Drunk Scottish Driver In Horrific Accident.............

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya People: April 2nd 2007

Another Tragic Accident by Drunk Driver

A young Scottish national was drunk and driving a Honda Jazz car around Pattaya on 1st April. At approximately 3.30 am he hit a Thai man who works as a garbage collector leaving the man scarred for life.

The Dongtan police received a report early on Sunday morning from staff from a 7-Eleven stores on Jomtien Beach Soi 13 that an accident between a car and a local garbage truck occurred in front of the store and there was someone seriously injured at the scene.

On arrival the team found that the Honda Jazz car, driven by drunken Mr. Gordon James McCarry, aged 24, from Scotland, smashed into the rear of the garbage truck when the injured was standing behind the truck collecting garbage.

The injured man was crying in pain. He is aged around 50 and could not give any statement other than cry. Both his legs were chopped off from the hit and he had lost a lot of blood. The team had to quickly bandage his legs together and sent him to the hospital.

As for McCarry; he could not give any statement either since he was completely drunk. The officers measured up to 211 milligrams percent in him, which is way over the limit of 50 milligrams according to Thai law.

Witnesses stated that the Jazz driver came at high speed, didn’t step on the brakes and acted like he didn’t even see the garbage truck. It smashed right into the rear, which had this unfortunate man standing behind.

McCarry was charged and locked up. Further proceedings will go ahead after he sobers up.

Graphic Photographs Withheld For Reasons Of Taste.

Jesus, that is horrific. I really hope the police start to crack down on these drunk drivers. As usually happens though, the drunk guy will probably be let off with financial payment for the guy he crippled!! Poor guy losing both his legs!!

shouldnt the hire car company or persons also be held responsible in some way,bet the drunkard doesnt even hold a u/k driving liscence let alone a Thai /International one

let the b####r spend a few years in the monkey house then deport him to be prosocuted in jock land as well.

prosocute the hire company also

The **** should be forced to heavily compensate the poor guy and his family and then go to jail. :o

Better yet, he should be forced to remain in Thailand and work to support the victim's family. That and pay for whatever prosthetic equipment can help the victim regain some of the quality of life he will lose over this.

No doubt that the clown who hit him will be back home long before this man's suffering ends.

Bloody hel_l, he's a bit more than 'scarred for life'. Stupid driver. I do get angry at drink driving, those that cack on 'oh I do do it, but I've never had an accident' really get my goat. I could throttle them, my family could be in the way of you on the occasion that you do have an accident. There should be a police hot line to report those who drink and drive.

I second the proposal that the sweaty sock has to stay in Thailand and support the man he has maimed. I think that doing his job would be a good way to start. I can just picture him in his kilt picking up the rubbish.

• 1 month later...

*CAUTION: Extremely unsettling update. Those with high blood pressure are advised to skip reading this*

UPDATE...as the story goes international, turns out the victim died the day after the original post

THAI HORROR

EXCLUSIVE Drink-drive Scot under house arrest for killing binman

A SCOTS drink-driver is under house arrest in Thailand accused of crushing a binman to death while four times the limit.

Gordon McCarry, 24, piled into the back of a refuse truck in Pattaya at high speed, severing the 50-year-old worker's legs. The man, who had been standing behind the truck picking up a bin, died in hospital 24 hours later.

Holidaymaker McCarry was held in cells overnight before being released on bail. He has had his passport confiscated and cannot leave the country.

He has admitted drink-driving but may face further charges over the man's death.

McCarry, of Partick, Glasgow, had been in the resort with his twin brother David and was staying with relatives.

Last night his mother Rona Griffiths, 55, said he faces months of uncertainty before finding out what he is charged with. She added: "Gordon has pled guilty to the drink-drive part of the charge and been fined around £70 but we do not know what is going to happen with the other charges.

"He says he wasn't drunk the night the accident happened but had been drinking the previous day. He is not a drinker normally. "He had gone for a holiday with his brother and decided to stay on because he was enjoying himself."

"He is on bail but has been told he cannot leave the country. David has since come back and is in a daze over what has happened.

Gordon himself can't take it in and finds it difficult to talk about what happened.

"My partner Chris and I were due to go on holiday to Spain this week but had to cancel because of the uncertainty over Gordon."

