ATTN: Benzine users

chingmai331

3 hours ago, johng said:

I've been running my 2 smoke on "gasohol" since 2012   crankcase seals seem ok

And millions of cars here running on E10 since a more than a decade.

My car on E20, 8 years, 120tkm.

Since about 10 years most cars are specified for E20, some for E85 ("flexfuel").

Cars/vehicles are built for the fuels specified by the manufacturers and will work!

But I am tired to repeat.

Model T might have a problem.

17 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And millions of cars here running on E10 since a more than a decade.

My car on E20, 8 years, 120tkm.

Since about 10 years most cars are specified for E20, some for E85 ("flexfuel").

Cars/vehicles are built for the fuels specified by the manufacturers and will work!

But I am tired to repeat.

Model T might have a problem.

A Honda NSR is a 2 stroke......????

On 2/9/2020 at 9:09 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

Does anyone know if they are going to stop Benzine 95 completely?

They tried some years back to stop selling "Benzine" the HiSo boys in Bangkok with their high end cars were not amused - so doubt it very much!

On 2/7/2020 at 5:22 PM, canthai55 said:

My HD sat for almost 7 years - tank full of 95 Gasahol.

My cars and bikes here sit for 6 months - tank full of 95 Gasahol

The key word there is "Full" leave them half full (or empty!) and you will have problems, learnt that the hard way!

On 2/14/2020 at 1:59 PM, toolpush said:

Crankcase seals? The alcohol/benzine is burnt in the combustion chamber. How would that affect crankcase seals?

As part of the induction process in a two stroke motor the fuel mixture is drawn from the carburettor into the crankcase (by virtue of the rising piston?) and then is pumped from there through the transfer ports into the cylinder above the piston ready for the compression stroke. So the fuel/oil mixture is in constant contact with the crankcase. My first bike, way back in the 60s, was a two stroke with worn seals and the primary chaincase used to fill with oil over time and mess with the clutch!

On 2/11/2020 at 9:46 PM, sniggie said:

For us two-stroke fans the reduction in the number of PTT sites supplying pure benzene is concerning. Alcohol is supposed to wreak havoc with the crankcase seals. The nearest places where I can buy a can full are now some 60ks away in the larger cities. Let's hope that it doesn't vanish completely.     

I have a 2 stroke Yamaha outboard and also faced that dilemma several years ago when benzene got harder to get hold of around Bangkok. I read lot's of conflicting advice from around the world about gasohol in 2 stroke outboards. In the end I decided to avoid the hassle and just go with gasohol.

So several years (would guess about 5) later and there have been no issues whatsoever.

Edited by thedemon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news (update).

From years of observation I stated that "major" PTT stations still have benzene (petrol).

A mate told me that he got it last week in our area.

Today I did a 200km return trip to Khon Kaen (for an unrelated reason with newer E20 car).

And all the major stations do not have it anymore.

Only one PTT station where I usually pass by had it (I drove in to doublecheck).

So prepare for problems finding benzene depending on your area.

Anyone interested in a 15 year old Vios, 85 tkm, first hand :biggrin: