Council sets steps to offset virus impact

rooster59

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Council of Economic Ministers on Friday (January 31) outlined measures to cushion impacts of the novel coronavirus outbreak on Thailand.

You should use the same force to combat road accidents and PM 2.5, you would save a lot more people!
The flu comes, makes some deaths and goes away, we know it year after year!

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, NeoDinosaw said:

"a committee to ensure 'ease of travelling'. The committee will focus on upgrading tourism sector and solve problems for travellers."

The main problem for tourists who want to travel around the country is the necessity to report to Immigration Office every time you move from one place to another. I am talking about the new rules. It was bad enough with 90 day reporting. I went to Imm Office in Kanchanaburi (because I was there and not at home) at lunch time. The formal notice outside said it was open from 9.00 am to 4.00 pm (I may have got these times wrong- it was a while back !).  An informal notice on the door said that it was closed for lunch from 12.00 until  1.00 pm. Come 1.00 pm it was still shut. Sometime before 2.00 it opened again.  I presented my passport  having filled out the necessary form, and was told that I could not do it there because this was not the IO I was registered with.  According to the IO website you should be able to do 90 report at any office in the country.  When I got home to report, I was late so was given a 2000 Baht fine thanks to the ever-so-helpful officer at Kanchanaburi.  

Trips to Immigration Offices take up a very large amount of time. They are also very stressful when the officers refuse to do their job properly.  Anybody wanting to tour round Thailand will soon learn that they will spend more time at the Immigration Offices than they planned.

Somebody with some clout needs to get Immigration to be tourist-friendly, otherwise the tourists wkill stop coming

For 90 day reporting, I believe that you can do it 14 days before and up to 7 days after. So that gives you 21 days. Were you away from your home throughout that whole period?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Kobsak Pootrakool, deputy secretary-general to the prime minister for political affairs, said short term measures would include reduction of excise on jet fuel, tax cuts for local tourism seminars organised by the private sector, postponement of corporate tax payment for companies in the tourism sector and soft loans for tourism operators.

Good luck with that. Nothing quite like a series of empty gestures when the demons of just desserts crawl up your bottom.

• Like 1

Here's a four step plan for them, no comitte needed:

1/ Don't become the hub of coronavirus infection

2/ Let the baht naturally fall down

3/ Do something against air pollution (really, not another comittee or "X urges Y")

4/ Take down the various mafias ripping off tourists

I would be surprised if they go any further than step 2.

Also let's be honest, tourists have no visa problems and most are not even aware of the TM30.

10 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Uh-huh. The way to offset deaths from the virus is to make more babies. Tough job, short time hotels better prepare.

Fear not!

The babies will come in Q4 of 2020. Many people are staying put in their domiciles during the initial virus scare. Boredom will set in. Babies will be produced.

Thai/Thai babies. Thai/farang babies. Lots of babies.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He added that after the situation returns to normal, the TAT will promote travel by Thais and woo tourists from other countries to offset the decline in  arrivals from China.

"Travel by Thais". Sure, increase the credit card debt of the 90%.

"woo tourists from other countries". You weren't terribly successful at it before the virus, it won't be any easier after the virus.

• Like 1