"It is difficult to get answers from the Thai authorities because things move so slowly out there."

"We are all beside ourselves with worry. Our worse fear is that the Thais will send him to prison." McCarry was cruising around Pattaya in a hired Honda Jazz car when the fatal crash happened in the town's Jontien Beach area on April 1.

His breath test reading was 211 milligrams - more than four times the legal limit of 50.

A witness said: "The driver came at high speed as if he did not even see the truck. It smashed right into the rear, which had this man standing behind."

A Thai newspaper report claimed McCarry was initially too drunk to give a statement to police, who were alerted by staff at a nearby store who saw the crash.

It's understood the car was a write-off but McCarry only suffered minor cuts and bruises. Police in Pattaya last week launched a crackdown on drink driving following a spate of incidents involving drunk tourists.

Penalties have been increased - in future first time drink drivers will be given community service and probation rather than just a fine.

- The Sunday Mail (UK)

==========================

I can't recall reading a more anger-provoking story in quite some time.

The perps' family and friends are disgusting...

Edited by sriracha john

i agree sj

no remorse at all

...just self pity :o

i hope that a real punnshment is handed out....not 1-2 mths uk wages and walking away from it

imho how this case is resolved could deter other farang drunk drivers i.e if the scot gets a meanial fine and that's it then it's hardly a a deterrent to other farangs that drink/drive

The pri*k deserves everything that's comming to him.

cdnvic has it right he should be made to stay and work to support the poor guys family.

SJ totaly agree with you the family are low lifes, & I'm a jock.

*CAUTION: Extremely unsettling update. Those with high blood pressure are advised to skip reading this*

UPDATE...as the story goes international, turns out the victim died the day after the original post

THAI HORROR

EXCLUSIVE Drink-drive Scot under house arrest for killing binman

A SCOTS drink-driver is under house arrest in Thailand accused of crushing a binman to death while four times the limit.

Gordon McCarry, 24, piled into the back of a refuse truck in Pattaya at high speed, severing the 50-year-old worker's legs. The man, who had been standing behind the truck picking up a bin, died in hospital 24 hours later.

Holidaymaker McCarry was held in cells overnight before being released on bail. He has had his passport confiscated and cannot leave the country.

He has admitted drink-driving but may face further charges over the man's death.

McCarry, of Partick, Glasgow, had been in the resort with his twin brother David and was staying with relatives.

Last night his mother Rona Griffiths, 55, said he faces months of uncertainty before finding out what he is charged with. She added: "Gordon has pled guilty to the drink-drive part of the charge and been fined around £70 but we do not know what is going to happen with the other charges.

"He says he wasn't drunk the night the accident happened but had been drinking the previous day. He is not a drinker normally. "He had gone for a holiday with his brother and decided to stay on because he was enjoying himself."

"He is on bail but has been told he cannot leave the country. David has since come back and is in a daze over what has happened.

Gordon himself can't take it in and finds it difficult to talk about what happened.

"My partner Chris and I were due to go on holiday to Spain this week but had to cancel because of the uncertainty over Gordon."

"It is difficult to get answers from the Thai authorities because things move so slowly out there."

"We are all beside ourselves with worry. Our worse fear is that the Thais will send him to prison." McCarry was cruising around Pattaya in a hired Honda Jazz car when the fatal crash happened in the town's Jontien Beach area on April 1.

His breath test reading was 211 milligrams - more than four times the legal limit of 50.

A witness said: "The driver came at high speed as if he did not even see the truck. It smashed right into the rear, which had this man standing behind."

A Thai newspaper report claimed McCarry was initially too drunk to give a statement to police, who were alerted by staff at a nearby store who saw the crash.

It's understood the car was a write-off but McCarry only suffered minor cuts and bruises. Police in Pattaya last week launched a crackdown on drink driving following a spate of incidents involving drunk tourists.

Penalties have been increased - in future first time drink drivers will be given community service and probation rather than just a fine.

- The Sunday Mail (UK)

==========================

I can't recall reading a more anger-provoking story in quite some time.

The perps' family and friends are disgusting...

I totally agree with you it makes me feel sick.

