Whats the go with the signs for speed cameras?

ubonr1971

7 hours ago, bluejets said:

Trade in your lead foot for some common sense and obey the law.

It's there for a reason.

Are you saying all the laws in Thailand are there for a reason?? Apart from lining certain people pockets, what reasons? I could write a whole list of laws that are there for no reason at all, just because certain people can make them.

• Like 1

On 4 Feb went to HHIO (Hua Hin Immigration Office) on the SW side of town.  We returned from my 90-day check-in heading south on the A4.  I saw two of those 90 KPH speed limit signs with a camera icon.  A few hundred meters and a cop sitting in the shade with a radar camera on a tripod.  I was going 80 KPH. We make frequent enough trips to Bangkok.  The first cop on duty I've seen in years.  Further down the road two Highway Police cars with flashers going and traffic cones to funnel traffic.  We slowed down and were waved through.

Edited by Fortean1
typo
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 5:06 AM, ubonr1971 said:

I like the system over here that there's only a 500 baht fine no matter how fast you were caught on camera. Back in the nanny state the fines are huge depending on the infringement. 

500? I was clocked at 136kmh near Muak Lek (90kmh limit) and the fine that came through the post was 1000 baht.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mattd said:

Really?

There are several functioning cameras on the motorway, closest one to Pattaya being at KM 112 area, on both sides in the central reservation, followed by at least 3 more sets between there and the service area.

They are pretty prominent!

The signs above that display your speed are not cameras, only sensors, so far!

On 34 (Bangna Trad) overhead expressway, the real tall poles are all speed cameras.

Most tolls have the solid white line cameras on them.

What is crazy is to find 90kms orange signs on this motorway when the only real speed limit is 120kms.

49 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

the wife will get the ticket as the car is in her name.

Got a ticket in mail with picture our car but her girlfriend was driving. The 2 going into Udon Thani speed limit drops to 60 just

past the 7/11....

California law. The most common definition of a “speed trap” is a section of a highway where the speed of a vehicle is calculated by counting the time it takes the car to travel between two marked points. Speed Trap is illegal according to law. 

12 hours ago, rech said:

Speed cameras are all located on Waze, why is it so complicated for most of you to use the only one useful application to know where are cameras ? are you all so old fashioned ?

Waze sucks for coming up with stupid routes - it's faster and better to use Google Maps and not speed.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tulak said:

isn't it what people have been calling for? (...stick to the rules everywhere, not only...)

For too long many are complaining about unsafe driving and not following the rules in Thailand - and now what? Only follow when there is no camera?

Just stick to the rules for your own sake and all the others too.

The thing is, I am a good driver so don't have to stick to the rules. I can go fast when I want because I know what is around me and see what is coming from the sides and I can ignore red lights because I check if something is coming. I'm not so sure about everyone else though.

• Haha 2

My wife went to her home in North East Thailand in her car.

Two months or so later she received  a  fine in the post of 500 Baht for speeding caught on camera..with photos of her number plate back &  front..

She did"nt pay it.    She found out that if payment is not received  they will stop her car to be taxed  when its due in December & collect the fine at that time (2019)..

Her car was   taxed 2 months ago, no mention of  any speeding fine..

On 2/5/2020 at 8:51 AM, Mattd said:

Really?

There are several functioning cameras on the motorway, closest one to Pattaya being at KM 112 area, on both sides in the central reservation, followed by at least 3 more sets between there and the service area.

They are pretty prominent!

The signs above that display your speed are not cameras, only sensors, so far!

On 34 (Bangna Trad) overhead expressway, the real tall poles are all speed cameras.

Most tolls have the solid white line cameras on them.

Sadly, I can't ride the Harley on the expressways and toll highways. 
If we are in the g/f's car we are usually going too fast to see anything except your life flashing before your eyes !

Then a couple weeks later the g/f gets a call from her mom letting her know that she got a ticket (and gets a verbal spanking for it) !