Ubon - News

jay-uk

Just read the following today:

TAT promotes Thai people to be good host to tourists

The Deputy Governor of Ubon Ratchathani, Mr. Pramote Satcharak (ปราโมทย์ สัจจรักษ์), presided over the ceremony of presenting special pins to the people who have been a good host to tourists. The ceremony took place at Lai Thong Hotel in Muang district of Ubon Ratchathani province.

Mr. Suppakit Balachandra (สุภกิตติ์ พลจันทร), the Director of the Northeastern Marketing Division of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), says the project will promote the people of Ubon Ratchathani to be a good host to tourists. He says the TAT also hopes this project will stimulate Thai people to visit various destinations in their countries. He says the project will help people to be prepared for the potential tourism growth in the Northeast.

People who are involved in this project include personnel from the private and public sectors.

http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=211089

Just read the following today:

TAT promotes Thai people to be good host to tourists

The Deputy Governor of Ubon Ratchathani, Mr. Pramote Satcharak (ปราโมทย์ สัจจรักษ์), presided over the ceremony of presenting special pins to the people who have been a good host to tourists. The ceremony took place at Lai Thong Hotel in Muang district of Ubon Ratchathani province.

Mr. Suppakit Balachandra (สุภกิตติ์ พลจันทร), the Director of the Northeastern Marketing Division of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), says the project will promote the people of Ubon Ratchathani to be a good host to tourists. He says the TAT also hopes this project will stimulate Thai people to visit various destinations in their countries. He says the project will help people to be prepared for the potential tourism growth in the Northeast.

People who are involved in this project include personnel from the private and public sectors.

http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=211089

Well what i can say for this,,,,

few weeks ago i did promote bfast and lunch in Laithong hotel to be good,,, was again there for bfast day before yesterday and IT"S SUCKS, ALL western variety was taken away,,exept coffee, they use to be good but now i have no idea what has happend to them,, maybe as per Govenor, thay promote Ubon for thai tourist,, and food ofcourse it's good lure for thais,,,,

Lunch, have not yet tested since abt month, maybe that is gone also,,,,

well rice is good and i think we can have that enough in here.. :o

Do you think maybe it is a case that standards start to slip when the level of foreigners occupying the hotels drops? I have noticed this before at a few places in Ubon including pizzahut to name one other place to eat. Eating at places in Ubon can be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes you go and have a good meal and other times not. Could be thru' change of chef or other management staff that leads to the food not being so good. The Thais can't tell the difference so the restaurants keep churning the food out to the same low standard because it rarely gets noticed and they can charge same high price.

Do you think maybe it is a case that standards start to slip when the level of foreigners occupying the hotels drops? I have noticed this before at a few places in Ubon including pizzahut to name one other place to eat. Eating at places in Ubon can be a bit hit and miss. Sometimes you go and have a good meal and other times not. Could be thru' change of chef or other management staff that leads to the food not being so good. The Thais can't tell the difference so the restaurants keep churning the food out to the same low standard because it rarely gets noticed and they can charge same high price.
We started to notice a change of service in Ubon in the early 90,s and it has been on a downward spiral ever since, it seems as the number of tourists grows, so the standard of service and attitude towards them drops, now for us its just a town to pass through on our way to the village :o Nignoy

We started to notice a change of service in Ubon in the early 90,s and it has been on a downward spiral ever since, it seems as the number of tourists grows, so the standard of service and attitude towards them drops, now for us its just a town to pass through on our way to the village :o Nignoy

Nignoy

That is somewhat correct and same time bit sad, it's use to be nice here and friendly ppl in Ubon, but as a finnish it's have similarities from back forest in Finland, who did not like foreigners and look them as aliens,,,that was b4.

Ubon unfortunetly do not have not so much to offer for foreigner tourist except candle festival, some ppl do come here to relax and visit national parks but those are small groups.

Heard some weird rumors last year that Sofitel hotel was intrested to come in Ubon, BUT local hotels join the forces together and block the land purches, similar what is happen in the early days b4 we did not have Lotus or Big-C, people did not want them here as they where threat, NOW,,they are packed every day and if they would be taken away,, i think Ubon would turn to be Dead rice field desert.

Specially LAITHONG hotel,service has gone down like 100% what is was few yrs back, turn around from restaurant staff is 99%, only 2 guys are left from the team who where there 6mths ago,, all female staff carrying TRAINER tag....

But as BERGEN stated,, MAYBE Nevada will rice up now after they face lift, i have to say havent spend time there but i know the Rooms are huge there and with in desent price like 1000 something, compare Laithong of 1600+ and Nevada is right in the Chayakoon Rd and waking distance from anything one might need for a night out.

We were in Ubon last week after a short ( but a bit to long ) stay in a place called Warin, south of Ubon proper.

The TAT people were so helpful and gave us maps and info on everything. It has to be the best TAT office in Thailand and all for free!

I had quite a lot of trouble finding farang food. I was desperate for something that even looked like real food or even Thai food for that matter,

Big C had only KFC and The Wrong Way Cafe behind which we stayed, didnt open until 2pm.

Ubon is quite beatifull and the Mun river is a nice place to hang out.

Could have spent more time there for sure but we were running out of time.

We were in Ubon last week after a short ( but a bit to long ) stay in a place called Warin, south of Ubon proper.

The TAT people were so helpful and gave us maps and info on everything. It has to be the best TAT office in Thailand and all for free!

I had quite a lot of trouble finding farang food. I was desperate for something that even looked like real food or even Thai food for that matter,

Big C had only KFC and The Wrong Way Cafe behind which we stayed, didnt open until 2pm.

Vegemite

TAT Service is always free or should be free, I have to say never use them but as per ppl who has they say the same it's nice office and gals there are friendly.

Regarding the farang food, there is not so much to offer specially during morning's,, excpt Laithong(limited now days) and Nevada hotel might have some, i know that both of them offering buffee style BFast's.

KFC opens at 10am as you mentioned, Lotus, Big-C & Robinsson has KFC, NO McDonnalds in Ubon or any other fast food chain,, nicely blocked by KFC guy here....

You stayed in Warin? But Wrong way is not in waring,, it's just off from "So called" Ubon center, that TAT office i think what you mentioned was by the fire department and if so that is so called"China town", but still in Ubon side,, ones you cross the bridge you enter to Warin side.

Dear All

On my last trip we had the same experience of food in Ubon. I found it difficult to find farang food to keep my stumach happy and my 3yo son had to eat mostly packet food we bought from UK with us to cook at the house. The only way I could really keep my self from food starvation was eating KFC most the time, MK which I happen to love the suki style soup which is fresh and finally korean beef which Marco kindly introduced me. I recommend this to anyone who has not tried it yet. When I was really hungry and desperate for a good steak and chips the lai thong, nevada, and toh sang all seem to let me down as there was not one of them last year which could cook a piece of meat without under cooking it bloody or over cooking it to a crisp oblivion. The Nevada steak and lai thong both tasted like leather from the bottom of a shoe. However, some years ago there seemed more choice for a while when lai thong did have a great buffet and offered japanese on a night time with a competant chef who new what he was doing in the kitchen. There was also a vietnamese restaurant which I went to 4/5 years ago which at the time just opened and was fantastic. On my return to it last year the place had decended into a dirty hole dishing up lousy food that would have made a pig sick. TAT should advice the restaurants that if you can't keep a farangs stoumach happy there is little chance of return business. Its strange 'cause Ubon has the potential to be a very nice alternative to the main stream resorts but we will have to wait some years yet before a real shake up of the food standards happens, if it ever happens.

Jay

Dear All

On my last trip we had the same experience of food in Ubon. I found it difficult to find farang food to keep my stumach happy and my 3yo son had to eat mostly packet food we bought from UK with us to cook at the house. The only way I could really keep my self from food starvation was eating KFC most the time, MK which I happen to love the suki style soup which is fresh and finally korean beef which Marco kindly introduced me. I recommend this to anyone who has not tried it yet. When I was really hungry and desperate for a good steak and chips the lai thong, nevada, and toh sang all seem to let me down as there was not one of them last year which could cook a piece of meat without under cooking it bloody or over cooking it to a crisp oblivion. The Nevada steak and lai thong both tasted like leather from the bottom of a shoe. However, some years ago there seemed more choice for a while when lai thong did have a great buffet and offered japanese on a night time with a competant chef who new what he was doing in the kitchen. There was also a vietnamese restaurant which I went to 4/5 years ago which at the time just opened and was fantastic. On my return to it last year the place had decended into a dirty hole dishing up lousy food that would have made a pig sick. TAT should advice the restaurants that if you can't keep a farangs stoumach happy there is little chance of return business. Its strange 'cause Ubon has the potential to be a very nice alternative to the main stream resorts but we will have to wait some years yet before a real shake up of the food standards happens, if it ever happens.

