Do I have to update my passport data in a bank?

10 hours ago, natway09 said:

You have 2 current passports from the same country ??????

I won't say I do not believe you but pray, tell more

For people that travel often. One passport can be getting visas while you use the other.

Some countries in the Middle east dont like other countries stamps. This is another reason. 

You should never carry both simultaneously.  

US Second passports only carry a validity of 2 years. UK ones ...dont know 

12 hours ago, sirocco said:

I needed another bank book, and I took the opportunity to give my old and new passport to the employee who updated my file.
And it seems to me that I signed a form.
But hey, we are made to sign so many papers !!!!!

With the digital passports with all your data on a chipp in my home country they take the old passport,you don't get it back so I'd suggest for some to make a copy of the relevant pages just in case.

2 hours ago, heybuz said:

With the digital passports with all your data on a chipp in my home country they take the old passport,you don't get it back so I'd suggest for some to make a copy of the relevant pages just in case.

I cannot believe anyone doesn't have copies of their passports anyway. I scan all important documents then I can print them out if I ever need them which is effectively the same as copying them. 

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, pellets said:

Have used SCB (at Jomtien) for almost 20 yrs, and never updated anything, and i am at my third passport now...
Never had any problems with new cards or anything else.
Never HEARD before of an updating for new passport...

Well perhaps I was being overcautious but when my old PP expired and I replaced it I just updated it on SCB's records. They seemed to think it was useful and at least that way if I lose my card and book, I can prove who i am with a passport that they will recognise..

• Like 1

Thanks Heybuz, post 34,
but I have a digital passport, my old passport was returned to me with all the pages cut on a corner and, for those not used, a "canceled" stamp.
As for photocopies of important documents, (here it is a passport), I have a folder and sub-folders "photocopy". Plus the scan on the computer.
It's just a story of organization and maybe of habit.

• Like 1

When I got my new passport I went to the Bangkok Bank branch where I opened the account and they updated their records- new passport number, expiration date, date issued, etc. Couldn’t update at any other branch than where I opened the account. I know I couldn’t apply for a credit card without up-dating the info, I also thought I might have  problems with immigrations, ie., proof of funds if everything at the bank was stilled linked to my old passport. 

19 hours ago, CGW said:
19 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You were just lucky, then.

Sorry ???? 

Seriously! lucky that SCB bank's protocol & procedures are sensible enough that you don't have to produce old passports?

No.  It's not that most places ask you to produce "old passports", it's that they ask you to show the passport that is registered to the account for security reasons.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VBF said:

Well perhaps I was being overcautious but when my old PP expired and I replaced it I just updated it on SCB's records. They seemed to think it was useful and at least that way if I lose my card and book, I can prove who i am with a passport that they will recognise..

I don't know the security level at SCB, but when banking with Bangkok Bank the passport is connected to my bank accounts. If I show up at my branch and without telling them I've got a new passport and they for some reason punch in the new passport number, what do you think will happen? If I change phone number or email address, then I have to update this at my branch. If I don't do it, I won't get any OTP's ( One Time Passwords) when buying something online or topping up my phone and I won't get an automatic verification message when my monthly rent is paid. Same with verification emails when transferring money or paying bills. So, when people are saying, "Why bother updating anything? I've never done it." 

That simply means they never use online banking. 

• Thanks 1

Another vote for yes, update your bank account with new passport details.  I got a new ATM card last month and hadn't thought about passport info, but the bank employee noticed it had changed so copied the new one and updated the system.  Between 4 and 6 extra signatures for this bit I think.  Bangkok Bank.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CGW said:

Never! as it has been superseded by the new PP.

What are you talking about? The info from the passport is punched in manually at the bank. How do you think the new passport number is connected to your account? Almost everything you subscribe to in Thailand is connected to the passport, your visa and even your sim-card. 

45 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

What are you talking about? The info from the passport is punched in manually at the bank. How do you think the new passport number is connected to your account? Almost everything you subscribe to in Thailand is connected to the passport, your visa and even your sim-card. 

Whatever! :sad:

You best inform the banks that old passports are still valid as ID!

Edited by CGW
  • Confused 1

Kasikorn Bank Staff: You have a new passport.

Me: Yes

Kasikorn Bank Staff: Do you have your old passport?

Me: No

Kasikorn Bank Staff: Okay

Just as well. Surprisingly enough, my name and date of birth didn't change. She updated their records.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CGW said:
9 hours ago, Just Weird said:

show the passport that is registered to the account for security reasons.

Never! as it has been superseded by the new PP.

The point of these exchanges is that the old passport details have not been superseded (updated).

