No foolproof way to detect coronavirus infected people

rooster59

No foolproof way to detect coronavirus infected people

By THE NATION

800_3ceaaa04216c859.png

Thai people have been warned to be on high alert for the Wuhan coronavirus as there was no perfect screening procedure to detect infected people as of now, Prof Teerawat Hemachuta, the head of Health Science Centre of Emerging Diseases at Chulalongkorn Hospital, said on Friday (January 24).

“Patient screening presently is at the highest monitoring level” he said. “However if people are infected by the virus, it will take a few days before they show symptoms such as fever. An infected person can pass screening if they are in the undetected period of the disease.”

The coronavirus spreads easily through breath and secretion. The people most at risk are those working in airports and medical staff who screen patients.

The coronavirus causes severe pneumonia like the 2009 flu pandemic. Presently, researchers are developing a vaccine against the disease.

Teerawat suggested that people protect themselves from the disease by eating cooked food, using a fork and spoon and washing the hands regularly. Besides, he advised people to wear a medical mask when they are in crowded places.

In addition, he said the Department of Disease Control’s director-general and Food and Drug Administration’s secretary-general had discussed recently the preparation of an antiretroviral drug to tackle the situation created by the coronavirus.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381046

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-26

If you dont have a full face mask its not sufficient, nor is washing hands with regular soap...carrying your own spoon isnt as good as not eating out where youve no idea about the plates,kitchen hygiene, state of staff etc.

IF hes going to give advice he should be advising stay away from crowded places, public toilets, wet markets etc, do not travel if you feel unwell, eat at home, sterilise plates properly etc not just in warm water, use rubbing alcohol...these are standard viral precautions.

Not quite a moron but this doctor clearly has little clue about viral infection prevention steps. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, englishoak said:

If you dont have a full face mask its not sufficient, nor is washing hands with regular soap...carrying your own spoon isnt as good as not eating out where youve no idea about the plates,kitchen hygiene, state of staff etc.

IF hes going to give advice he should be advising stay away from crowded places, public toilets, wet markets etc, do not travel if you feel unwell, eat at home, sterilise plates properly etc not just in warm water, use rubbing alcohol...these are standard viral precautions.

Not quite a moron but this doctor clearly has little clue about viral infection prevention steps. 

he's just trying to help slow the panic from going viral - it's about all he can really do... 

getting trampled in rush out, by the panic stampede; gets it over with more quickly

Edited by tifino

5 minutes ago, tifino said:

he's just trying to help slow the panic from going viral

- it's about all he can really do... 

I know but at least give proper information if giving an interview as THE Thai professional expert 

Edited by englishoak

55 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Asians never wash their hands after going to the toilet

and there was only that ..

Have you ever seen a toilet or even a simple sink to wash your hands before eating in this so-called "great street food" that the whole world admires about Thailand? :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tifino said:

he's just trying to help slow the panic from going viral - it's about all he can really do... 

The media, as usual is doing all it can to "scare" people, we all have immune systems, are they useless against this "virus?

~150,000 people die everyday from various causes, 56 deaths are being attributed to death form this virus, where they healthy people or were they in poor health anyway!

Lets all panic first, then ask questions later!

2 hours ago, justin case said:

ah thailand, even you would wear a surgical mask (which does not protect), the virus droplet in the air can hit your eyeball and you will get infected

Nonsense. 

Stop with spreading panic.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

That is clear ;

To date, there is no vaccine against this disease;
and as the professor explains, without double talk:

“However if people are infected by the virus, it will take a few days before they show symptoms such as fever. An infected person can pass screening if they are in the undetected period of the disease.

In fact it is not a few days but a fortnight.
and in 15 days things can happen.
Besides, the Chinese authorities thought they had succeeded in confining the disease to the place where it broke out;
then they widened the circle and we will realize that it will have been useless;
cases have been reported in a lot of countries everywhere on this earth ...

2007 confirmed cases, 1052 in Hubei.

