Another fedex import twist

yankee99

1st off ive used FedEx many times and they basically go by the book with taxes based on supplied documentation. 

I decided to import a casper mattress from the usa. Cost of the mattress was around $600 and FedEx economy for this was $250.00

The mattress arrived and my calculations would be based on $850 + tax + vat about $250 in taxes. Well the taxes came in a lot higher and come to find out if you dont include shipping on the invoice they {customs} i assume have a formula of 1kgx720baht to estimate shipping in my case thats ฿38,016. Why they need a estimate is crazy they know exactly what shipping cost. 

anyways they wouldn't allow me to ammend the invoice so lesson learned always include shipping would have saved me almost 10,000 baht

The problem is probably with Fedex, not with Thai customs. As has been said many times: Don't use couriers. Afaik they take a percentage of the import duties as fee, so the more import duties you pay, the more they earn, they are not interested in lowering your customs duty.

In my cases (shipping through regular post) Thai customs have always been very flexible in what kind of proof they accept, even things like just showing them the price on a website.

Had you not used a courier, you could have easily disputed the amount with the correct form and had it re-assessed based on whatever your purchase receipt states., and evidence you provide etc.

Lesson learned, hopefully.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Had you not used a courier, you could have easily disputed the amount with the correct form and had it re-assessed based on whatever your purchase receipt states., and evidence you provide etc.

Lesson learned, hopefully.

No other options for shipping this size besides dhl&fedex. DHL was $500+ freight costs 

• Thanks 1