Ticks

Out dog has lots of ticks and does not matter what I get-shampoo, powder, even some stuff from the vet, nothing seems to work.I get them out one day and next day another 20 or so.He is Thai dog, would not stay in the house.Anybody has any better idea what can be done?

Spoke to the lady who works for my local vet (saw here in a bar, ended up having a drink with her), she said the vet sells something you mix with water then spray all over the garden, kills them all she said.

Like I said above, this was in a bar, so I couldn't see the product in question, but not sure if I want to go spraying chemicals all over my garden, obviously need to keep my dog inside for a day or two, but what then, surely this stuff will be just as poisonous to him (and my family) as it is to Ticks?

Out dog has lots of ticks and does not matter what I get-shampoo, powder, even some stuff from the vet, nothing seems to work.I get them out one day and next day another 20 or so.He is Thai dog, would not stay in the house.Anybody has any better idea what can be done?

After forgetting to give our dogs their monthly dose of frontline, they were suddenly covered in ticks. We've used different products over the years but Frontline Spot On is the only one we've found effective. Its the only one that doesn't give our dogs any skin bad reactions (like others used in the past, namely Revolution) or other bad effects. We've never had any success with the thai stuff (that my husband decided to get cause it was cheaper than what I asked for him to get) either.

Our dogs are given their monthly application, and we also use the frontline spray to spray their bedding and mid-month, I give them a very light spray to keep them tick free. It's not cheap using products like frontline, but its worth it if it works and will prevent tick diseases like Ehrlichiosis which one of my dogs died from :o

How are you going with the removal of the ticks? The easiest way we've found is to cover them in vasaline, then they are easy to pick off (without leaving their head) or either drop off by itself.

Tick Diseases Link

With products like Frontline, Advantix, Revolution etc PLEASE make sure you read the instructions before application. There are reports of bad reactions & deaths from the chemicals in the products, but a lot of them can be avoided. Remember never to apply the products after your dog has been bathed (we wait a couple of days). Remember that ticks have a cycle so it may take a week or two before it looks like the product actually works.

Good Luck.

Edited by MsFigure

hi

i had my garden and house sprayed with a fogger with the solution solent01 mentioned. at the same time my dogs got injected ivermec and again ivermec after 15 days. no tick after that found. if your house is infested, which happens easily, only one tick needs to place its eggs somewhere, you need to do this to really get rid of ticks and after that you don't need any spot ons anymore. of course if you let your dog run where ticks are spot ons are highly recommended in addition. only need to keep your dog away for one hour or so and stay outside of your house for the same time. after that still ants, butterflies, birds etc are in my garden and my dogs are fine too.

i have read somewhere that you shouldn't suffocate ticks with oil or so before removing as they vomit then and spit in the dogs skin, which would give them any bloodparasite if the tick is infected. don't know if true though. i found it easy to remove the ticks with my fingers/fingernails. also you should avoid to squeeze the tick for the same reason.

usually tick and flea powder don't kill the ticks effectively, a soak in amitraz would be recommended for dogs with lots of ticks.

hi

i had my garden and house sprayed with a fogger with the solution solent01 mentioned. at the same time my dogs got injected ivermec and again ivermec after 15 days. no tick after that found. if your house is infested, which happens easily, only one tick needs to place its eggs somewhere, you need to do this to really get rid of ticks and after that you don't need any spot ons anymore. of course if you let your dog run where ticks are spot ons are highly recommended in addition. only need to keep your dog away for one hour or so and stay outside of your house for the same time. after that still ants, butterflies, birds etc are in my garden and my dogs are fine too.

i have read somewhere that you shouldn't suffocate ticks with oil or so before removing as they vomit then and spit in the dogs skin, which would give them any bloodparasite if the tick is infected. don't know if true though. i found it easy to remove the ticks with my fingers/fingernails. also you should avoid to squeeze the tick for the same reason.

usually tick and flea powder don't kill the ticks effectively, a soak in amitraz would be recommended for dogs with lots of ticks.

hi elfe, never heard that before about the ticks vomiting - something I'll check out. The only reason we use the vasaline is because it's the best method we've found to remove the whole tick and one that my husband also used growing up on a farm where ticks were everywhere.

Just found this good tip on a dog site:

TICK REMOVAL

The goal of tick removal is to get rid of the live insect in one piece. While the squeamish at heart may be tempted to give the little bugger a quick yank and be done with it, leaving parts of the tick embedded in your flesh will most likely cause an infection. With patience in mind, follow these simple steps:

1. Wash your hands.

2. Sterilize a pair of tweezers. This can be done with rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab or by running a lit match beneath them.

3. Grab the tick as close to your skin’s surface as possible and pull slowly. Do not jerk! You want the tick to help you, by backing out as you’re pulling. If the tick does not back out on its own, stop pulling, and add a few drops of rubbing alcohol, cooking oil, or petroleum jelly to the surface of the skin. The added moisture will begin to drown the tick, causing him to back out.

4. Wait. Within five to ten minutes, the tick should begin to loosen its hold.

5. Pull again. Using the tweezers again, gently pull the tick from your skin.

6. Examine the tick. Make sure you both remove the head and body of the tick. If you suspect the tick is a disease carrier, preserve the tick in a zip lock bag for examination by your physician.

