Paying for hotel in Thailand with UK credit card

4 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Spedo1968---why not book it through someone like Agoda---you can pay in any denomination----your probably get it a little cheaper---& their office is in the UK

What's wrong with using Agoda and pay with a UK credit card? 

30 minutes ago, Max69xl said:
4 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Spedo1968---why not book it through someone like Agoda---you can pay in any denomination----your probably get it a little cheaper---& their office is in the UK

What's wrong with using Agoda and pay with a UK credit card? 

Wow what a good idea, I wish I had thought of that........wait a minute...I did...........:coffee1:

6 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Halifax online app allows you to inform them of your travel plans.

Not any more, they took that link off last year. They now say no need to inform them, their automatic system will identify any abnormal use.

• 4 weeks later...

^^^And use from a foreign location is abnormal.  ...That is vacation/travel, expat will need to change the phone number/ update it.

The automatic system will overide any notes or notifications if the system detects an unusual payment request.

That's about it.   If you do not notify about foreign travel location and period, then very likely (typically) all requests at a foreign location will be rejected.  Or cause a query/confirmation request.  Hence the need to change the phone number, if the system uses SMS for confirmation requests.

The system will trigger confirmation requests according to the rules/etc. based on your use history. ...Which can include location/s within your base country.  Other factors are the amount, the category of store/business...all that is combined to calculate a risk level/rating.
If foreign location, countries have different weighting/ratings.  So you might find, for example, that Malaysia has a higher risk rating than Thailand.

My bank does use SMS...the SMS says reply YES to confirm.  So hence the need to add the new phone number, so the SMS gets sent to both phone numbers.  (I think there are apps that forward all SMS recieved to an email address.)

Of course the problem is when it happens at a hotel reception or shop in a foreign location.  [...]