Jay

As most forum readers are probably getting bored with hearing, I have been in and out of the Ubon area since early 1963, so I have seen a few changes over the years, the friends we made then are still our friends now, my english wife used to love staying in Ubon , the shopping was great ,and she felt safe on her own, and would often drive the 90kms from the village to ubon on her own, after having a few hairraising encounters with our friends in brown she lost her confidance , now we dont even bother flying in to Ubon , so the lack of farang facilities in town does not bother us, if we wanted english or continental quisine, we can get that when we are in Oz lol, for the 16 weeks we try to spend a year in the village, thai food does us fine, :o Nignoy

Vegemite

TAT Service is always free or should be free, I have to say never use them but as per ppl who has they say the same it's nice office and gals there are friendly.

Regarding the farang food, there is not so much to offer specially during morning's,, excpt Laithong(limited now days) and Nevada hotel might have some, i know that both of them offering buffee style BFast's.

KFC opens at 10am as you mentioned, Lotus, Big-C & Robinsson has KFC, NO McDonnalds in Ubon or any other fast food chain,, nicely blocked by KFC guy here....

You stayed in Warin? But Wrong way is not in waring,, it's just off from "So called" Ubon center, that TAT office i think what you mentioned was by the fire department and if so that is so called"China town", but still in Ubon side,, ones you cross the bridge you enter to Warin side.

Hello Marco,

we stayed at Warin for several days at a brand new block of serviced apartments called something like Orathai Mansion. It was half way between Warin and the next place to the south. The apartments were great with air con, shower, TV, security and everything that you could ask for. Except; food ( only Issan )- tuk tuks or taxis there were non, we were a full kilometer from the nearest main road selling " Issan food " and the walk was long in 40deg.

I found the Wrong Way Cafe had very good food when we moved from Warin to Ubon and met some nice people there. The rooms behind were O.K. but the cockroaches in the bathroom were quite breathtaking. No smoking but the cockroaches are free to come and go.

I liked Ubon and my visit was far to short this time.

Will try to put pic of Orathai Mansion, Warin.

post-18138-1175749619_thumb.jpg

Dear All

Jay

Hello Jay,

I think that you are right when you say that Ubon has the potential.

It is just so refreshing to see so much water in upcountry Thailand. The Mun river is fantastic and the island in the middle of it is a great place to kick back and have a few beers and a " snack" I liked it a lot bearing in mind that we had just come from the middle of nowhere further north and a bit west.

Maybe any place without chickens and buffalo sh*t would have looked like paradise.

But in all honesty, Ubon is close to the mighty Mae Khong and Kong Jiam on the banks of the river is well worth a look or a stay. It really is beautifull and only a couple of hours from Ubon. Chong Mek is just down the road from Kong Jiam and from there you can easily walk into Laos. We did, good beer over there to.

Sorry if spelling is not correct.

Will try to show pic of Mun river in Ubon.

post-18138-1175750721_thumb.jpg

[Hello Marco,

we stayed at Warin for several days at a brand new block of serviced apartments called something like Orathai Mansion. It was half way between Warin and the next place to the south. The apartments were great with air con, shower, TV, security and everything that you could ask for. Except; food ( only Issan )- tuk tuks or taxis there were non, we were a full kilometer from the nearest main road selling " Issan food " and the walk was long in 40deg.

I found the Wrong Way Cafe had very good food when we moved from Warin to Ubon and met some nice people there. The rooms behind were O.K. but the cockroaches in the bathroom were quite breathtaking. No smoking but the cockroaches are free to come and go.

Hi Vegie

look like fantastic place,, have to go an look on it one day,, there is also Brand NEW mansion in Ubon town and as far i hear price is in and about 350,, but let me go and look at it this afternoon and i try to take picture as well,, tha building is like mentioned, brand new and i think the no roaches yet.

i heard that food in SMILE restaurant and few other's in town i.e close to laithong is offering nice farang food, but i havent tested so my stomach cant give any comments.

[Hello Marco,

Hi Vegie

look like fantastic place,, have to go an look on it one day,, there is also Brand NEW mansion in Ubon town and as far i hear price is in and about 350,, but let me go and look at it this afternoon and i try to take picture as well,, tha building is like mentioned, brand new and i think the no roaches yet.

i heard that food in SMILE restaurant and few other's in town i.e close to laithong is offering nice farang food, but i havent tested so my stomach cant give any comments.

Thanks for that any info you can supply would be great. We go there for family reasons.

