Retirement extension - Fixed Term Deposit

JohnMidnight

Hi,

OK, arrived at Chiang Mai immigration for my retirement extension today.  TM7 neatly typed, every page of my passport  photo-copied in colour, scans of TM6 and last 90 day notice, letter from my bank with today's date  (Bangkok Bank)  stating that I had Baht 810,200 in an account with them  and finally had a print-out of this fixed Account Passbook showing that on the 02/11/2018 I had 800,000 on deposit, entry on 02/11/2019  showed the interest  added and the tax deducted leaving a balance of 810,200 and final entry for today showing same amount. 

Did not get past the "numbers" desk.  Was informed I needed a "statement" from my bank.  Pointed  out the print-out of the entries in the passbook combined with the letter should be sufficient proof,  but all arguments no avail.

Returned to the bank branch and did not have much luck there either.  Asked for a statement on the account.  I was charged 100 Baht,  but the statement  they presented only showed the account details from 02/11/2018 to 02/11/2019.  Pointed out this was unacceptable and needed an up to date statement. For this 12 month statement I was charged 200 baht and only then advised that this would take a week but as tomorrow was Saturday it more than likely would be Monday week before they received the statement from HQ. 

My renewal date is Friday so this would be no use whatsoever. 

Any advice greatly appreciated. 

I think what you were told was in error. Statements are required for people using the 65K a month method but for the lump sum 800K in the bank all that is supposed to be necessary is an updated bank book plus standard letter from the bank. Only in case there are entries in the bank book that are accumulated (not applicable to a Fixed deposit) then you might need a statement for that time period since under the new rules they need to be able to confirm that the 800K was untouched for 3 months after your last extension, balance remained not less than 400K thereafter and then back to 800K 2 months before extension.

With a fixed deposit all you should need is an updated bank book. With Fixed Deposits that can be a problem but apparently there is a way to create an updated entry despite no activity by doing a "zero credit transaction: AKA :Balance Forward" transaction.

If you already had this (i.e. a bank book entry dated the day you went to immigration or nto more than the day prior) and they are still demanding a statement, makes no sense but if so best advice is to call BBL headquarter office and discuss with them the need to expedite the statement process. 

But if not, I would try first to get the bank book updated and then a letter from the bank stating current balance and that the balance has been maintained at that level since (date).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man...the demands at immigration just keeps getting more difficult...

I would go back to immigration...explain the impossibility of fulfilling their bank statement needs on time...ask for a waiver or temp extension until the "unnecessary" bank doc is produced.

Good Luck!

If they make threats of expelling you from the country...find a visa Savey lawyer immediately.

Don't be surprised if they offer an exchange...more baht...less hassle...

• Thanks 1

We were also asked for a "statement" when applying to extend our retirement/dependent permit to stay a few weeks back, using the 800k method.  We had a letter from the bank dated that day and a complete/correct pakage of hard copy backup..  The obervation that a statement would show nothing more than the pass book itself cut no ice with the immigration officer.  He actually "explained" it was because there was no transaction entry in the calendar month of November.  And so we were sent there and then to buy such a statement from the bank for 200 baht and waste what remained of the rest of the day while being repocessed.  Wonderful ......................

15 minutes ago, tomdfc said:

We were also asked for a "statement" when applying to extend our retirement/dependent permit to stay a few weeks back, using the 800k method.  We had a letter from the bank dated that day and a complete/correct pakage of hard copy backup..  The obervation that a statement would show nothing more than the pass book itself cut no ice with the immigration officer.  He actually "explained" it was because there was no transaction entry in the calendar month of November.  And so we were sent there and then to buy such a statement from the bank for 200 baht and waste what remained of the rest of the day while being repocessed.  Wonderful ......................

Was this for a Fix Deposit account?

Hi,

Have now got this Fixed account on the internet.   So can now request/print off account details for the past six months 

BUT it does not show any additional information  that was not covered by the print out of the passbook.

Have sent a message to Bangkok Bank seeking guidance/help.  Awaiting their reply

screen2.png

Last week my visa agent in Chiang Mai told me I would need a statement for the last 12 months even though I use the 800k method.  They explained CM Immigration now requires the statement to ensure that people have kept their balances above the 800k/400k minimums during the previous year. Fixed rate account. 

Edited by Kelsall

3 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

Was this for a Fix Deposit account?

No, apologies if I have confused you (and if the rules for a fixed deposit a/c are different).  We have had a bog standard savings a/c for 10 years which is all but dormant but has always had the requisite funds in place.  We also have a separate "working" savings a/c with ATM card for day to day living.

Earlier this week I was asked for a statement, even though the account I was using was only opened last year, had a single 800+K deposit and had not received any interest yet.  In other words, absolutely nothing to report beyond what the bank book showed.  (I also had a bank letter dated the same day confirming the balance.)  I can only presume that the Immigration officials are utterly clueless about how bank accounts work.

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think what you were told was in error

I guess not.

