'while making u-turn' however I am unsure about this. He was in a u-turn lane, apparently, but stationary or moving, don't know.

My posts have focused on "U-turns" which are in a central reservation on a two Lane Hwy, and these are very dangerous because the fast lane drivers are hooning along in that lane when it suddenly becomes non-existent and turns into an exit lane for the U-turn – – that is dangerous in the extreme and when I've been driving my car, I have cringed at the amount of times drivers have had to take evasive action/screech to a halt because they suddenly come across this, and a queue of cars and motorbikes waiting to do the turn.

Even though it is a U-turn Lane, it is extremely dangerous, and even waiting in my car to do the U-turn, I'm constantly scanning the rearview mirror to look for cars screaming up behind me.

If this was the case here, then the poor guy didn't stand a chance, and if the particular one I'm thinking about here in Phuket is anything to go by there will be quite a few regular accidents or very near misses.

3 hours ago, VYCM said:

It doesn't matter what age you are when you are sitting at one of these U-turns, because you are fair game to any hoon who isn't paying attention to the road, conditions, or traffic.

I do recall reading something from a regular poster here, Colin Neil, who was diligently waiting on his motorbike to make a right turn, when someone ran into him from behind and unfortunately the poor guy is now in a wheelchair and partially paralysed, and that is my main fear here when I'm on my bike, that some other idiot will cause me damage or my demise.

I use the motorbike for regular short trips around Patong, but some of these can be deadly, and the car for longer trips.

It's not about age it's about road safety, training, awareness and intelligence.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:
4 hours ago, VYCM said:

It doesn't matter what age you are when you are sitting at one of these U-turns, because you are fair game to any hoon who isn't paying attention to the road, conditions, or traffic.

I do recall reading something from a regular poster here, Colin Neil, who was diligently waiting on his motorbike to make a right turn, when someone ran into him from behind and unfortunately the poor guy is now in a wheelchair and partially paralysed, and that is my main fear here when I'm on my bike, that some other idiot will cause me damage or my demise.

I use the motorbike for regular short trips around Patong, but some of these can be deadly, and the car for longer trips.

It's not about age it's about road safety, training, awareness and intelligence.

The headline reads

Sa Kaeo: Brit, 71, living in Thailand killed while making U-Turn on motorcycle

it's definitely about age, please put on your reading glasses.

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I don't need reading glasses and there is nowhere in that headline, that I can see, suggesting that age caused the accident.

In addition, another poster has suggested that the accident was caused at a gap in the central reservations where U-turns are permitted – – now if that is right, anyone can be subjected to dangerous/careless driving because those things are death traps.

I'll put on my "reading glasses", if you will put on your "thinking cap".

You're obviously not reading the same words I am. 

Oh well, you can't argue with senility. 

Maybe you should trade your thinking cap in for a new one. 

• Sad 1

Of course it can happen to anyone regardless of age, could be drunk and that would make it even worse.  But the fact is when your get older, for many people your brain slows down and your reaction time slows down.

So age is also a factor and if you make the wrong decision on a bike in Thailand, you're dead. 

Edited by balo
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 4:15 AM, RJRS1301 said:

Please define “old” in your opinion.

above 60 is old to drive a motorbike, you like it or not, this is the only truth.

and i don't tell that they should not be allowed to drive, I just say that they should be smart enough to avoid driving, or not be surprised to have an accident. I feel pity for them when I see them at night on a bike...

18 minutes ago, balo said:

Of course it can happen to anyone regardless of age, could be drunk and that would make it even worse.  But the fact is when your get older, for many people your brain slows down and your reaction time slows down.

So age is also a factor and if you make the wrong decision on a bike in Thailand, you're dead. 

This is the only truth, but future dead aging bikers will never accept it...

I mentioned in an earlier post about the vehicle that hit the motorbike and rider.

Here it is, car head on, in background where people are would I guess be point of impact

81309079_1201708710220215_34418479647864

Appears the cop is pointing at point of impact in the lane prior to the gap in the median for u-turn,  this 'may' suggest the motorbike was hit from behind by a vehicle traveling in the same direction

81310013_1201709900220096_30948904134424

We will likely never know.

Edited by gomangosteen

43 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I wonder how fit, and how you will feel at 60 years of age. Many 60 year olds possibly do not fit your limited idea of ageing.

Yes, it seems that some folks here don't have a real appreciation of how fit one can be when one gets "old". Just before the age of 60 I was playing first grade interclub tennis and training for about 1 1/2 hours on a Thursday night and playing a potential maximum of 60 games on a Saturday afternoon, and on the Sunday morning I would sometimes go for a hit up with some friends.

