Good source for hepa-filter masks?

Cheesekraft

N95 masks are usually sufficient unless if you are at ground zero, you don't even need N99 or N100 masks until it hits comfortably over 1000 ug/m3.   N100 is basically HEPA. 

That said, i have used N95 masks under 3000+ ug/m3 conditions on the meter (fireworks, ground) and yeah it's somewhat insufficient.

N95, lets take it to be 90% (round down from 95%), 3000 ug/m3 means 300 ug/m3 post filter. If you really get everything to be fitted and sealed, probably closer to 150 ug/m3 post filter.

If you use those respirators with replaceable cartridges, the advantage is that they are much more comfortable to wear for prolonged periods, and there is usually less fuss in doing everyday physical tasks while donning them as the fit is usually better.  For eg, some doing marathons/cycling use those big respirators instead of the small disposable ones as it's a running activity, with sweat and stuff like that.

So it ultimately depends on what are you looking for.

• Like 1

Why should a N95 mask not be sufficient?

Usually the highest ug/m3 we see here in Thailand are about 250ug/m3

If you wear a N95 mask this would mean the air you breath has 12.5ug/m3, which is similar to the air in clean countries, and should be fine.

I ordered these a while ago: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/in-stock-25pcslot-3m-9501v-n95-anti-dust-particulate-respirator-masks-pm25-safety-face-masks-anti-fog-masks-anti-influenza-breathing-valve-adult-safety-particulate-respirator-filter-mask-i283727334-s528378237.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.383f7e97jsFr9v&search=1

You might read that there are many fakes from China, and i was also a bit concerned at first. But as far as i can judge the mask, packaging and so on (comparing them to a mask bought in the official 3M shop): These masks are genuine 3M.

Just a heads up, last year the 3M shop in C.M. was out of stock of N95 masks for more than 30 days. Many sellers on Lazada were selling fakes or buying stock from Europe and other countries and marking up 100% profit.

Buy early!!!

Also my pharmacist friend showed me a 3M website where you could scan the barcode or enter a number and see if the 3M masks were genuine or fake. He showed me a stack of them that customers who had bought them at street markets and so forth brought in for him to check - they were mostly fake.

Edited by elektrified

I also go to the 3M shop in CNX.

Have around 100 masks here N95, two replacement filters for the air purifier.

That is only for now until Feb 6th, and for May. Other than that I am not here.

If I was here during the "official months" I would get a second air purifier as back-up if one fails.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

Also my pharmacist friend showed me a 3M website where you could scan the barcode or enter a number and see if the 3M masks were genuine or fake. He showed me a stack of them that customers who had bought them at street markets and so forth brought in for him to check - they were mostly fake.

That's true about needing to buy early here. The supply chain for such things is woefully insufficient when crunch time comes.

As for the authenticity of masks, from the prior discussions on that point here, the 3M website is only capable of checking certain 3M mask products, not any/all of them. So AFAIK, a person could have genuine 3M masks and not be able to confirm that on their site. So it's only a partial remedy to the counterfeit masks problem.