Windows 10 Start menu Search faulty

toast1

Often Word files do not appear in the Start menu search function in Wn10.

Sometimes I have to click on documents, and sometimes have to open the Folder (dropbox) where the file is, after it has found it once it remembers it in future, but it is very strange. 

I've had the same problem on two WIn10 PCs.

Why does this happen, is it because its in a Folder of Dropbox? It doesn't seem logical.

Any way to fix this?

Thanks

might not be what you are looking for but I would suggest getting an app that works better than the search function in win10

app is called Everything by voidtools, can be gotten on ninite.com along with tons of other stuff.

that search thing is the first thing I get rid of when I get a new install of Windows 10 along with the ugly start menu

looks like below, write up some stuff on top, results are instant (after its properly indexed)

image.png.72dc6635712bedae16e00f7c790746fb.png

thank you

I do like it, reminds me of the old Win7 search, which I preferred. 

Is there any way to set up a key command to access this search using keyboard keys - instead of having to click on it manually every time.

I think the Start menu is trying to be smart, but it won't find files unless they have been opened recently.

Very odd

Edited by toast1

23 minutes ago, toast1 said:

thank you

I do like it, reminds me of the old Win7 search, which I preferred. 

Is there any way to set up a key command to access this search using keyboard keys?

I think the Start menu is trying to be smart, but it won't find files unless they have been opened recently.

Very odd

yes, I don't suggest actually using CTRL-F tho because it would take over the search in things like Firefox (and everything) but you can set anything you wish

if you like apps like these, try windirstat and classic start menu (all on ninite.com)

bunch of other things on there but i don't want to spam you with like 50 apps hah

image.png.a283ffaaeb140bf274296f573054c5a2.png

4 minutes ago, toast1 said:

Thanks for the info - I do miss the Win7 Start Menu, I think the Win10 is just trying to be too clever.

thanks

if you get Classic Start Menu you can make it look like any of the previous start menus, there are a few Styles but I customized mine down to what you can see on bottom left

mine always ends up looking like Windows 98/XP but if you need the Windows 10 menu for some reason you can always click the "Start Menu (Windows)" option

also in Settings it contains both the regular Windows 7 style control panel AND the normal Settings one.

I love Quicklaunch (the small icon bars at the bottom) but it's disabled by default on Windows 10.

if you are interested in that I can show you how to enable it but not everyone likes the "simplicity" of the bare UI I guess.

image.png.42c9b32f589217f0d3b83c4ee70af50f.png

You can choose which folders to search in Settings and "Indexing Options" in Control Panel.  You can also disable Bing search results which I find get in the way of me finding what I'm looking for.

www.howtogeek.com/224159/how-to-disable-bing-in-the-windows-10-start-menu/

Windows10Search.PNG.90b57297bc3527b66cf8dc194cf4134c.PNG

I also had similar problems to you.  I would entre the first few characters of a file I knew existed but didn't want to open file exporer and navigate to but it wouldn't appear.  Removing Bing results and customzing the folders being searched fixed that.

I keep all my data on a separate partition so the Users folder and and sub folders only contains meaningful files rather than all the system files.