If you're going to quote my comment please don't edit it so that it makes no sense, this is what my comment actually said,

"No.  It's not that most places ask you to produce "old passports", it's that they ask you to show the passport that is registered to the account for security reasons"

3 hours ago, CGW said:
4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Whatever! :sad:

You best inform the banks that old passports are still valid as ID!

You realise that comments here relate to the context of the OP? 

If you try to make a transaction at the bank that requires a passport and you present only the new one when the bank has only the details of the old passport the new one will not be accepted for ID as it is not the PP connected to the account.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

If you're going to quote my comment please don't edit it so that it makes no sense, this is what my comment actually said,

"No.  It's not that most places ask you to produce "old passports", it's that they ask you to show the passport that is registered to the account for security reasons"

Nonsense! who asks for old passports? though in all honesty I don't care - Bye

12 hours ago, CGW said:

Well, both Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank did ask me for my old passport when I just rocked up with a new one to request a new passbook or debit card, it's certainly not unheard of. So I think you are over the top when you say it's nonsense.

They never really insisted though, at least in my case. Bangkok Bank was a bit more difficult, I had to point them to Thai immigration's transfer stamp in my new passport which shows the number of my old passport (that they had on record). So the clerk made a copy of the page with that stamp as well, and that was it.

Edited by Caldera

6 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Well, both Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank did ask me for my old passport when I just rocked up with a new one to request a new passbook or debit card, it's certainly not unheard of.

I was told that the passport number is linked to the passbook. Bizarre I know - I just put it down to TiT. I've had to present my old passport as well as my new passport whenever I've had a passport renewal (Krungsri Bank)

11 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Well, both Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank did ask me for my old passport when I just rocked up with a new one to request a new passbook or debit card, it's certainly not unheard of. So I think you are over the top when you say it's nonsense.

Bangkok bank, Kasikorn Bank & SCB bank - the three biggest banks do NOT require old PP, I stick with what I stated, their P&P (Principles & procedures) obviously don't state this requirement, sure the assistants may ask, but its officialdom gone insane, question it.

In my situation I had gone through three Passports since opening the account, should I have rocked up with all the old Passports or just the valid one? doubtless I should also have changed my driving licences on issue of every PP also!

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

Bangkok bank, Kasikorn Bank & SCB bank - the three biggest banks do NOT require old PP, I stick with what I stated, their P&P (Principles & procedures) obviously don't state this requirement, sure the assistants may ask, but its officialdom gone insane, question it.

In my situation I had gone through three Passports since opening the account, should I have rocked up with all the old Passports or just the valid one? doubtless I should also have changed my driving licences on issue of every PP also!

Have you stopped taking your medication again?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, CGW said:
14 hours ago, Just Weird said:

That is not nonsense.

If a bank has not been notified of your passport renewal then they do not know that the registered passport ID that they have is old!  The bank wants to see the ID that you provided for the account.  If you show them your new passport that will not correspond with their records that show your old passport number, that's when they find out they have the old details.

56 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

If you show them your new passport that will not correspond with their records that show your old passport number, that's when they find out they have the old details.

The details therein will be identical, name, DOB etc, if you disagree so strongly you need to contact the main banks and tell them they have it wrong and need to update their procedures, tell us how you get along.

17 hours ago, Just Weird said:

You realise that comments here relate to the context of the OP? 

If you try to make a transaction at the bank that requires a passport and you present only the new one when the bank has only the details of the old passport the new one will not be accepted for ID as it is not the PP connected to the account.

That is a comment which I have found to be untrue on more than one occasion.  Given that my name photograph, nationality, birth date and place of birth have not changed, I have never had a problem at the bank. My most recent experience was a month or so ago. As soon as they saw I had a new passport with a new number, they updated their records.  End of the story. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, allane said:

That is a comment which I have found to be untrue on more than one occasion.  Given that my name photograph, nationality, birth date and place of birth have not changed, I have never had a problem at the bank. My most recent experience was a month or so ago. As soon as they saw I had a new passport with a new number, they updated their records.  End of the story. 

Everything depends on what bank you have and the reason you went to the bank. I promise you,if you ask your bank if an update is needed when having a new passport,they will say yes. If you deposit or withdraw money at the bank, I guess they just use it as an ID together with the bank book to check that the name matches. 

• Like 2

Several years ago, I walked into an SCB branch in Bangkok where I had never been before. I can't remember what I wanted, but I had my passport with me.  Before I even had a chance to say why I was there, a young clerk grabbed my passport, typed my name into the computer, and told me that she would have to update my passport information before I could proceed any further.

After spending 15 minutes attempting unsuccessfully to do that, she gave up. I proceeded, and completed whatever transaction I had come in for in the first instance.

I concluded that she was probably just trying to show off her English skills to any of her colleagues who might have been watching. It is certainly not the last time that I felt I was being delayed somewhere because someone wanted a chance to show off their English.

• Haha 1