Whats the go with the signs for speed cameras?

ubonr1971

Back home they have the warning sign for a speed camera right near the actual spot where the camera is. What about in Thailand? It wouldn't surprise me if its 5km away from the sign. Do they ever put random cameras on the highway with no warning signs?

Depending on your answer to this question.... can I therefore only slow down when I see a sign for the camera? 

I like the system over here that there's only a 500 baht fine no matter how fast you were caught on camera. Back in the nanny state the fines are huge depending on the infringement. 

thanks

• Haha 2

I did a trip last year on the Harley from Pattaya to Udon Thani, over to Sakon Nakhon and back to Pattaya.

Must have past nearly 3 dozen of those signs along the way and I was sure I was going to have at least 2 dozen tickets showing up in my mailbox shortly afterwards. Not a one.
I was trying to spot the cameras, never saw any. Can't say that I've ever actually seen one anywhere I've travelled around the country (so far).

The only place I've actually seen any speed enforcement at all is on Highway 359 between Prachin Buri and Sa Kaeo. It usually consists of a cop with a speed gun hiding behind a tree zapping West-bound vehicles about 15 kms before the Highway 304 intersection.

But it's hit-or-miss if they are there. Gone through there probably 20 or so times and seen them there 3 times (and the g/f got a 500 baht fine for doing 140 and she laughed and told them their gun must be broken because she was doing 160) ! 

I got pinged on my very first drive from Yasothorn to Bangkok after buying our ute they were out in the middle of nowhere with their new hair drier with no warning sign and have been pinged a couple of times since usually on the big no.2 highway.I sometimes see those radars that show your speed (no cops around) in a small village in the middle of nowhere.I'm slowly starting to reduce my urgency to arrive at my destination as quickly as possible so they do have an effect on me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

The good news is that once you know where they are, then you only have to slow down in that area.

And the bad news is that there are police at the side of the road with hand held cameras. We were stopped near Laem Sing beach just a couple of weeks ago.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

And the bad news is that there are police at the side of the road with hand held cameras. We were stopped near Laem Sing beach just a couple of weeks ago.

I've seen some cardboard police with cameras set out on the road too, like those cardboard cars they use too.

4 minutes ago, rwill said:

I've seen some cardboard police with cameras set out on the road too, like those cardboard cars they use too.

The technology is quite amazing, they can lean in the window, show you pictures of your vehicle and write down the details.

Cardboard or not, you still get the fine through the post.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Can't say that I've ever actually seen one anywhere I've travelled around the country (so far).

Really?

There are several functioning cameras on the motorway, closest one to Pattaya being at KM 112 area, on both sides in the central reservation, followed by at least 3 more sets between there and the service area.

They are pretty prominent!

The signs above that display your speed are not cameras, only sensors, so far!

On 34 (Bangna Trad) overhead expressway, the real tall poles are all speed cameras.

Most tolls have the solid white line cameras on them.

Edited by Mattd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rwill said:

In my experience there are never signs close to where the cameras are located.

Drive through Khon Kaen if you go over 80 you will get a ticket, signs and cameras all the way through along highway 2.

23 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Depending on your answer to this question.... can I therefore only slow down when I see a sign for the camera?

I can understand that you are a really pleasant person that cares alot for your fellow human beings, as well as you always tries to follow the rules. Especially when it comes to speed regulation on the roads.

You do know that some people would think that only a retard can write a post like yours.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

More than 10 years of driving and biking on Thai roads and so far, no tickets through the post yet, touch wood. I never observe the speed limits, I drive as fast as I deem safe and as slow as required when in built up or hazardous areas. 
Was stopped once by a traffic cop, doing 60 mph in a 50 mph zone, on the A40 heading towards South Bucks. Was let off with a warning by the professional yet friendly cop who even offered assistance to rejoin the dual carriageway. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

I can understand that you are a really pleasant person that cares alot for your fellow human beings, as well as you always tries to follow the rules. Especially when it comes to speed regulation on the roads.

You do know that some people would think that only a retard can write a post like yours.

You sound upset. Why don't you go and cry on your pillow tonight

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

You sound upset. Why don't you go and cry on your pillow tonight

Yes, and you continue to be an irresponsible little child and endanger your fellow human beings in traffic.

I do not need any crying on my pillow. What I need is to have irresponsible people like that in front of me. They really do not handle information very well, so they definitely need some other kind of instructive way to finally understand.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

More than 10 years of driving and biking on Thai roads and so far, no tickets through the post yet, touch wood. I never observe the speed limits, I drive as fast as I deem safe and as slow as required when in built up or hazardous areas. 
Was stopped once by a traffic cop, doing 60 mph in a 50 mph zone, on the A40 heading towards South Bucks. Was let off with a warning by the professional yet friendly cop who even offered assistance to rejoin the dual carriageway. 

mph? so you are always too fast..