Coronavirus: Pattaya's speed boat operators facing bad times

webfact

10 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

Hard to fathom why some of the locals may not be too enamoured of western tourists. 

Sadly the demographic on thai visa while limited to a number of disgruntled geriatrics mourning their privleged way of life is quite visible and does none of us any favours with their incessant negativity.

I have no issue with constructive criticism, but his thread and many like it ate not critical they are downright abusive if not outright bigotry.

To take such joy in a complete loss of income by an entire group of people and their families - no matter how distateful you find the service they provide is just plain petty.

Why not outright wish their familes and children starve for your personal entertainment.

Perhaps you dont like the speedboats, but who ultimately is at fault for letting the service they provide become unregulated. Lets shoot the baht bus and taxi drivers next - they are all bad right?

What you seem to neglect to consider is this is just one aspect of how folks are going to struggle in pattaya over the coming months.

These boat operators are a single ink in the chain, the people they ferry stay somewhere, eat somewhere, get transporeted by someone, they buy their tat souveniers and spend their money with someone else. 

They only thing thus entire debacle is proving is how very low on the food chain the sexpat, week long millionaires and threadbare retirees truly are in the grand scheme of things.

Taking your petty pleaure in this is watching pattaya decline yet further, the <deleted>hole that it is. 

My wife is a local.... the baht is at 31.25 per USD, she doesn't give a hoot about Speed boat operators, or dead people in China.

She has become very adept at watching the USD/THB and knows the fundamentals pretty well. Were building a damn house. Good times bad times! Gotta take care of your own and not worry about what is outside of your control.

The Thai health minister, disparaged caucasion tourists at a time of crisis with tourism falling , and it went around the world. My wife was reading about that in Thai websites before I did. Interstingly the Thai comments were savaging him for his stupidity.

Having said that,  as Tourism falls, so will the strength of the baht. That will clearly hurt some Thai, and clearly benefit other Thai. A weak baht? Easy to sell rice! Difficult on speed boat operators if coupled with no tourists. I will side with the farmers.

Edited by WalkingOrders
Clarity

34 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

My wife is a local.... the baht is at 31.25 per USD, she doesn't give a hoot about Speed boat operators, or dead people in China.

She has become very adept at watching the USD/THB and knows the fundamentals pretty well. Were building a damn house. Good times bad times! Gotta take care of your own and not worry about what is outside of your control.

The Thai health minister, disparaged caucasion tourists at a time of crisis with tourism falling , and it went around the world. My wife was reading about that in Thai websites before I did. Interstingly the Thai comments were savaging him for his stupidity.

Having said that,  as Tourism falls, so will the strength of the baht. That will clearly hurt some Thai, and clearly benefit other Thai. A weak baht? Easy to sell rice! Difficult on speed boat operators if coupled with no tourists. I will side with the farmers.

I have no idea why you chose my comment for that brain dump. 

I cannot see how much of anything you said there relates to what I wrote, but hey thanks for coming out.

As if the corona virus effects are not bad enough. See Phuket news on speedboat accident involving Russians. Together with these endless major roadworks it looks unfortunately like a perfect storm is going to be blowing this area into Terra Incognita.