Housebook to get thai bank ?

I am on 1 year EDU visa and need to make a thai bank account, to recieve money from oversea. Also I need the bank account to proof funds when I make the next NON O retirement visa.

I went to my GF bank where I always get good treatment and ask for an account in my name.......... thats not so easy I find out. They want pasport - ok, visa  min 3 month - ok and a "farang" housebook ???

Then I go to the public office and ask for this housebook, there they need a lot of documents, specially 1 make trouble, they want personal information about my father and mum, I am not a young guy and my parents are dead many years ago. And they want these informations translated to thai and confirmed at a notaio and the thai embassy in my homecountry. A lot of running/flying/troubles for nothing I think.

My question is: Is this normal ? or do anybody know a thai bank where they can make an account to a farang without a housebook ?

47 minutes ago, finnsk said:

do anybody know a thai bank where they can make an account to a farang without a housebook

Best advice is to try different banks. Every bank has different requirements, and each branch can ask for different documents.

Keep going, you will get an account in the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

Best advice is to try different banks. Every bank has different requirements, and each branch can ask for different documents.

Keep going, you will get an account in the end.

Thanks blackcab, I will keep on ???? 

The bank must have an address to open an account (just like in every country.) The house book (Yellow Tanien Baan) is one way, a letter from your embassy is another as is a certificate of residence from Immigration. As to getting a Yellow Tabien Baan, part of the process is to insert your parents name in the book in the Thai language just like for Thai blue books. A translated birth certificate is commonly used. The government office was not being difficult, just asking for required data to put in the house book. 

5 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

The bank must have an address to open an account (just like in every country.) The house book (Yellow Tanien Baan) is one way, a letter from your embassy is another as is a certificate of residence from Immigration. As to getting a Yellow Tabien Baan, part of the process is to insert your parents name in the book in the Thai language just like for Thai blue books. A translated birth certificate is commonly used. The government office was not being difficult, just asking for required data to put in the house book. 

Hi Asiaexpat

Thanks that gives good meaning, I will try to see if they will accept a certificate of residense from immigration, they have the adress so many times TM30, 90 days report etc ????

I have a friend who took the work with make the yellow house book, when he should renew his driverlicense they would not accept the yellow housebook, he had to go to immigration and make the requred id documents. So I am thinking do I need the yellow housebook ? 

1 minute ago, finnsk said:

Hi Asiaexpat

Thanks that gives good meaning, I will try to see if they will accept a certificate of residense from immigration, they have the adress so many times TM30, 90 days report etc ????

I have a friend who took the work with make the yellow house book, when he should renew his driverlicense they would not accept the yellow housebook, he had to go to immigration and make the requred id documents. So I am thinking do I need the yellow housebook ? 

Some Land Transport Offices do not accept the yellow book for some strange reason but in Bangkok I have used my Yellow Tabien Baan to renew my DL twice and use it for banks and other places. Many TV posters have a different experience so it may depend on your location. It was not simple to get the yellow book when I got mine many years ago but it has been worth the effort for me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Try another bank.

We are on the country side, I think the bank do not have much farlang experience. I will try with a residence certificate from immigration, if they not can accept that, I will begin to walk around ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, allane said:

If you give your location, someone with knowledge of banks in that area may be able to help you.

Hi Allane and thanks

I stay in the country side of Lamphun, often go to the city center of Lamphun.