Security for new air conditioning unit?

Chongalulu

Just installed a 23,000 baht Mitsubishi air con but as the house is a bit remote and we’re often away it occurred to me that it could be unbolted from the outside wall. We’ve covered it while not in use to mask it but wondered if there was some sort of security measure to prevent such theft and whether it’s a common crime?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, johng said:

I've heard about remote houses being stripped of anything valuable while the owners where away.

Maybe a friend or  relative could house sit ?

A good idea to have your house looking like it's protected. Lights switching on when the sun goes down, someone visiting or staying in the night time, security grills on house outside and water pump. All things help, but if they want to get in they will, just make it harder and look like you're there.

If you go out in many remote rice fields you'll see grills around the pumps.

Just last month they did over 2 houses about half a km from our village on the road to another village. Both just off the road. Took everything including the aircon.

• Like 1

he police-booths in Chinatown have an aircon right behind the window where the officers sit...and it's in a solid steel cage which already has been cut open leaving very sharp edges for the pedestrians who walk very close along it.

You need a cage i guess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Youlike said:

he police-booths in Chinatown have an aircon right behind the window where the officers sit...and it's in a solid steel cage which already has been cut open leaving very sharp edges for the pedestrians who walk very close along it.

You need a cage i guess.

I hear there's a thriving market for slightly used cages...

I'd get out my welder and tack a bead on each nut that needs to be taken off to steal the A/C unit.  It won't stop a determined thief, but nothing will, really.  My goal is to get him to move onto my neighbor's stuff.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, impulse said:

I hear there's a thriving market for slightly used cages...

I'd get out my welder and tack a bead on each nut that needs to be taken off to steal the A/C unit.  It won't stop a determined thief, but nothing will, really.  My goal is to get him to move onto my neighbor's stuff.

The welder tip is a good one,thanks and we have a neighbour next door keeping a look out . Her dog seems to prefer sleeping outside our front door  too ???? so fingers X !