French nationals busted at Bangkok call centre

webfact

9 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Unlikely that a bona fide French company would open a call center in Bangkok to cater to its clients in France.

Really? There are call centres servicing British and America clients all over Asia. Citibank's call centre is in The Philippines. American Express has at least one call centre in India. The only thing that might raise questions is the small number of French speakers in Thailand who might want to work in a call centre

• Like 2

Just now, ThaiBunny said:

Really? There are call centres servicing British and America clients all over Asia. Citibank's call centre is in The Philippines. American Express has at least one call centre in India. The only thing that might raise questions is the small number of French speakers in Thailand who might want to work in a call centre

Exactly, what I meant is a call center in Bangkok, staffed with French nationals. Smells fishy. As far as I know, call center agents in the Philippines are usually Filipino, so they are hired instead of native English speakers at considerably lower cost.

• Like 2

So if i have a business abroad and i am on a holiday in Thailand, i pick up the phone to help a client, answer a email, sell a product to one of my clients and/or help any client of mine in any way i am a illegal worker in Thailand because a Thai could do this job? Is this serieus?

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2020 at 4:26 PM, lazygourmet said:

Nothing to do with digital nomads.

This was batlantly a boiler room. 

They contacted me four/five times the other week with the boiler room scams.

They came out with <deleted> that they were calling from Ireland with this ' amazing stock offer ' this came hot on the heels after I was contacted via a Filipino woman saying she was doing a ' survey ' on foreigners living long term in Thailand. I think they got my phone via Facebook when I inquired for a quote on health insurance.

They called at between 9am and 10am which , had it been actually real, the dumb pillocks would only have been 2am to 3am in Ireland and you don't go calling people for business from Ireland at that time in the morning regardless of the time difference!.

I will add this is the first time I have been contacted by them in 25 plus years.

I kept saying ' not interested ' I control my own affairs but they kept persisting with a different caller pretending that there had been a miscommunication. I eventually lost my temper and told them to ' <deleted> off ' and that I knew the scam they were pulling. They hung up and no calls since.

Be vigilant people!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

No, there's no difference in thai law.

Even the Thai police have a degree of common sense!

1 hour ago, ThailandGuy said:

So if i have a business abroad and i am on a holiday in Thailand, i pick up the phone to help a client, answer a email, sell a product to one of my clients and/or help any client of mine in any way i am a illegal worker in Thailand because a Thai could do this job? Is this serieus?

I doubt its serious, believable or actionable by the police.

49 minutes ago, natway09 said:

It is a boiler room not a legal identity. They are sitting in Bangkok scamming their own people 

in their mother tongue & being paid exorbitant commissions paid in Thai Bht without any tax

to rip them off.

How can anyone on here justify that what they are doing is even morally right?

A load of people that don't know the ins and outs or have never been contacted by these boiler room scam artists giving their views and opinions which are wrong.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, EricTh said:

This case proves that it is ILLEGAL to do online business.

2. Legal money transfer and taxation

3. Company is registered in Singapore (not in Thailand)

This is nothing to do with digital nomads or "online business".

Nothing boiler-rooms do is legal or taxed!

How do you now where the boiler-room business is registered?

Edited by Just Weird

1 hour ago, ThailandGuy said:

No, if you have a business abroad, set up an office and fill it with 9 foreign employees on tourist visas and begin work, irrespective of whether or not it is a protected occupation your are working illegally.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Working without a work permit and not having the appropriate visa

Still we are in the same little box, just refusing to open the lid, right?

You of all people that read all the work and visa threads???? But we do same with you, as with all others that are trying to state that beeing a digital nomad is considered as work in Thailand.

Just because they do not have a description of the nature of the work or neither a name for that work, it can not according to the law be classified as a work in Thailand. Therefore there is no need for a work permit, because you are not seen as working in Thailand. 

Don´t you think they would have been cracking down on that already if there was a legal foundation for it?

But sure, I will give you the same chance like I´ve given all others. Show me the labour law, where it is described or taken up as a work. Or if you can find anything about it in the immigration law, that will also be fine.

I have read both the Thai and the English versions of the two laws, and there is nothing that will be possibile to use in a legal way as a foundation for saying that working as a digital nomad in Thailand, as long as you do not have a customer foundation in Thailand or offer something that the common Thai worker can do, to criminalize that. Simple because it is not described as a work, or can fall as included in any other description in the labour law.