Having lost some friends to a drunk driver I am all for a mandartory 5 year prison sentence every drink driver regardless of the amount that they are over

shouldnt the hire car company or persons also be held responsible in some way,bet the drunkard doesnt even hold a u/k driving liscence let alone a Thai /International one

let the b####r spend a few years in the monkey house then deport him to be prosocuted in jock land as well.

prosocute the hire company also

They should lock him up and throw away the key!!!

But Dave why prosecute the rental company he was probably sober when he hired the car. They cannot be held responsible for the actions of all their clients.

You don't know everything they said, you only know what was reported. Perhaps they're still in shock over the incident? Anyone would express concern over a friend even in a horrible situation like this. You don't know their feelings about the man who died because you don't have all the information.

I always find it amazing how so many people on this forum are such saints. Look around you guys - this is happening all the time - my maid told me at the weekend that a farang smacked a stationary thai off his motorbike on Soi Siam Country Club and he is in ICU with 3% chance of survival. How many times, have you seen countless flower and spirit house memorials to the dead who tragically died in accidents. I am not saying that this guy was correct in anyway, but really some of the comments are just so ridiculous, until of course it happens to you....... Then suddenly 1,000,000b saves you from going to jail.

Police in Pattaya last week launched a crackdown on drink driving following a spate of incidents involving drunk tourists.

Why only against tourists ?

I would guess that at least 90% of all D&D incidents are Thai on Thai.

PCN, PP and all the other pillars of local journalism just fail to report them.

I always find it amazing how so many people on this forum are such saints. Look around you guys - this is happening all the time - my maid told me at the weekend that a farang smacked a stationary thai off his motorbike on Soi Siam Country Club and he is in ICU with 3% chance of survival. How many times, have you seen countless flower and spirit house memorials to the dead who tragically died in accidents. I am not saying that this guy was correct in anyway, but really some of the comments are just so ridiculous, until of course it happens to you....... Then suddenly 1,000,000b saves you from going to jail.

This was not an accident, it was a death caused by someone driving while drunk, he knowingly got in a car whilst drunk, there should be compensation for the family followed by a time in a Thai Jail, and a life time ban from driving again anywhere.

Do not confuse accidents with some one willfully and knowingly doing something that is against the law.

I stick by my original post. The man should now be imprisoned and fined the equivalent of the victims wages. Assuming the rubbish picker would work until he is 65 and at say 5k baht a month multiplyed by the lenght of time he would have had left to work, (15 years) add an extra 20% to take care of inflation and then the funeral expenses and give it all to the family. Not likely to happen though is it? :o

RIP

I stick by my original post. The man should now be imprisoned and fined the equivalent of the victims wages. Assuming the rubbish picker would work until he is 65 and at say 5k baht a month multiplyed by the lenght of time he would have had left to work, (15 years) add an extra 20% to take care of inflation and then the funeral expenses and give it all to the family. Not likely to happen though is it? :o

RIP

Yeah what you say is right of course, assuming someone is going to look after the injured/dead persons family. However there is nobody to do that, except the driver - so how it works is you buy off the family by providing the compensation and get off from further problems. Not saying its right but thats how it is - money talks in a country like this, particularly if the person injured is a relative nobody. so you put the guy in Jail and who pays the compensation? Family end up with nothing - why pay compensation AND do jail time - its one or the other - just the way it is here.

Yeah what you say is right of course, assuming someone is going to look after the injured/dead persons family. However there is nobody to do that, except the driver - so how it works is you buy off the family by providing the compensation and get off from further problems. Not saying its right but thats how it is - money talks in a country like this, particularly if the person injured is a relative nobody. so you put the guy in Jail and who pays the compensation? Family end up with nothing - why pay compensation AND do jail time - its one or the other - just the way it is here.

You're right Digger, there will be a Financial settlement, it's the way things are done in Thailand. It's not like the mans wife can go to the Social Security office and sign on for a widows pension.

This Scottish guys lawyer will be negotiating a settlement deal, when it's agreeable to the Family of the deceased, the money will change hands and the Scottish guy can go home.

That's the way it is.

I fail to see there's any excuse for a drunk driver who causes bodily harm or death to a third party.

When a person drives out to drink, he's sober and has made his judgement call and has already committed a serious crime. If he doesn't hurt or kill someone, then he's just lucky. The laws are far too lenient in most countries IMO.