I also played football for 40 years, so I don't consider myself old, but strange how a broadbrush approach by some posters seems to fit it all, perhaps it is they that are old before their time and are judging other folks by that example??

Edited by xylophone
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, VYCM said:

You are quite right I can't argue with early onset senility in your case, and I feel sorry for you in that regard so let me try and help you out here, and I will use the old adage, "I can explain to you but I can't understand it for you"..........

You are saying that the headline states that because the person is 71 years of age he is in some way responsible for the accident, so let's look at this another way (I'll try for your sake, but only this once). Let's say the headline read, "Sa-Kaeo Brit 28 living in Thailand killed while making U turn on motorcycle".

From that heading, and using your "powers of deduction and your same reasoning" you would have to say that the 28 year old Brit died (and the fact that you purely used age as a reason for the accident), and this was definitely about age, although nothing in that heading suggests it?

As I said previously, the heading does not suggest age was the reason for the accident.

And a recent post by "gomangosteen" along with pictures, very strongly suggests that the Brit was in the right lane to do a U-turn, doing the right thing to do a U-turn and was hit by a car, which then carried on and hit a pylon, which severely damaged the car – – speeding perhaps?

I rest my case.

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

You are quite right I can't argue with early onset senility in your case, and I feel sorry for you in that regard so let me try and help you out here, and I will use the old adage, "I can explain to you but I can't understand it for you"..........

You are saying that the headline states that because the person is 71 years of age he is in some way responsible for the accident, so let's look at this another way (I'll try for your sake, but only this once). Let's say the headline read, "Sa-Kaeo Brit 28 living in Thailand killed while making U turn on motorcycle".

From that heading, and using your "powers of deduction and your same reasoning" you would have to say that the 28 year old Brit died (and the fact that you purely used age as a reason for the accident), and this was definitely about age, although nothing in that heading suggests it?

As I said previously, the heading does not suggest age was the reason for the accident.

And a recent post by "gomangosteen" along with pictures, very strongly suggests that the Brit was in the right lane to do a U-turn, doing the right thing to do a U-turn and was hit by a car, which then carried on and hit a pylon, which severely damaged the car – – speeding perhaps?

I rest my case.

Please  cease with the logic, it will only confuse the Ms Marple ageists on the forum.

Comprehension and understanding seem to meet the "F" standard at times

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I rest my case.

58 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I rest my case

As I said Post #2, we are seeing articles of elderly guy's being killed on a monthly basis at U-turns.

We are not seeing monthly articles of 28 year old Brits being killed.

You have no case to rest.

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Where are you seeing these articles, please supply links

Only last month an elderly guy died outside Mackro Sukhumvit U-turn Pattaya riding his motorcycle/Scooter.

Seems the elderly may have a memory problem.

Look, I'm not attacking the elderly, as I said in post #2 I have elderly friends that ride and do a great job. To those of you elderly guys, ride on and ride safe.

Let's all try to help the elderly, incompetent riders survive, if this is you keep of the scooter. Surely you all see it from time to time elderly guys riding that clearly shouldn't. 

Yes,we all see lots of incompetent rider's of all ages but not alot we can do there.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 1/12/2020 at 12:47 PM, Vacuum said:

What's all the fuss about U-turns? One just have to wait until there's no oncoming traffic before you make the turn, how difficult can it be?

Yeah, in normal countries there are no difficulties. Here, in Thailand, it's always this way -> you're trying to make a u-turn, two-three rows out of four seems to be ok and letting you to make a turn, while some idiot in a row four decides to speed up, thinking he's some sort of a super hero who can avoid everything, and then, boom, and accident happens. Yesterday, returning back home to Bangkok with my family from Pattaya day trip. 20km away from home there was a u-turn under the main motorway. Two motorcycles with 3 idiots on each were racing each other. I was driving on the main road, good I had no one on my left so I did a sharp left, otherwise there would be 6 dead bodies. My wife (Thai) said, next time just drive straight. This cr@p is happening every single day here. Motorcycle drivers, pickup drivers and Fortuner drivers are idiots that are willing to die.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, xylophone said:
18 hours ago, VYCM said:

I rest my case.

Plagiarism

You can't say that it's cheating

No second prizes for senility jokes. You're plagiarizing my work.
It was clever thou, looks like you got that new thinking cap I suggested you get

Anyway, I reckon Safely First has nailed it. There are just toooo many elderly guys dying at U-turns.

What have you to say about that Sherlock?