56 dead, 52 in Hubei

92 recovered, 85 in Hubei

---------------------------------------

29 International cases

38 International suspected cases

0 dead

3 recovered

So it would seem it's pretty well contained, and you have more chance of recovering than dying.

“Patient screening presently is at the highest monitoring level” he said. “However if people are infected by the virus, it will take a few days before they show symptoms such as fever. An infected person can pass screening if they are in the undetected period of the disease.”

From what I have read a person can be a walking disease packet for up to 15 days without symptoms. There are people who were bragging how they escaped their city's lock down and are now back home with their parents or a different country.  

If half the stuff in this link is true .https://halturnerradioshow.com/index.php/en/news-page/news-nation/coronavirus-in-china-20-million-quarantined-2-8-million-infected-112-000-dead..this is gonna be a biggie.. Let us hope not but the propensity of the CCP to be less than truthful you have to wonder just how bad this is going to get or how bad it already is ?

1 hour ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I heard they've developed a very clever device that's able to detect Corona viruses. Only 50 million Baht....

images (22).jpeg

...could be steering many in the wrong direction

image.jpeg.b5d5c1ee7c65ba13c58c22d0de9054ac.jpeg using old tech 

7 minutes ago, 727Sky said:

From what I have read a person can be a walking disease packet for up to 15 days without symptoms. There are people who were bragging how they escaped their city's lock down and are now back home with their parents or a different country.  

If half the stuff in this link is true .https://halturnerradioshow.com/index.php/en/news-page/news-nation/coronavirus-in-china-20-million-quarantined-2-8-million-infected-112-000-dead..this is gonna be a biggie.. Let us hope not but the propensity of the CCP to be less than truthful you have to wonder just how bad this is going to get or how bad it already is ?

Then it's a good job that none of the stuff in that link is true isn't it? The quarantine figure isn't exaggerated as much as the rest but it's all in one urban conurbation. There's quite a lot of cities in China with 20m inhabitants.

See my post above. This information is released with the approval of the World Health Organisation so chucking brickbats at the Chinese is wasted effort in this case.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thai people have been warned to be on high alert for the Wuhan coronavirus as there was no perfect screening procedure to detect infected people as of now, Prof Teerawat Hemachuta, the head of Health Science Centre of Emerging Diseases at Chulalongkorn Hospital, said on Friday (January 24).

I was reading the other day that the French had discovered a quick way of detecting this virus is this true.....??

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Nonsense. 

Stop with spreading panic.

Hes correct, depends on the mask quality and what its rated for. No point using something that dosnt do what it needs to.

As an example Surgical face masks are used mainly in hospitals to capture micro-organisms in the breath of medical staff to protect the patient against infection. They protect those around the wearer, rather than the wearer. 

Anyone thinking of or using a mask should if possible make it the right kind for the job.. N95 rating or P2 min P3 rated ideally to be effective.. Important to remember Beards and any facial hair compromises the masks seal and ergo the effectiveness.

Edited by englishoak

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Asians never wash their hands after going to the toilet

On my floor at work they all do, the issan in-laws do and I never saw any student at my university skip the hand washing. I guess they're all exceptions then.

• Like 1

Just now, yokat said:

On my floor at work they all do, the issan in-laws do and I never saw any student at my university skip the hand washing. I guess they're all exceptions then.

The moment they touch the next door handle they're screwed anyway

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yokat said:

The remainder have the wisdom not to urinate or defecate on their hands?

6 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

That is clear ;

To date, there is no vaccine against this disease;
and as the professor explains, without double talk:

“However if people are infected by the virus, it will take a few days before they show symptoms such as fever. An infected person can pass screening if they are in the undetected period of the disease.

In fact it is not a few days but a fortnight.
and in 15 days things can happen.
Besides, the Chinese authorities thought they had succeeded in confining the disease to the place where it broke out;
then they widened the circle and we will realize that it will have been useless;
cases have been reported in a lot of countries everywhere on this earth ...

Here's a video of a Wuhan citizen asking for help with English subs.

If he's right, it can also be contracted through the eyes.

A very sad video.

• Like 1