Immigration wanting photos and passports of all Americans in PrachuapKirikan

If I were an American (with nothing to hide) then I would see this as a good thing.

Thailand knows that it has terrorists living within it's borders. Can I mention the 'M' word? Many of them with access to weapons and/or explosives.

It only takes one fanatic to wreak havoc and to kill innocent people.

I would think that it would be useful for the authorities to know who to warn.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Really

Prachuap Khiri Khan Town?..... Dansingkorm immigration office?

I find it hard to imagine the 3 (most times 2)  musketeers from Dansingkorn office trotting around doing overtime to take pictures of people,

I actually dont think i know of anyone who has had a visit from the powers on high in PKK 

But then again best to be safe  So we need to know these muricans are!

11 minutes ago, poohy said:

Really

Prachuap Khiri Khan Town?..... Dansingkorm immigration office?

I find it hard to imagine the 3 (most times 2)  musketeers from Dansingkorn office trotting around doing overtime to take pictures of people,

I actually dont think i know of anyone who has had a visit from the powers on high in PKK 

But then again best to be safe  So we need to know these muricans are!

Hua Hin officers

1 hour ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Thanks.  I don't follow the news or politics, so the article explained the Thailand connection.  Nice to see Thai officials being proactive and checking up on Americans to make sure they are safe.

Edited by SEtonal
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, d2b2 said:

Hua Hin officers

Fair enough but its the first time that i ever heard on a immigration visit in PKK to anyone in the 7/8 years i have lived here

Although must admit i dont know any Americans here... maybe you are special

Edited by poohy
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, merijn said:

This must be a local immigration boss brain wave as there is no official requirement for this.

Personally i would challenge this and ask very politely for written proof for this requirement.

immigration officials occasionally will visit the foreigners in their districts to confirm they reside where they claim to be residing.  they certainly have the authority to visit, ask to see passports, and take a photo.

don't think you'd do yourself any favors by refusing or causing a scene.

and with all the complaints about lazy and useless officials, it's almost a shock to see one thinking ahead, being proactive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MartinL said:

The same thing reported in khonkaenforum.net in the last couple of days.

Same reported by an American facebook contact in bangkok.. 

Says they came to his condo asking for IDs and up dated info only on any americans in the condo. 

2 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

immigration officials occasionally will visit the foreigners in their districts to confirm they reside where they claim to be residing.  they certainly have the authority to visit, ask to see passports, and take a photo.

don't think you'd do yourself any favors by refusing or causing a scene.

and with all the complaints about lazy and useless officials, it's almost a shock to see one thinking ahead, being proactive.

A thinking immigration officer is one thing but inventing new rules is something different.

And visiting foreigners homes (not relating to a possible extension of stay application) is not common practice. 

There is no harm to ask the visiting officers in a friendly way to ask for the reason and clarification of their visit.

I don't say that i'm against it but i'm against local immigration officers making up their own rules. ( why have already enough of them walking around)

38 minutes ago, Hachi said:

Here's another- Australian, in the boonies out of Udon Thani.

Had the nearest town police (apx 15km away) turn up no notice this afternoon at the village house, wanted to see pport, housebook, TH ID, and told to stand there and photographed holding each ID.

Missus also had to show her TH ID, photographed together holding ID's.

Asked officer why more forms required completion when for 14+ years living in TH, 3+ at current add and filling form after form after form, annual visas, 90 day reports,  fingerprints scanned, photos, etc, why not access all the info available on their immig mainframe.

No answer forthcoming. I took a photo of the blank form before it was completed. It is a intel gathering form. Also vehicle/s bike/s details, regos, tel numbers and so on.

This new atttention on foreigners here may just be the tipping point for me.

Did you just renew your 12 month extension based on marriage? 

Home visit is not unusual. 

I live bkk but stay thani often. Will be interested to chat with xpats there soon about your experience.

Was this just home visit for marriage and you being drama queen?

Edited by DrJack54
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Hachi said:

I took a photo of the blank form before it was completed. It is a intel gathering form. Also vehicle/s bike/s details, regos, tel numbers and so on.

Did this form, perchance, resemble the dreaded Foreign National Information form (see attachment) that was all the Immigration rage a few years ago?

Foreign National Information.pdf

• Thanks 1