Applying for Non O-A Visa - Need some advice.

Hi.

This will be my first time applying for a  1 year Non O-A visa at the Thai Consulate of New York.

In the past I have been using the METV visa, but have been told by Thai IO to get a O-A visa for long stay in Thailand when I return.

I read the New York Thai Consulate website and understand most of their requirements.

Just a couple of questions to members who have received 1 year O-A visa.

From Website:

“Evidence of sufficient funds is required. An original bank statement  showing deposit amount equal

to and no less than 800,000 Thai  baht and an original letter of guarantee from the bank”

I get a printed monthly Bank statement showing my Checking/Savings accounts which is well over

800,000 TB.

(Q1) Will this be sufficient to bring to the NY Thai Consulate?

(Q2) The original letter of Guarantee, I can just request for this letter from my Banker?

From Website:

“Three copies of criminal record (1 original and 2 copies) in good  conduct issued by local police,

state police department, or Federal  Bureau of Investigation. The record issued by a private business 

providing background check service may be accepted if conducted  by an FBI-Approved Channeler.”

(Q3) Can a TVF member recommend a private business (agency) performing criminal background

checks that is FBI approved?

Thanks.

TC.

I agree. You should research getting a non-immigrant O visa. It is a 90 day visa that can then be extended yearly the same as an OA however a non-O does not have the insurance requirement. There are several ways to go about getting a non-O.

Effective from 31 October 2019 , the applicant must be medically insured for the entire period of stay in Thailand with the following coverage:

– Outpatient benefit with a sum insured of not less than 40,000 THB, and

– Inpatient benefit with a sum insured of not less than  400,000 THB

The applicants must submit the following:

8.1. Health insurance policy document issued by a Thai or foreign insurance company, stating that the applicant is medically insured for the period and with coverage as mentioned above:

(a) In case of a foreign insurance company, the applicant must submit the original insurance policy document with 2 copies;

(b) In case of a Thai insurance company, the applicant must submit 2 copies of the insurance policy document or, if available, the original insurance policy document with 2 copies. A list of Thai insurance companies participating in the scheme can be found here: http://longstay.tgia.org

8.2. Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand, which must be completed, signed and stamped by the insurance company. The form can be downloaded here: Foreign Insurance Certificate Form

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

Edited by fishtank

48 minutes ago, fishtank said:

You do realise that you have to purchase a very expensive insurance policy with a very low level of cover to get this visa.

Mush better to arrive in Thailand with a Tourist visa and convert to a 12 month extension.

Think you mean do "conversion" to non O at immigration and prior to expiry apply for 12 month permission of stay based on retirement. Not mean to be pedantic but clearly op does not know options.

In addition OP, you could simply enter visa exempt and do same thing. Forget about O-A. 

Hi.

Thanks all for the quick replies.

The past 3 years I've applied/received 3 METV visas from NYC Thai Consulate staying each time in Thailand a max of 7 ½ months.

My itinerary has always been: Depart from NY to Thailand in April. Return to the U.S. in November.

After doing a 5 day side trip to Cambodia in September(2019) Thai Immigration was not happy with me using a Tourist Visa (METV) for a long stay.

IO stopped me (returning from Cambodia to Suvarnabhumi), to inform me I should come back to Thailand next year with a 1 year O-A visa or Retirement visa for a long stay. Otherwise I will be stopped by them again. And possibly deported back to the U.S. upon airport arrival. This freaked me out!

Since I am back in New York now, I would prefer to get the 1 Year Non O-A visa in NYC rather than arriving at Suvarnabhumi with another Tourist Visa and possibly getting stopped and interviewed by immigration again. It was not a very pleasant experience talking to them last year for over 1 hour.

They let me pass with a warning to get the proper visa for long stay.

Regarding Medical Insurance. Before I left Thailand (November 2019) I purchased 1yr medical Insurance from Atena Health Insurance in Pattaya. The insurance will expire November 2020. I have the Insurance card and coverage documents with me. It meets the medical requirements/cost for a 1yr O-A visa.

My plan is get the 1 year O-A visa in New York, convert it to a retirement visa upon arrival in Thailand. I am over 50.

Under normal circumstances, you are right, just get a Tourist Visa and convert it to a O-A  after arriving in Thailand.

But since I was stopped and interviewed by Immigration last year, My history is documented in their computer. So I probably have a red flag next to my name to be questioned again if I do not have the proper visa for a long stay. I would prefer getting the O-A visa in New York rather than take a chance being pulled-over again with a Tourist Visa and my flight ticket showing 8 month departure.

So could someone please answer my 3 questions posted in my original post.

Thanks

TC.

Tomx2

It is nice that you have insurance. Note that when you arrive, you will only be given permission to stay until the end of your insurance policy. Not 1 year.

You cannot get an O-A visa inside Thailand. You can only get an O-A visa in your home country.

An O-A visa is a 1 year multiple entry visa. There is nothing to convert once you get here. At the end of the visa you can apply for a one year extension of stay which which is not a visa. 

@Martyp Thanks for the clarification. As I stated I've only received METV visas. I apologize for my ignorance regarding O-A visa. When I was in Thailand last year, people were telling me certain visa shops could prepare 1 year visa for a fee. I assume this was a O-A visa. Based on your reply, I will apply for a 1 year extension just prior to the end of my O-A visa.

During my interview with Thai immigration at Suvarnabhumi, they mention I needed medical insurance and a Thai bank Account. I got both before departing to the U.S.

@Surelynot. Thanks, I will print copy of my Bank Statement 1 day prior to visit. Does it have to be notarized?

TC.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tomx2 said:

@Martyp Thanks for the clarification. As I stated I've only received METV visas. I apologize for my ignorance regarding O-A visa. When I was in Thailand last year, people were telling me certain visa shops could prepare 1 year visa for a fee. I assume this was a O-A visa. Based on your reply, I will apply for a 1 year extension just prior to the end of my O-A visa.

During my interview with Thai immigration at Suvarnabhumi, they mention I needed medical insurance and a Thai bank Account. I got both before departing to the U.S.

@Surelynot. Thanks, I will print copy of my Bank Statement 1 day prior to visit. Does it have to be notarized?

TC.

When you apply for a 1 year extension you should talk to your insurance company to sync the policy dates with the extension dates.