Teachers drowning in debt, PM reminded

snoop1130

On 1/31/2020 at 8:43 PM, PatOngo said:

To buy face! Look at me, I got a house, a car and the latest iPhone.....I'm rich!

Yes, it.s all for show but all belongs to the bank or finance company, of course their neighbours don't know that.

" Teachers drowning in debt, PM reminded"

Indeed. Debt entered into voluntarily and of their own free will. Nobody's going to bail me out or 'start a committee' to gas-bag about it if I borrow more than I can pay back... Bless 'em, they're just like rather big little children.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LazySlipper said:

Everyone here is putting the blame on the teachers. Maybe if the salaries were adequate their level of ddbt wouldn't be so high. Teaching is one of the most, if not THE MOST important jobs yet it os also one of the lowest paid, both here and in the west.

trouble is thai teachers are not really that smart and would never be accepted as a teacher in the west, the amount of debt they are in shows they lack the simple knowledge to even understand their own financial abilities. The problem is face/pride/big noting themselves, they want people to think they are well off when they are not, if they actually lived within their means they would do fine, it is the attitude of wanting to look more than they are that is the problem. Time they learned that they have to repay loans and not simply ignore them or spend more than they can afford, my wife's aunt & uncle were both teachers, they managed to buy a house & land that was within their means, was not a big house or in a better area but they were able to afford it, they are retired and able to live comfortably on what they have,  more teachers need to be like them, forget face/big noting themselves and buy what they can afford so they are not in big debt

• Like 2

I know so many Thais (not only teachers) with serious financial problems. Young families with debt they will never be able to repay, due to crazy government schemes telling them to just go out and spend. 

8 hours ago, khunpa said:

I know so many Thais (not only teachers) with serious financial problems. Young families with debt they will never be able to repay, due to crazy government schemes telling them to just go out and spend. 

The Government is just doing what their bosses tell them to do. Dhanin is not rich enough yet.

18 hours ago, khunpa said:

Pass the debt onto the kids when they start working? Rinse and repeat??

I've had major ups and downs, but even when I was under the influence for years at a stretch I always lived within my means, and when I think why it was because of the influence of my father who was a penny-pincher who at the same time made a lot in business. I'm saying it is passed on generation to generation in most cases. Here in LOS it's the generation to generation culture, and if anything will ever change or modify it, it is experienced misery, not forgiveness. 

The teachers here are overworked and underpaid and it's time the government took care of their teachers by raising their salaries / benefits... this is truly a sad situation and has gone on for decades.... the education system is a joke!!

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, khunpa said:

Give me a break. They're grown-ups who should be able to think for themselves. It's hardly the government's fault these incredibly stupid individuals are buying stuff they can't afford.

Plenty of Thai people live within their means and don't spend more than they can afford.

• Like 1

Teachers unable to count, PM reminded

On 1/31/2020 at 7:23 PM, snoop1130 said:

The Government Savings Bank is even confiscating the assets of the debtors’ guarantors, even when they have enough money to repay the debts.

Ok this part is stupid if true, the bank should be able to put a number on how much is owed and the guarantors should be given the possibility to pay back. There could be a part of the story missing here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Myran said:

Give me a break. They're grown-ups who should be able to think for themselves. It's hardly the government's fault these incredibly stupid individuals are buying stuff they can't afford.

Plenty of Thai people live within their means and don't spend more than they can afford.

The problem is that in LOS it is easy to borrow money, the agents that lend do everything possible to lend for their own handout...

On 1/31/2020 at 8:42 PM, bwpage3 said:

If the teacher's aren't smart enough to manage their own

personal finances, image how the next generation of Thai students will turn out.

I'm in the educational field for the last 15 years, and all I can say is it doesn't look right to me.

A fish rots from the head down, innit?

The problem seems to be at the top, and if these teachers are gambling millions away, without any issues, year after year, there's gotta be something wrong.

The problem existed 20 years ago, and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. 

The knowledge of an M 12 student after finishing high school might be similar to a German student who only completed the nine years of 'junior high school" ( Amer.), or "secondary modern school" in the UK. 

I honestly feel sorry for the students that they have to go through something they call education.

1. Allow students to ask their teachers questions in class at the primary and secondary levels.

2. Stop activities that only look good, but aren't efficient in any way. Boy Scout marching comes to mind, etc.

3. Students should have the right to receive a proper education but not what most Thai teachers these days deliver. 

4. Employ ministers at the MoE who've got real teaching experience and know where the fish starts stinking.

5. Stop the "Khun Kru near god status" where students have to bow down and get on their knees when they want to see their teacher in the office. 

Treat them as human beings, not as animals might be a good start.

The students of today are the teachers of tomorrow. 

It's so sad that they do not understand the basics of a modern education, having all available techniques and the internet. 

46 minutes ago, transam said:

The problem is that in LOS it is easy to borrow money, the agents that lend do everything possible to lend for their own handout...

No one's forcing them to borrow money. Personal responsibility is a thing. They are adults after all.

• Haha 1