Medical question about air travel inducing monster headache

justin case

Anyone else get terrible stiff neck / back and zombie headache when spending hours on an airplane ?

For me, it is the super chilled air(co), the jet-fuel smells, the bad crampy seat with hardly any leg space

I start to cramp up, even I take Tylenol, the pains just don't go away.

I don't like to fly at all, but no choice... Immigration made me a visa runner after divorce with hostile ex-wife.

• Like 1

I super hydrated the day before

I drank enough in the morning

Good I did not drink too much as there was a 1 hour queue at Suvi immigration

I bought more water in the only place that sells it at a almost normal price : BOOTS

I did put counterpain all over my neck at shoulders at the beginning of the pain ...they must have been happy on the plane

I took 2 Tylenol with food, to no avail

but I guess most people here are rich & just book a business class seat anyway

thanks for the replies ...  

Edited by justin case
  • Confused 2

Read up on sinus discomfort which is exacerbated on take off and landing due to difficulty in equalising air pressure. It is never a problem for me except for the time I was dozing on landing and I forgot to remove my noise isolating ear buds. This resulted in an intense headache which cleared within a few hours.

• Like 2

As several already have pointed out: most likely dehydration. Because of the low air pressure and the dry air from air con. 

Except for typical non alc drinks, you can try coffee (unless you want to sleep, of course), it has a nice counter effect to head aches. 

NEVER combine paracetamol with alcohol!! 

If you need pain-killer, consider first neck and head massage and/or something like tiger balm.

6 hours ago, Enki said:

NEVER combine paracetamol with alcohol!!

12 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I think you're getting mixed up with aspirin there...

It's not unusual for a long flight to Thailand will end with an enormous headache. It's called "immigration".

Enki is correct: paracetamol and alcohol use the same enzymes to metabolise so it's a strain on your liver.

Answers with option:  (consult your medical provider before following anyone's advice).  

1.  muscles relaxant may help, ie myonal, etc

2. Lyrica, for pain and sleep

3. Arcoxia, Non steroidal anti inflammatory

3.  Travel Business class.

4.  Buy seat with more leg room if cannot afford business class.

5. Avoid mixing alcohol with meds or consuming straight alcohol.

6. Celexa, for sleep and or nerve/muscle pain.

7. Travel with fleece blanket, hat, gloves, whatever it takes to be warm.  Ask flight attendant for extra blanket.

8. Consult Doctor before taking any suggested medications.

9. Ativan, controlled drug for rest.  See #8 above for this.

10.  Consult Thai visa Agent for advice and option if insisting to remain in Thailand.

11.  Choose another country.

12.  Consider other TVF suggestions...

13.  Good Luck.  

Edited by mike787

Could just be a change on your caffeine scheduling.  I get monster headaches if I don't feed the caffeine habit.  I started keeping NoDoz on hand for those times when I couldn't get a cup of Joe.  Like long flights in the cheap seats, along with crazy layovers.

Edit:  In Thailand, I bought caffeine tablets on Lazada.  Lots cheaper than going to Starbucks for my caffeine fix...

I'd note that a lot of OTC migraine medicines are based on caffeine, with aspirin, ibuprofen or paracetamol.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/allmax-nutrition-caffeine-200-mg-x-100-i222772909-s339983998.html

Edited by impulse

On 1/19/2020 at 6:03 AM, Speedo1968 said:

Perhaps stay off coffee and even tea before and during flight.

For anyone addicted to caffeine (and a lot of us are- whether we admit or or not), that's a guaranteed method of getting a withdrawal headache. 

For me, I need to make sure the hours of traveling and any time zone change don't throw off the intervals between doses.  Because that's what coffee is for me, a CDS (caffeine delivery system).  And when I look at the airport price of a cup of coffee, it's tempting to forgo the next dose.  For those times, I always carry caffeine tablets.

Edited by impulse

5 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

It's not unusual for a long flight to Thailand will end with an enormous headache. It's called "immigration".

Enki is correct: paracetamol and alcohol use the same enzymes to metabolise so it's a strain on your liver.

Not only that, if alcohol is presen, paracetamol is transmuted into a poison, which can cause server liver damage, brain damage and even death - depending on doses or circumstances.