I'm on 800,000 method. 

i was told that I have to get statement for my fixed deposit account for last 2 months. The updated bank book showed that the fund was there for more than 4 months, since Oct 2019, the account life is 6 months fixed, but it was not acceptable. 
I had to go back to bank and get a statement that showed that it was opened in Oct 2019 and the balance. perhaps next time they will ask for full year statement that will take longer to get, maybe. 
Office of Petchaburi. 
I guess they are trying to patch all holes. 

It is sounding like in order to verify that the new rules about keeping specific balances have been followed some offices (so far: CM and Petchaburi) are requiring statements. Can't see why since the bank book will show the balances throughout the year, but so it seems to be in these 2 locations at least. Maybe they feel it is easier for them to read than going through a bank book.

8 hours ago, tomdfc said:

Has all the marks of a new Bank-Immigration scam to increase tea money for both.  Shaking head here...

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think what you were told was in error. Statements are required for people using the 65K a month method but for the lump sum 800K in the bank all that is supposed to be necessary is an updated bank book plus standard letter from the bank.

The need bank verified statement for a fixed deposit at my Immigration office, which however is not CM, and I thinks that's also a generally demand, bank verification letter and 3-month statement, which might be two month now. Furthermore photocopies of all pages in the bank book.

I know rules can be slightly different at various immigration offices, but the bank letter and statement seems to be a general rule.

For the 65k baht a month you'll need a 12-month statement showing foreign transfer deposits.

????

A friend of mine has been using fixed deposit at CW for the last 15 yrs. every year. He gets a letter from the bank confirming the balance. 

May be IO in CM doesn't know the difference between savings and FD. 

Hope you can resolve the issue.

Every one knows nothing goes in a Bank book without a Passport! Could it be foreigners have learn to put their own balance, Impossible? Immigration does not trust anyone. It so easy on day immigration visit to go to bank and do an update in the machine, It might print a receipt too? Or get Bank Manager phone number and ring the Bank, Do you know anyone can go to Immigration and ask for details about you, Where you come from, how much you earn and where you live, They can make lies about you as happen with me with TOT Boss in Korat, Now he is working in mountains of Mae Hong Song as he upset his people my friends.

21 hours ago, tomdfc said:

Which Imm office?

12 hours ago, khunPer said:

The need bank verified statement for a fixed deposit at my Immigration office, which however is not CM, and I thinks that's also a generally demand, bank verification letter and 3-month statement, which might be two month now. Furthermore photocopies of all pages in the bank book.

I know rules can be slightly different at various immigration offices, but the bank letter and statement seems to be a general rule.

For the 65k baht a month you'll need a 12-month statement showing foreign transfer deposits.

????

Which Imm office do you use?

15 hours ago, Oxx said:

Earlier this week I was asked for a statement, even though the account I was using was only opened last year, had a single 800+K deposit and had not received any interest yet.  In other words, absolutely nothing to report beyond what the bank book showed.  (I also had a bank letter dated the same day confirming the balance.)  I can only presume that the Immigration officials are utterly clueless about how bank accounts work.

Which Imm Office?

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Which Imm Office?

It's unfortunate you've had to ask this question three times Sheryl as the "rules" should be the same at every IMM office. I can't imagine why the country can't get their "junk" together so that the rules are the same at all offices.

8 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

It's unfortunate you've had to ask this question three times Sheryl as the "rules" should be the same at every IMM office. I can't imagine why the country can't get their "junk" together so that the rules are the same at all offices.

We are in Thailand you know......thai,s cannot do simplicity or logic......:whistling:

I did my retirement extension on December 18.My 13th retirement extension in CM using the 800,000 b fixed deposit method.The balance  has never dropped below that figure.I just roll it over taking out the interest when due.

I only found out the night before on a facebook thread that a new rule was in place that required a statement as well as the copy & original of the passbook and the normal bank letter.

So after obtaining a queue number at 8.15am I went for my second trip to the Bangkok Bank at KSK and waited for them to open.

I have been dealing with Khun Sombat,who looks after most foreigners, for many years and when he arrived for work I told him of the new "rule" and he was bemused as I was as the statement, which the teller did for me in 5 mins for 100 baht, just duplicated the details the passbook.I left him with him shaking his head.

The reason explained to me by Imm staff was that was a new "boss" upstairs and this was what he required or extension would be refused.

I wasn't the only one that day that got caught out. 

I did report this on the main CM Immigration post at the top of the page, the same day, Dec 18, to give a heads up to others.

I would humbly suggest that there should be just one thread on CM Immigration matters it would save a lot of duplicate posts

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Unfortunately it's the Thai authorities that makes the rules, not us aliens, and they don't need to care about what we aliens think; we are guests only – check the date in your passport when you have to leave the Kingdom – so we aliens just follow whatever "junk" the authorities make of rules in a local immigration office.

Actually, it seem to be a general worldwide rule that it's up to the individual immigration officer's discretion to let a foreigner into a country, so a foreigner is in a way in the mercy of any immigration officer...:whistling: