My big fat Indian destination wedding in Thailand: 30 hotel floors, 24-hour foot massages for 700 guests, waterfall bars – and a Batmobile

webfact

My big fat Indian destination wedding in Thailand: 30 hotel floors, 24-hour foot massages for 700 guests, waterfall bars – and a Batmobile

Driven by celebrity trends, social media and amenities, couples from India and Hong Kong are taking over Thai hotels and resorts to host lavish celebrations with exotic flourishes

Anna Cummins

bkk.jpg

The Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen, where Hongkongers Mira and Ravine Mahtani tied the knot – in front of 700 guests. Photo: Ali Ghorbani

Fairy tale weddings are proving a dream come true for Thailand’s tourism chiefs, with the country looking to capitalise on lucrative Indian destination weddings in the coming decade.

The average cost of an Indian wedding in Thailand is 10 million baht, or US$330,000. The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has conducted promotional campaigns in recent years to capture this desirable, high-spending segment.

Thailand is a good choice for Indian wedding celebrations, including proximity to India, availability of direct flights, visa-on-arrival for Indian passport holders, overall cost-effectiveness, and the availability of resorts and hotels that can accommodate high numbers of guests.

These are just some of the reasons that Hongkongers Mira Mahtani, née Uttamchandani, and Ravine Mahtani chose to wed in Bangkok in February 2018. The much-anticipated “RaRa” wedding featured 10 events over four-and-a-half days. Highlights included the groom entering in a Batmobile driven by Batman (requiring an entire Bangkok street to be closed for 20 minutes), 360-degree LED visuals in the ballroom, waterfall bars, a 3D-motion butterfly installation and light-up trainers gifted to every guest.

Full story: https://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/luxury/article/3047522/my-big-fat-indian-destination-wedding-thailand-30-hotel

-- SCMP 2020-01-29

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

With a bit of research you will find that you can have the same extravaganza - and perhaps even more lavish - in a 5-star hotel in Mumbai for 30% less.  

Good luck shutting down traffic in Mumbai for 20 minutes (unless you're a Sheikh or Government official).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Some Hotels belonging to a world known French company would be well advised to start refusing Indians in their hotels . Their behaviour is disgusting and many members have vowed never to return. You just have to read the reviews. I for one am very careful where I book a hotel in Thailand as they tend to favour certain areas. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, wotsdermatter said:

Slight problem here.  Som Tam is made without rice and Basmati is a type of rice.  Get things right before pressing enter or submitting a reply.

'nuf sed.

No problem here:

Indian weddings in Thailand with local cuisine offered being Somtam [I know what somtam contains] and sticky rice [khao niaw] as first choice... 

Thailand does not produce true Basmati rice which Indians favour at elaborate occasions especially weddings, as none is grown or available here I merely asked if they wanted a traditional Indian wedding they would have to ship some in themselves.!

"nuff-said"

This is completely stupid, and also idiotic, for an Indian to have his/her wedding in Thailand.

There are many places in India to do an extravagant wedding, and have the entire hotel/resort to themselves.

Are they wishing to have their wedding started off in a country famous for infidelity and very easily accessible women?

Crazy Indians.

41 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

This is completely stupid, and also idiotic, for an Indian to have his/her wedding in Thailand.

There are many places in India to do an extravagant wedding, and have the entire hotel/resort to themselves.

Are they wishing to have their wedding started off in a country famous for infidelity and very easily accessible women?

Crazy Indians.

But they want to show off with add ons to the wedding like 'we took 300 people to Thailand for our son's wedding', etc.

If they want to go another country for the wedding they could always go to Pakistan at least they know they are very welcome, just like loving brothers. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1