If Mideast War, What Effect For Thailand?

canuckamuck

For a long time now, the terrain of the middle east hasn't been able to reasonably sustain more than a small human population. Their flora and fauna are nearly gonzo - the death knell was Saddam torching the oil wells in Kuwait and further poisoning the Persian Gulf. Without oil revenues, the ME would be about as properous as Mali.

Survival of the fittest in a macro perspective: If the Arabs continue to fight like army ants, then let them go ahead and thin out their populations. The planet can use less people.

The best-case realistic scenario for the ME is localized military conflicts. Contemporary Arabs have proven they just can't get along - not with each other, and not with others.

The other major flashpoints for the next world wars: Taiwan/China ||| N.Korea ||| Pakistan/India ....all in Asia.

Thailand needn't have major worries if wars break out elsewhere. One Thai concern might be a future where Chinese males surge southward searching for SE Asian brides - resulting from China's policy of mass killing female babies.

For a long time now, the terrain of the middle east hasn't been able to reasonably sustain more than a small human population. Their flora and fauna are nearly gonzo - the death knell was Saddam torching the oil wells in Kuwait and further poisoning the Persian Gulf. Without oil revenues, the ME would be about as properous as Mali.

Survival of the fittest in a macro perspective: If the Arabs continue to fight like army ants, then let them go ahead and thin out their populations. The planet can use less people.

The best-case realistic scenario for the ME is localized military conflicts. Contemporary Arabs have proven they just can't get along - not with each other, and not with others.

The other major flashpoints for the next world wars: Taiwan/China ||| N.Korea ||| Pakistan/India ....all in Asia.

Thailand needn't have major worries if wars break out elsewhere. One Thai concern might be a future where Chinese males surge southward searching for SE Asian brides - resulting from China's policy of mass killing female babies.

Your last words are completely off topic, but please refer to facts, not hearsay or reading stories.

I am very well aware of the 1-child policy in China but that doesn't mean that there is a "China policy of mass killing female babies". :o

LaoPo

thailand has it's own set of weapons of mass destruction which would deter any nuclear, chemical, or biological attack on the kingdom.

the expert i was interviewing mentioned fish sauce and somtam as the primary deterents. he then went on to identify the possibility of threatening to cancel all retirement visas, saying, if those old gits cant get a visa they will complain to their respective govts. and by extension we will be protected.

he wrapped it up with this: no visa no honey for old mingers.

guess that sums it up pretty well.

It will not only affect Thailand but the whole world....sky rocketing oilprices will absolutely be a much bigger burden on every economy,especially developing countries,then many will anticipate.

Also for their own problems in the south that thailand has,it will not surprise me that the religious conflict can find an even more desastres way of working cause they will be spurred from these conflicts and feel want to fight ,for them say justice,to have what they want and that is an sharia moslim only independent state,away from Thailand.I do not see this problem be solved unless thai land shooses to let them go on certain rules but more freely,only then it could go calm,very complicated indeed.So yes it will affect Thailand,in an indirect way.

Given escalating conflict in the Iran/Arabian-Gulf area, I would expect direct-flights to Europe to take longer routes to avoid the area, and all those nice cheap Gulf-based airlines to experience severe delays & disruption.

Airlines would, without exception, seize the opportunity to slap-on surcharges to cover the war-risks. These would, as usual, be out of all proportion to the actual increased-risk. Thai Airways would raise its domestic-fares (they always do !)

Tourism would catch a cold & room-rates in Thailand would fall - Goody for us !

Thai workers in the M.E. would try to return home. Sad for them & their families.

Any views on the effect on the strength of the Baht ?