7. Cleansing. Once the tick is out, wash the skin area with antibacterial soap or swab affected area with an antiseptic. Any itching, rash or irritation can be treated with hydrocortisone or antiseptic creams.

actually i have never had problems removing ticks easily with my bare fingers, and i have pulled out thousands in the last few years... the ticks here let loose easily of the skin. never saw any skin infection at a tick bite spot either. only my great dane had a skin infection after an infected tick bit him one and a half year ago, the area red, hot and swollen and his leg where the bite was hurt him as he was limping :o after treatment for 21 days with doxy he was and is still fine...

Me too. In fact, the tick often pulls away with a piece of skin still in its disgusting little mouth (jaws whatever).

Ticks seem to be less bad this year here, perhaps because it is so dry. Now we are having a problem with fleas! They live in the dirt behind the house and even sweeping up in that area leaves my ankles covered with fleas! ICK!!!!

Anything to get rid of fleas that are living in the soil?

• 2 weeks later...

My parents have always used Johnson baby shampoo. Dog shampoo never works here.

And put ivermectin powder in their food in dosages described on the packaging.

If things get too bad you can always buy a bottle of ivermectin and inject a half-dose every week yourself.

actually i have never had problems removing ticks easily with my bare fingers, and i have pulled out thousands in the last few years... the ticks here let loose easily of the skin. never saw any skin infection at a tick bite spot either. only my great dane had a skin infection after an infected tick bit him one and a half year ago, the area red, hot and swollen and his leg where the bite was hurt him as he was limping :o after treatment for 21 days with doxy he was and is still fine...

Agree, elfe. I think if you're removing as many ticks as we do, you get used to doing it quickly & effectively with your fingers. I only use tweezers/forceps for inside ears & sometimes between toes, as they can reach those areas easily & painlessly.

I then drown the ticks in either paraffin/engine oil (I keep a plastic bottle of this in the center for this purpose) or a mix of alcohol & water or bleach & water. I have heard plain water doesn't work, as they can live in it for months in a state of suspended animation.

sbk, not sure what you can use on soil to get rid of fleas. We used to get pest control in every 2 or 3 months to spray against ticks, but we never got fleas. Then we moved to our "new" place & the dogs are infested. Ivomec was working on ticks but not on fleas. It was driving me (& the dogs, obviously) crazy. Then I tried flea & tick collars. They're useless against ticks, but seem to be keeping the fleas away. I am a bit worried that we're using too many anti-parasite measures, but we've had so many cases of blood parasites & one death from it this year, that I'm taking the chance with going OTT. :D

Agree, elfe. I think if you're removing as many ticks as we do, you get used to doing it quickly & effectively with your fingers. I only use tweezers/forceps for inside ears & sometimes between toes, as they can reach those areas easily & painlessly.

I then drown the ticks in either paraffin/engine oil (I keep a plastic bottle of this in the center for this purpose) or a mix of alcohol & water or bleach & water. I have heard plain water doesn't work, as they can live in it for months in a state of suspended animation.

sbk, not sure what you can use on soil to get rid of fleas. We used to get pest control in every 2 or 3 months to spray against ticks, but we never got fleas. Then we moved to our "new" place & the dogs are infested. Ivomec was working on ticks but not on fleas. It was driving me (& the dogs, obviously) crazy. Then I tried flea & tick collars. They're useless against ticks, but seem to be keeping the fleas away. I am a bit worried that we're using too many anti-parasite measures, but we've had so many cases of blood parasites & one death from it this year, that I'm taking the chance with going OTT. :D

go to the supermarket a buy cloves of garlic hang it around his neck if that does not keep ticks away it will keep you away so you won't get any ticks LOL

Good thread, something that worries all dog owners. My Mrs is into search and destroy, she goes over the pooch every couple of nights and usually gets one or two.

I'm not keen on mass poisoning the garden, kills all the good insects as well and expats may find this hard to believe but there are a few. I thought flea collars had gone out of fashion, I know Vets who claim they make the dog's life a misery but I've never used them. The most effective thing for fleas in my experience is the "flea drops", that you put in their food. With ticks, as I said before...eternal vigilance.

• 2 weeks later...

Ticks carry heartworm disease and can transmit it to dogs. Also same for mosquitoes. This is endemic here. You better also ensure your dog has heartworm preventative treatment. Pills available in the pet shop next to Villa soi 33. I assure you that this preventative treatment is 1000% required in Thailand. Also monthly injectons available from any vet. This is a nasty disease I have seen one dog die from it here and it is a painful death. Thai ticks seem to also have a resistance to such meds as Frontline although it works on the fleas so this is the only effective counter measure.

When there is an epidemic all tick repellents don't really work, in my experience. At the kennel with all the comers adn goers, I have Pest control every month to spray the premises against ticks. This month even twice (last week they came and coming Friday they come again), as I had an outbreak.

I've noticed that when you have an outbreak spraying once doesn't help, because after the spraying the ticks are coming out of their hiding places and the stuff used don't kill the eggs. So a second and sometimes even thrid round is needed.

That's what i also always advice to my customers.

When you decide to have pest control coming over, then it is best to wathc them when spraying. They tend to spray only the grounds (as with termites spraying), but they have to spray all cracks, bushes in the garden, under the roof, under the places where your dog loves to sleep, and even behind those metal bar things in front of your windows, etc. Ticks crawl up again the walls and then hide somewhere.

I'm in Chiang Mai and I use already for years 'Chiang Mai pest control' 053 278 743 and 053 814 817

Nienke