Call it manslaughter or even homicide as that is really what it is. The only difference to "standard" homicide is that the drunk driver doesn't know his victims.

Edited by tropo

So pay off the family and then this parasite can fly back to Scotland and possibly do it again? What if he hits a child this time? I'm guessing what happens in Thailand stays in Thailand right? I'd not be too happy letting my kids play out on the same street this c!@& lives on

Scumbag

About 5 years ago my husband's aunt was struck by a young Scottish guy driving a motorcycle. She was standing on the side of the road and he clipped her as he drove by at high speed, breaking her leg in two places and causing serious enough head wounds that they nearly ended up having to drill a hole in her skull to release the pressure build up. Fortunately, the swelling went down enough that it wasn't necessary. However, she was 65 at the time and it took 2 years of physical therapy to allow her to walk with the use of a cane.

The young Scottish guy didn't want to let his parents know as he was afraid to get in trouble. So, my uncle-in-law settled for what he could get. Which did not cover the total cost of her hospital bills. If they had consulted me I would have called his parents and told them what a little sh!t their son was and demanded they pay her bills and rehab.

Reading this makes me wonder if it is the same selfish person. The age would be about right.

what a little sh!t their son .

same selfish person.

You're the master of understatement. Surely there are stronger adjectives that you can use without being banned?? :o

Better yet, he should be forced to remain in Thailand and work to support the victim's family.

That needs a work permit.

Also in another post there is a mention of community service. That also needs a work permit.

These things may work for Thai-on-Thai 'accidents', but for non-WP farangs, tourist or resident, there is a whole slew of regulations to reverse.

• 5 weeks later...

:o sawasdee guys

If I can make a point to you angels out there.

I am in no way condoning what McCarry has done, he deserves everything he gets, so don't get me wrong as does anyone who decides to drink and drive.

Sure in Thailand money talks and bulls**t walks, the way of the world my friends.

Sad fact is the guy is dead, throwing McCarry in jail is not going to help the dead mans family in anyway, it might give them some satisfaction knowing that that clown is going to suffer to some extent for killing their son/brother/father/husband by rotting in the Monkey House. Make him pay for what would have been the rest of the Thai mans natural life sounds a good idea, but wake up to yourselves it does not take the brain of Britain to know that that is certainly not going to happen does it.

How any of you can turn round and say that McCarrys family are low lifes and scum is beyond me. They were not driving the car, the did not hire it, they did not get him drunk, HE DID, so don't blame them or denegrate them, it is not their fault, the blame lies squarely with him and no one else.

Some of you still show your face as English racist louts, with comments such as Sweaty Sock, Jock, and Jock land to quote but a few. The Scottish are not the only ones who have drunken idiots roaming the streets in foreign countries or otherwise, the English (or should I say Sassenachs, hooligans, soccer louts, fascists, or even Poms) do too.

I myself know (some personnally) Englishmen, Germans, Swedish, Austrians, Dutch, Arabs, Australians, Kiwis, and many more nationalities INCLUDING THAIS who get drunk make an absolute <deleted> of themselves, they drink drive have accidents & kill, some mame, stab, shoot and sometimes just beat the crap out of people who are going around minding their own business. I have witnessed many ENGLISH fighting in places such as

Soi Bhua Khao with their victims requiring hospitalisation and worse. Should we put their families in jail, or make them pay for the victims of those crimes, of course not, so wake up up to yourselves guys, it's not where the perp comes from that matters, it's the fact he she or they, do what they do and they alone are responsible not their families or friends.

The Thais are a forgiving race of people and believe in Kharma, so what goes around comes around.

Cheers

Roo

Australia

:o sawasdee guys

How any of you can turn round and say that McCarrys family are low lifes and scum is beyond me. They were not driving the car, the did not hire it, they did not get him drunk, HE DID, so don't blame them or denegrate them, it is not their fault, the blame lies squarely with him and no one else.

Cheers

Roo

Australia

Where did this come from ???? I read the other posts and I did not see anyone blame his family. Are there posts being deleted that I am not seeing ???

SBK said she would have notified the family of a young scottish person that hit her relative and escaped with little payment because he did not want to get into trouble with his parents. I assume this meant he was still young enough that his parents would be responsible for his debts ? This does not say that his family are scum or in anyway caused him to get drunk and drive.