Were you duped by these fake coronavirus stories on Thai social media?

webfact

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

On Wednesday, shocking video footage which purported to show a Chinese man falling down at Suvarnabhumi airport due to coronavirus infection was quickly found to be false. 

The footage and corresponding Facebook post was even reviewed by Thailand’s Anti Fake News Centre, who discovered the man in clip was actually drunk, and had not been infected with the coronavirus.

:cheesy:

There was a YouTube Video from a Chinese Nurse (in Semi-hazmat) apparently sending her video out from Wuhan - this video was circulated on FaceBook.

I believed the video to be genuine, although the Translation from Chinese to English Subtitles is reported to have been highly flawed. 

The English Subtitles would have us believe there are 70,000 cases of Coronavirus in Wuhan (as of 3-4 days ago when the video was released). There were a number of comments on the Video commenting on the incorrect translation and that 70,000 people in Wuhan had been tested for the Coranovirus, the actual number of cases was not discussed. 

The video was somewhat alarmist, but even if true and there were 70,000 cases of Coronavirus the mortality rate is thus low (with only 135 deaths (world wide) at the time).

I'm currently Sat in the foodhall at my local big c. Of the 100 or so people in my field of view just two (other than staff) are wearing masks, as indeed am I.

As an afterthought the foreign hippy to my right has just sneezed all over me ???? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Beggar said:

I never can be duped by anything on Thai social media simply because I don't understand Thai and in addition avoid the typical social media channels completely. 

I tend to avoid Thai social media, especially Facebook, like the plague!  (oopps!)

Especially for anything science or medical related, where the level of literacy here seems dire at best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Were you duped by these fake coronavirus stories on Thai social media?

No, not me. I saw the Thai PM say it's 100% under control, and the Thai foreign minister say we should trust the Chinese authorities, but I didn't believe that for a second. 

• Haha 2