P.S. just between you and I and whoever, I use TAT because I havent found the average Thai to good at organizing things. 8.00AM allways seems to be 10.00AM.

One time this trip, we flew to Roi Et from BKK after having booked a room in Roi Et close to the White Elephant ( excellent food there by the way ), and when we arrived nobody new that we were coming. The lady on the other shift had forgotten to write it in the book. The wife went ballistic and we sat outside for hours waiting for THE lady to arrive.

We didnt have any pieces of paper to show anyone.

TAT always give you pieces of paper.

Nothing ever seems to happen in Thailand with out pieces of paper.

Close to where we stayed in Roi Et was a car wash and they had a lady filling in a form for every car that came in to have thier car washed and that was all she did all day.

Without pieces of paper Thailand would come to a shuddering halt.

Vegemite

try grandpa,s place just behind the airport has imported t bone steaks mash fries onion rings etc pasta,plus good thai food , and it is air conditioned

Vegemite

try grandpa,s place just behind the airport has imported t bone steaks mash fries onion rings etc pasta,plus good thai food , and it is air conditioned

That is absoutely CORRECT,, how come i forgot that one,, really good menu, bit hard to find but tuk tuk,s should find the way,,

somekind ot directions,, one's driving towards to airport, LAST turn to RIGHT and drive 100met, turn LEFT and IMMEDIATELY RIGHT, 200Met and it's on your RIGHT HAND Side,,,

went there and wanted to get french onion soup,, got the bowl what looked like that but taste was similar and really good.

Vegemite

Hello Marco,

Hello Vegemite, Marco, and Bergen if you made it home okay after all that beer and pool playing last night. Vegemite, thanks for the complement, and sorry about the cockroaches in the rooms. We don't manage the place, but we give them enough business that they should listen to our complaints, and complain I will. I can understand the comments about some places going downhill with food and service. Staff leave, get sick, suppliers go downhill too. It's when they stop caring that there's a real problem. We've just managed to find a really good supplier so from April 8, which will be the first day of our second year, we'll be able to offer a wider variety of food (got tex-mex and pies coming) and better steaks. The quality of the once very good Thai supplier of steaks has gone down considerably and I've heard that a lot of their customers are feeling the same way. We can't really be blamed but we have to do something about it in a timely manner. Places with management changes suffer worse than smaller places like us, I think. A once famous place nearby us has supposedly really gone down hill. My wife goes to a beauty salon across the road from them and the ladies working there say they can hear the new management screaming and shouting at the staff, as if that will make a steak any better. They probably go through more staff in a week than they have customers in a day. They will probably redecorate the place, which doesn't improve the food or service either. This new supplier of ours is run by a very good-natured Aussie in Isaan and they sell retail, too, so anyone who wants more information about them can PM me.

By the way, this Saturday, April 7, is our first anniversary. Free food from 6pm. Tiger beer on tap with a few pretty Tiger girls serving. Oh, and KARAOKE! Not my idea but it's only for one night. Spread the word. . . And moderators, I hope you will accept this as an announcement, not an advertisement.

Vegemite' post='1236620' date='2007-04-05 12:07:42']

Thanks for that any info you can supply would be great. We go there for family reasons.

Vegie

Here is all what i got today regarding that mansion Name is NARTSIRI MANSION

Several different rooms starting from 450thb per night, big,small and bigger, NO fan rooms available

monthly 10.000THB, full Security, nice clean parking place under the mansion,,

Restaurant is still under the construction as it has been open only short time.

Edited by MarcoH

Marco

Great looking place. Nice clean and tidy. Good people are trying to invest more locally to attract business. Would be interesting to see if they serve good quality food in their restaurant when completed.

Jay

Vegemite

Hello Marco,

Hello Vegemite, Marco, and Bergen if you made it home okay after all that beer and pool playing last night. Vegemite, thanks for the complement, and sorry about the cockroaches in the rooms. We don't manage the place, but we give them enough business that they should listen to our complaints, and complain I will. I can understand the comments about some places going downhill with food and service. Staff leave, get sick, suppliers go downhill too. It's when they stop caring that there's a real problem. We've just managed to find a really good supplier so from April 8, which will be the first day of our second year, we'll be able to offer a wider variety of food (got tex-mex and pies coming) and better steaks. The quality of the once very good Thai supplier of steaks has gone down considerably and I've heard that a lot of their customers are feeling the same way. We can't really be blamed but we have to do something about it in a timely manner. Places with management changes suffer worse than smaller places like us, I think. A once famous place nearby us has supposedly really gone down hill. My wife goes to a beauty salon across the road from them and the ladies working there say they can hear the new management screaming and shouting at the staff, as if that will make a steak any better. They probably go through more staff in a week than they have customers in a day. They will probably redecorate the place, which doesn't improve the food or service either. This new supplier of ours is run by a very good-natured Aussie in Isaan and they sell retail, too, so anyone who wants more information about them can PM me.

