Action needed now to save "filthy, dangerous, rip-off, vice ridden" Pattaya, says watchdog

webfact

25 minutes ago, newnative said:

Meanwhile, the city is finally doing some road improvements, Pattaya Beach has been widened and is being kept clean, and Jomtien is getting a hospital.  Yes, I would still not swim in the ocean but there are some positive things happening.  

The stoplights at the zebra's on beachroad don't work...the bahtbuses horn nonstop, taxi's don't use meters, it stinks, coconuts hanging above the sidewalk, the wider beach has been washed away, the new Bali Hai pier is crappy, annoying watchvendors who come into restaurants, annoying ladyboys who sexually harass pedestrians, dirty sea, bad air.....need i go on?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain 776 said:

If I am going to the ocean.........ANYWHERE in the world I want a crystal clear clean white sand beach............

I was at Tien Beach at Koh Larn this morning. Turquoise water, clear enough to see the ripples in the sandy bottom even when well out of my depth, and clean white sand. Shady tree to place my towel under. 60 baht return from Pattaya.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Action needed now to save "filthy, dangerous, rip-off, vice ridden" Pattaya, says watchdog

You can't change the mindset... but you can change the personal at city hall which is where most of the damage stems from.

Time for a change of leadership, and a huge shake-up from the top to the bottom.

But like most "brands" it takes decades to build up and a few seconds to lose it all.. Thailand not just Pattaya has lost it's brand name, exploiting everything until it's damaged beyond repair!

I hope all the owners invested wisely there's going to be some very lean times ahead for some!

7 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

No idea who is this "Pattaya Watchdog" but looks like someone who clearly doesn't like Pattaya and tries to make its image far worse than reality !

Most the points he states are just BS ! :sad:

Odd, I thought it was the most honest and accurate summary of exactly what Pattaya is and a breath of fresh air for such an honest press release from TAT.  At least first-timers cant complain they were expecting something else. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Thian said:

The stoplights at the zebra's on beachroad don't work...the bahtbuses horn nonstop, taxi's don't use meters, it stinks, coconuts hanging above the sidewalk, the wider beach has been washed away, the new Bali Hai pier is crappy, annoying watchvendors who come into restaurants, annoying ladyboys who sexually harass pedestrians, dirty sea, bad air.....need i go on?

Let's remember this is Thailand, we grade on a curve.  Most of your complaints could easily be said about Bangkok or other cities in Thailand--honking taxis, bad air, smell, annoying vendors, taxis not using meters, etc.   The stoplights at the zebras on Beach Road are working, by the way.  Cars stopping, not so much--again a problem not unique to Pattaya.  I look out at Pattaya Beach from my condo and it has not washed away.    

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, newnative said:

Well, some rebuilding is being done.  A huge swatch of 'old and decrepit' was torn down and Terminal 21 was built.  That, in turn, spurred even more redevelopment, including renovation at Tiffanys, the new Amari addition, Ozo Hotel, Brighton Hotel, Palazzo, and lots of remodeling and upgrades of smaller establishments in the area.  And, it is ongoing.  Nearby, several very large condo and hotel projects are getting started for upper 3rd Road, including one with Hilton's involvement.  The draw?  Well, one of the projects boast its only 700 meters to T21.  Naklua/Wong Amat is getting quite lively with new boutique hotels, the massive Centre Point 2 announced, and lots of families being drawn to that area of Pattaya.

Meanwhile, the city is finally doing some road improvements, Pattaya Beach has been widened and is being kept clean, and Jomtien is getting a hospital.  Yes, I would still not swim in the ocean but there are some positive things happening.  

Any of those new constructions have proper sewer?  Or are they still saving money by dumping raw sewage on the main draw for any beach town?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Any of those new constructions have proper sewer?  Or are they still saving money by dumping raw sewage on the main draw for any beach town?

Let's hope so.  As I said, I wouldn't swim in the ocean. Let's also hope much better sewage treatment is high on the city's 'to do list'. 

A post with multi quotes has been removed, please do not do this as it leads to confusion down the line.

5. Please do not quote multiple nested quotes. Quote only the relevant section that you are discussing. Moderators will snip excessively long nested quotes. 

• Like 2

This is what they said about New York City and San Francisco, right before they turned both into a Disneyland shopping mall. Fortunately, that won't work here. Pattaya is no NYC or London. You can clean up Bangkok but if you clean up Pattaya, people really will stop coming. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

You left. That’s an improvement. 

So many farangs expat  guys have left. How’s  that an Improvement for Pattaya? One way or the other eventually  u will leave also and that day will be a sad day for the LB community on beach road !

