What's your comfort food?

Lacessit

While my Thai GF is quite a good cook, I occasionally like DIY. The opportunity arose when I had a tooth extracted recently, and soft food was indicated for a few days.

Not visually appealing, so I won’t show it. However, putting cooked potato, carrot, broccoli and smoked salmon in a blender results in something quite tasty.

I tend to define snacks as comfort food. This is my recipe, which results in a cross between huevos rancheros and an egg souffle.

Two eggs, cooking oil, sweet chili sauce and a poacher cup. The Bakoma Sonata Gold dessert cups are ideal.

Pour a small amount of oil into the cup. If you use canola oil, the purists need to know 99% of the stuff on the market is genetically modified. Use it to line the walls, then pour off any excess.

Whisk the eggs and chili sauce with a fork in the cup until homogeneous. Place in a pan with an inch of water, cover with a lid, and bring to the boil. Then simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove from the pan, and upend on a plate. Cut up, and add black pepper as needed.

Once my wound is healed, I’ll go back to my other comfort snack – dark chocolate and ginger. Takes some chewing.

Bon appetit.

IMG20200117092106.jpg

IMG20200117092421.jpg

IMG20200117094601.jpg

IMG20200117094733.jpg

IMG20200117102733.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Campbell's Clam Chowder (but not that Manhattan style <deleted>) I always have a few cans in the cupboard.

They reckon BC Ferries used to do the best Clam Chowder when the cooks were part of the company but now White Spot has the contract and its <deleted>. Weused to joke that all the barnacles that were scraped off during refits went into the pot. It was something to look forward to, which is why CC is still my favorite comfort food. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Funny that. My dream is to die at 76, boombooming a Nana plaza nymphet, just after a massive T-Bone and a bottle of Shiraz.

Ha! Thats just not major league. First of all, the massive T-Bone, rare of course, dripping with garlic butter should be hanging out your mouth as you clutch your chest and collapse on top of the squirming nymphet. The Shiraz....meh, give me a carton of EggNog.

31 minutes ago, Denim said:

Cumberland sausage sandwich with doorstep wholemeal bread and daddys sauce. Hmmmm.....need to fly to the UK sooner than I thought.

Ouch..... i fly 29 March      Real food real beer  cant wait!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I like peanut and chocolate oatmeal cookies (I put pomegranate and blueberry granola in these).

Lucky me, that they cost almost nothing to make, almost gone now.

Very crunchy, so no good for your teeth Lacy.

IMG_20191230_125056 (1).jpg

You could probably soften them up by adding in coconut. One of the principal ingredients of an Anzac biscuit.

43 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Campbell's Clam Chowder (but not that Manhattan style <deleted>) I always have a few cans in the cupboard.

They reckon BC Ferries used to do the best Clam Chowder when the cooks were part of the company but now White Spot has the contract and its <deleted>. Weused to joke that all the barnacles that were scraped off during refits went into the pot. It was something to look forward to, which is why CC is still my favorite comfort food. 

Ah, fond memories of fish gumbo in New Orleans.

1 hour ago, Momofarang said:

Funny that. My dream is to die at 76, boombooming a Nana plaza nymphet, just after a massive T-Bone and a bottle of Shiraz.

You will note that the OP and other contributors to this well thought and useful thread have posted pictorial representations of what their comfort food is.

Please don't disappoint us. Please?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Momofarang said:

I think the total cost of my egg souffle is about 6 baht, including electricity. The chocolate and ginger combo is more expensive, 140 baht.

My heirs would have no legacy from me with your comfort proposal.

• Haha 1

Wow, "comfort foods".  This thread got me thinking/reminiscing/day dreaming.  The grey matter went through a full throttle self interrogation.  I love food, appreciate it, internally debate the experience: the great, the good, the bad the ugly.  I might not order it (again), but I'll eat it.

Interesting how resources drastically alter your immediate "comforts".  What's in the fridge, what's available at a local market/grocery store, what restaurants are conveniently accessible.  Back "home", comfort food was a mile high smoked meat with a half sour kosher dill, and a pile of fries (chips), or a massive medium rare rib steak, baked potato smothered in sour creme and chives with a huge Caesar salad.  Simple hamburgers and sausages on the barbecue...safe enough to eat medium rare?   A homemade caesar salad dressing made with a raw egg, fresh garlic, olive oil, an anchovie, etc...and safe to eat.  Wine...(it's a food group yes?)

Now, arriving home (LOS) from a project surrounded by beach, for hundreds of miles in all (well, 3.5/4) directions....my kingdom for simple slice of crispy bacon and a fresh salad that includes some form of lettuce.  Yeah, apparently my comfort foods have temporarily changed.

...and I'm extremely thankful for the choices available locally today.  Thankful that someone long ago, tripped over a bucket of rotting fish, and grandpa Somchai's sharp smelling toes, went up the chimney with him.

Happy Friday!