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Plagiarism

It was clever thou, looks like you got that new thinking cap I suggested you get

Anyway, I reckon Safely First has nailed it. There are just toooo many elderly guys dying at U-turns.

And as another poster has suggested to the post by "Safety First", and I will say to you, to prove your point please supply the links to those "Toooo many" elderly guys dying at U-turns, and then search to find out how many people not considered elderly are dying on U-turns or indeed on the roads in general. 

And as "Safety First" has admitted, there are far too many incompetent drivers on the road who are not elderly, so that says more about Thailand and its drivers than it does about the elderly, which was my point.

And to round it off, RIP to the poor guy who was killed, and condolences to his family, because this man was sitting on his bike at a U-turn, just as he should have been, when through no fault of his own he was hit by a car and killed, so you're still certain that it was because of his age, that he died and not because of some incompetent car driver??

Go figure Sherlock.

13 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Surely you all see it from time to time elderly guys riding that clearly shouldn't. 

And far more young Thais, Chinese tourists, and tourists of every nationality and age............you've got a big job on your hands clearing all of the "incompetents" of the road and sure some may be elderly, but no more dangerous or incompetent than the others mentioned.

If you use a broad brush approach because some older riders are killed, then the same should apply to all!

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:
28 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Plagiarism

And as another poster has suggested to the post by "Safety First", and I will say to you, to prove your point please supply the links to those "Toooo many" elderly guys dying at U-turns, and then search to find out how many people not considered elderly are dying on U-turns or indeed on the roads in general. 

And as "Safety First" has admitted, there are far too many incompetent drivers on the road who are not elderly, so that says more about Thailand and its drivers than it does about the elderly, which was my point.

And to round it off, RIP to the poor guy who was killed, and condolences to his family, because this man was sitting on his bike at a U-turn, just as he should have been, when through no fault of his own he was hit by a car and killed, so you're still certain that it was because of his age, that he died and not because of some incompetent car driver??

Go figure Sherlock

Plagiarism

No second prizes for SHERLOCK jokes. You're plagiarizing my work.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1803404/elderly-british-biker-dies-in-pattaya-car-crash

52 minutes ago, VYCM said:

You really don't get it, do you ?

The majority of accidents is caused by young, reckless drivers.

Elder drivers tend to be very cautious, your blaming accidents on age is total nonsense.

12 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:
1 hour ago, VYCM said:

You really don't get it, do you ?

The majority of accidents is caused by young, reckless drivers.

Elder drivers tend to be very cautious, your blaming accidents on age is total nonsense.

OMG, you elderly have too much time

Annoying comments.........I'm not blaming accidents on AGE, its about not being competent, a special skill set is required to ride on roads in Thailand.

So, Let's just continue to encourage the Reckless, Elderly, incompetent to keep riding.

Its very traumatic for the 3rd party involved in an accident when a death occurs.

53 minutes ago, VYCM said:

Plagiarism

No second prizes for SHERLOCK jokes. You're plagiarizing my work.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1803404/elderly-british-biker-dies-in-pattaya-car-crash

Just a hint for you here.......... I think terms using "Sherlock" have been used for decades, so you are saying that everyone who has used this term is plagiarising your work!!! Well I never!

I'm afraid your one link to an accident in Pattaya won't cut the mustard, and I suggest you look at the statistics I will post for you below................

The Global status report on road safety 2018, launched by WHO in December 2018, highlights that the number of annual road traffic deaths has reached 1.35 million. Road traffic injuries are now the leading killer of people aged 5-29 years and road accidents accounted for 20,169 deaths in Thailand last year, with most of those killed being students and youth.

Speeding, drunken driving and failing to wear proper helmets are the primary causes of traffic deaths in the country, Thai officials said.

A prime example of the effect of the sabai sabai way of life on traffic safety is the approach to helmets. Many motorcyclists simply don’t bother.

Age is mentioned in a few places, but nowhere does it suggest in this or any of the other links and articles I have looked at that the elderly are irresponsible on the roads, or should be taken off them – – more likely the youths, the drunk and the reckless.

Now why don't you go and search a few other posts for "plagiarism", because I've got better things to do than argue with someone who cannot understand what is written in a sentence, as per the headline for this thread, because as I said, nowhere, but nowhere, does it suggest that age was responsible for this poor person's death. 

PS. Quote VYCM: I'm not blaming accidents on AGE, its about not being competent, a special skill set is required to ride on roads in Thailand.

Ah, I see you have changed your position vs your earlier posts.......so now we should take all of the "non competent" drivers of the roads. Well that means the vast majority of drivers in your opinion!!

Bye bye Sherlock..........

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 2