Edited by Destiny1990

7 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Isn´t that the reason to come to Pattaya?

If they get rid of the prostitutes, how are these poor girls supposed to support their families? All of these girls come from Issan with little or no education and no work for them. The economy, the country, the culture is what it is in Thailand. There is no social security system for the elderly so a family will have many children. The boys stay home to work what few jobs there are and the girls go to Pattaya and the like to work in the sex industry. It's a fact of life in Thailand and nothing will ever change because they don't want to live by any other cultural standards. They think they know better than the rest of the world so just wash your hands of it and take from it what works best for you until it's all gone and move on...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And I though filthy and vice-ridden is part of the attraction.

Imagine Pattaya without Soi 6.

Soi 6? Don't you mean soi boom boom? Most bar fronts in Pattaya have rooms upstairs for boom boom and all the bar girls are for sale. On one of my more recent trips to Pattaya I was sitting and chatting with a couple of bar girls and they were laughing about the officials claiming that there's no prostitution in Pattaya. It's a joke, all a big joke. No pun intended... 555

54 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Time for a change of leadership, and a huge shake-up from the top to the bottom.

"Leadership" in Pattaya has been under the same family for a long time now, nobody brave enough to stand against them!

• Like 1

Let's say everything Watchdog wants gets done. What have you got? Another city-sized shopping mall, but this one with sand. Big whoop. I say take what you've got and add gambling and duty free booze. Boom town!

Edited by Mac98
Spelling error

11 minutes ago, CGW said:

"Leadership" in Pattaya has been under the same family for a long time now, nobody brave enough to stand against them!

I understand where you're coming from.. but

T.A.T and the economy can suffer indefinitely.... everyone falls eventually when the cards are stacked against them high enough.

Edited by hotchilli

19 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

Soi 6? Don't you mean soi boom boom? Most bar fronts in Pattaya have rooms upstairs for boom boom and all the bar girls are for sale. On one of my more recent trips to Pattaya I was sitting and chatting with a couple of bar girls and they were laughing about the officials claiming that there's no prostitution in Pattaya. It's a joke, all a big joke. No pun intended... 555

Really?

I never understood what the girls wanted to tell me when they talked about going upstairs. Now you opened my eyes. I am shocked!

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

If they get rid of the prostitutes, how are these poor girls supposed to support their families? All of these girls come from Issan with little or no education and no work for them. The economy, the country, the culture is what it is in Thailand. There is no social security system for the elderly so a family will have many children. The boys stay home to work what few jobs there are and the girls go to Pattaya and the like to work in the sex industry. It's a fact of life in Thailand and nothing will ever change because they don't want to live by any other cultural standards. They think they know better than the rest of the world so just wash your hands of it and take from it what works best for you until it's all gone and move on...

Do you think the social security system is different in other developing countries? Why prostitution is in Thailand so much more famous than by example in Vietnam?

13 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Why prostitution is in Thailand so much more famous than by example in Vietnam?

They'll catch up. Mongers didn't go to Vietnam after the war, until now. 

Edited by DrTuner

49 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

T.A.T and the economy can suffer indefinitely.... everyone falls eventually when the cards are stacked against them high enough.

I agree but the chappie in power now had the blessings of the military "government not that long ago.

1 hour ago, BobinBKK said:

I agree about the rip-offs and footpaths. The police should set up checkpoints and stop all taxis to make sure the meter is running and question the tourist about the legitimacy of the drivers story. If the meter is not running arrest the driver and tow the taxi to the impound lot. As far as the footpaths are concerned it's safer to walk in the street with traffic!!!

Oh yeah!

Please stop my taxi when I'm on the way back to my hotel with 1800baht worth of sweetheart wrapped round me so I can fill in a policeman's questionnaire, and then be left on the pavement half cut to start the whole thing again.

Seriously, have you got half a brain?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, neeray said:

There's certainly no mincing of words in this statement !

That watchdog must be a pit bull ????.

Yeah, and Starbucks must be real important to tourists. I didn't know people came for the coffee. 

Plus complaining about baht-buses which is the best mode of transportation in Thailand. I just wish there were more routes. 

• Like 2

I remember the thriving Pattaya of old - a money-spinning magnet to millions of international sex tourists and sexpats.

Then some genius came up with the idea of transforming Sin City into a family resort - and the place has been tanking ever since.

Obviously never heard the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

• Like 1

11 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I have never been there, but I thought it was a World class family resort,

well according to TAT.

regards Worgeordie

You don't know what you're not missing then. Go on give it a try before you die - that could almost be their new slogan. It does have the cleanest restaurants in Thailand for real though.