By the way, this Saturday, April 7, is our first anniversary. Free food from 6pm. Tiger beer on tap with a few pretty Tiger girls serving. Oh, and KARAOKE! Not my idea but it's only for one night. Spread the word. . . And moderators, I hope you will accept this as an announcement, not an advertisement.

Hello Richard?

The food at Wrong Way was the best I had had since White Elephant in Roi Et.

Really good steak and veg and a friendly place.

Why do you open so late in the day?

I dont mean that I want a beer in the morning but what about some kind of late breakfast or something. I was seeing double with hunger by the time you opened.

Is there an opening for a falang breakfast/lunch joint in Ubon or what?

P.S. do you have trouble getting under those short Thai toilet doorways?

All the best.

Vegemite

Hello Marco,

Hello Richard?

I dont mean that I want a beer in the morning but what about some kind of late breakfast or something. I was seeing double with hunger by the time you opened.

All the best.

Hello Vegemite,

For the entire year we've been playing with different opening and closing times. For quite a while we were doing 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., but we were just sending our customers (and ourselves) up to Swing Party House, often 10 or 15 of us at a time, around 11:00 p.m. (they've got nice live music, not too loud, and close at 1:00 a.m.). Then one night my wife knocked over her cocktail glass, breaking it. Unfortunately for their management and owners, one of their staff told my wife they would have to put the glass on her bill. The management realized too late, so that glass has cost them dearly. We still go there sometimes and our customers of course are free to do as they please, but we've found we do pretty good business during those last couple of hours. Now, if we could get more competent girls, I would love to sort them out into two shifts so we could open by at least 10:00 a.m. As for bumping my head, I'm 191cm and lived in Japan for 14 years, where doorways are about 180cm high, so I'm used to it. I've got to get up to the White Elephant sometime. I've heard a lot of good things about it. Got to get to the pizza place there too as I still owe him 1000 baht from 14 months ago! Well, got to get back to making my curries for tomorrow's party. This time it's an "Indian Theme." Might even try naan in my woodburning oven.

Cheers!

Richard,

Good luck for the anniversay party at Wrongway. I was there on the opening day of your fine establishment and have visited there many times and enjoyed the food, drink and company. If this party can be anywhere as good as the Aussie Rules grand final party it should be a great day and night. And I read before that you ahve the Heinekan/Tiger girls there again. Bummer that I am back in dreary Oz at the moment freezing my arse off.

Good luck mate and see you towards the end of the year

Sezzo

Richard,

Good luck for the anniversay party at Wrongway. I was there on the opening day of your fine establishment and have visited there many times and enjoyed the food, drink and company. If this party can be anywhere as good as the Aussie Rules grand final party it should be a great day and night. And I read before that you ahve the Heinekan/Tiger girls there again. Bummer that I am back in dreary Oz at the moment freezing my arse off.

Good luck mate and see you towards the end of the year

Sezzo

Thanks jay-uk, sezzo,

Just recovered from the get-together and found myself suddenly faced with translation work. It was a great group of people in. Many insist I mixed up the labels "mild," "hot," and "very hot" on the curries. Oh well, I didn't notice any spontaneous combustions and as far as I know nobody got sick. Some more professional guys took a lot of photos so when I track them down and steal their cameras I'll post some pics.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Richard?

All the best.

Vegemite, farang breakfast is available a short walk from WrongWay at Tony's Bakery. My wife and I often go there after a night at WrongWay and overnighting in the rooms behind. Turn left out of WrongWay, go the the end of the road, turn left, a couple of hundred metres on the left.

Richard, I am looking forward to the anniversary. Congrats on a splendid year !

Cheers,

Mike

• 1 year later...

Hi Jay,

Well I found it.

Got all excited when i saw it as it is fitted out really nice and then was told that they stopped doing breakfasts 2 weeks ago :o

We went and had some thai food 50 m away then thought we would go back and have a coffee. Went in, sat down and the told us the only person who can make coffee was at the market and would be back in a minute. After 15 minutes we gave up and left.

For sale huh? Interesting, is the owner a westerner or local?