If you now can´t find anything to contest what I write. Can you please be kind to not repeat such misleading information in a post again.

17 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Still we are in the same little box, just refusing to open the lid, right?

You of all people that read all the work and visa threads???? But we do same with you, as with all others that are trying to state that beeing a digital nomad is considered as work in Thailand.

Just because they do not have a description of the nature of the work or neither a name for that work, it can not according to the law be classified as a work in Thailand. Therefore there is no need for a work permit, because you are not seen as working in Thailand. 

Don´t you think they would have been cracking down on that already if there was a legal foundation for it?

But sure, I will give you the same chance like I´ve given all others. Show me the labour law, where it is described or taken up as a work. Or if you can find anything about it in the immigration law, that will also be fine.

I have read both the Thai and the English versions of the two laws, and there is nothing that will be possibile to use in a legal way as a foundation for saying that working as a digital nomad in Thailand, as long as you do not have a customer foundation in Thailand or offer something that the common Thai worker can do, to criminalize that. Simple because it is not described as a work, or can fall as included in any other description in the labour law.

If you now can´t find anything to contest what I write. Can you please be kind to not repeat such misleading information in a post again.

You are misleading people. If you work in Thailand you need a work permit.

Show me the exceptions in the labor law where it says you don't need one if your customer is outside Thailand.

If you are so sure, give me the place where you work from, I will send somebody from the labor office, you admit that you work for a customer outside Thailand and we take it from there.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2020 at 12:21 PM, EricTh said:

1. No jobs was taken away from Thai people as their clients were in France and Belgium.

2. Legal money transfer and taxation

3. Company is registered in Singapore (not in Thailand)

The Singapore company employed farangs to work in a call centre in Thailand so how is this not taking jobs away from Thai people? How on earth did you come up with the idea that the money transfers were legal. It was more likely a boiler room type operation or money laundering business otherwise the Singapore company would have a legitimate call centre.

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Show me the exceptions in the labor law where it says you don't need one if your customer is outside Thailand.

If you are so sure, give me the place where you work from, I will send somebody from the labor office, you admit that you work for a customer outside Thailand and we take it from there.

So, that means that you made all the co-working spaces illegal? Do you really understand what it is you are posting?

Edited by Matzzon

8 hours ago, Caldera said:

Unlikely that a bona fide French company would open a call center in Bangkok to cater to its clients in France. They were probably flogging something "unregulated" or outright illegal. Online gambling, binary options, yet another "coin", the likes. Au revoir, messieurs.

Indeed,  they would be most likely be located in Morocco  and employ Moroccans. But I don't know anything about this business.

1 hour ago, Jaggg88 said:

The Singapore company employed farangs to work in a call centre in Thailand so how is this not taking jobs away from Thai people? How on earth did you come up with the idea that the money transfers were legal. It was more likely a boiler room type operation or money laundering business otherwise the Singapore company would have a legitimate call centre.

Do any Thai people know how to speak fluent French because all their customers are in France and Belgium? They can't even manage English which they studied for 11 years.

The report doesn't state whether it is a legal or illegal company or else the Singapore government would have come out to state by now that it is an illegal money-laundering company. 

In case you don't know where to check for official news in Singapore, click below.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia

Just like with other 'digital nomad', the main reason of opening a call center in Thailand is due to the low cost versus opening up a similar call center in Singapore.

Edited by EricTh

8 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Yes sure, such as work as owning a rental place offshore.

Either ur old guys <deleted> is work or nohting is work.

I think it would be saver to kick out all old people who have rental property overseas, they clearly break the law.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Wiki - Digital nomads are a type of people who use telecommunications technologies to earn a living and, more generally, conduct their life in a nomadic manner.[1] Such workers often work remotely from foreign countries, coffee shops, public libraries, co-working spaces, or recreational vehicles. This news post is about an illegal call centre sited permanently in a converted house in Thailand.

Wiki is a medium where anyone can post. Nothing to do with the LAW

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

So you aren't taking the challenge then?

What challenge? I sked you to provide me with facts and not fiction. Is that the challenge you are talking about, because you surely seem to avoid that.

if you mean regarding me and my work? That is not done without WP. I have a setup company and more than 10 Thais working in it.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:51 PM, Just Weird said:

No, it would be VOIP equipment to disguise where they were really calling from.

The truth be known, someone knew about this and face saving mode is on so that the whole story does not surface.

French Scamming organisation accidentally busted by rookie cop

9f

• Confused 1