Windows 10 Performance is Very Poor

Mario666

As mentioned, the old rusty spinning disk from yesteryears is holding back your computer the most.

If you're using cleaning software, if something is "sneaking in" all the time then it's too late.

Taking the above two points into account, as well as the 8GB existing RAM (which is the lower bound for "good enough") I'd suggest two action points:

1. Install an SSD. They are not so expensive anymore and are THE night-and-day change in terms of hardware advancement in the past decade. No exageration. I'd recommend a Samsung 860 Evo.

2. Install a fresh Windows 10 on your new SSD and boot from that. Use your old HDD to store bigger files and backups. Don't boot from that.

And from there on try to keep your Windows clean by not installing unneeded stuff. Nearly everything can be done with Windows provided tools plus whatever essential apps you need on a daily basis. But no cleaners, boosters or whatever.

• Like 1

Dont understand why some of you guys dislike AVG. 

I have used it for years with no problems. Currently have it running on 3 laptops, 1 desktop and my mobile phone.

I also use AVG PC tune up. I find it is excellent. It also allows you to define which programs run on start up.

7 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

The OP wanted to have advice how he could have his PC faster. Of course would an SSD drive and a new installation on an SSD drive make this laptop very fast.

I've upgraded and fixed enough PC's and laptops now to be able to differentiate between a good and bad program, what's useful and what's more a joke.

Why would I waste so much time and post something that I'm not aware of?

With deleting some restore points, I didn't mean all of them. Some machines have all the junk from earlier installations and getting rid of them can only make it faster.

Creating one restore point before and one after running System Mechanic should be enough.

I could free 10 GB on my main PC deleting all the old ( Windows) system files. Have a great day. 

You could have stopped after the first sentence. The OP simply needs an SSD fitted to his laptop.

He doesn't need System Mechanic, ever.

He can tweak and improve performance by getting rid of unnecessary bloat. But the one constant will remain, the doggedly slow 5400 RPM HDD. It's 50 year old technology in a 21st century laptop and it just blocks the performance of every single other component.

This is what Mario needs to understand. He certainly should not be encouraged to install more bloat. Those were solutions from twenty years ago.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

And from there on try to keep your Windows clean by not installing unneeded stuff. Nearly everything can be done with Windows provided tools plus whatever essential apps you need on a daily basis. But no cleaners, boosters or whatever.

...plus use portable tools if available (there are many now)

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

Dont understand why some of you guys dislike AVG. 

I have used it for years with no problems. Currently have it running on 3 laptops, 1 desktop and my mobile phone.

I also use AVG PC tune up. I find it is excellent. It also allows you to define which programs run on start up.

You can do all of that without installing AVG and it's accompanying bloatware.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

How do you know if that's the problem?

If there's an HDD used as the system drive then the system will be slow. No way around that. HDDs access latency is in the order of 10 milliseconds. Every single access takes so long and there will be thousands and thousands of disk accesses. There's just no way around it being slow. SSDs have latencies in the dozens of microseconds. That's one or two orders of magnitude difference.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

haha you are obviously not a tech guy ... otherwhise you'd know they are mutually exclusive ...

As for your English lesson ... thanks but i'm a native speaker with two English A-levels ... and yes of course it's always possible to mangle and abbreviate the language ... and in some cases desirable ... if sending an SMS or Twitter where space/time at a premium ... but in a forum like this? Maybe not.

But again, you miss the point ... simply writing 'Get rid' or "get rid of it" or ''i would urge you tob uninstal it at your earlist convenience" ... it doesn't matter what the words are ... you need to provide at least the minimum justification for your dodgy advice. Dodgy in my opinion of course.

They must have really lowered standards for 'A' levels. ????

Pray tell me, which advice do you consider "dodgy"? 

I have justified all of the advice given. So with which advice do you disagree?

It's is one thing to admit to "bateing"(sic), but you need to do it in such a way that does not derail the thread.

So if you think any advice that I have given is bad, please point it out for all.

2 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

Geeze... I only asked a simple question and this has turned into a "Bar Room Brawl".

Thank you all again  so much for your replies!

Please get on guys....There are bigger problems in the World!

I will try System Mechanic and if that doesn't help I will install SSD if it is possible?

I think Eindhoven maybe has a toothache...or something?

:cheesy::thumbsup:

Eindhoven is right that an SDD will make your PC much faster. But if you delete your old system files and unnecessary files ( and there'll be a lot of GB) and only use start up programs that you really need, your machine will be much faster.

Eindhoven is right about the speed of a hard drive that doesn't have moving parts, but he doesn't appreciate any tips that go another way.

I've got a 10 year old Dell notebook that still has an ordinary drive and runs fast. I'll replace the HD with a SSD, should it fail one day.

OP, once you've done all tasks, please report back. 

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Do any new computers come with a SSD installed or is it something you can only add? Not a techie so be tolerant.

A lot come with SSDs installed now ... I reckon the only ones that don't is because they are trying to get rid of old stock

EDIT: you should look out for the M2 SSDs ...as previously mentioned the samsung EVOs ... I have 2 970s but I do need performance so they maybe overkill for most. 8 series will be fine 

Edited by CraigInBangkok

Just now, Isaanbiker said:

Eindhoven is right that an SDD will make your PC much faster. But if you delete your old system files and unnecessary files ( and there'll be a lot of GB) and only use start up programs that you really need, your machine will be much faster.

Eindhoven is right about the speed of a hard drive that doesn't have moving parts, but he doesn't appreciate any tips that go another way.

I've got a 10 year old Dell notebook that still has an ordinary drive and runs fast. I'll replace the HD with a SSD, should it fail one day.

OP, once you've done all tasks, please report back. 

You are wrong, I do agree that cleaning up and de-bloating will help. But I do not agree with installing yet another program, in this case System Mechanic, in order to do so.

It is patently ridiculous, that a device that can likely accept NVMe SSD with vastly improved IOPS, read and write speed etc, comes fitted with a 5400 RPM HDD.

Did they have some twenty year old stock of which to get rid? There is really no good reason for it at all, other than marketing the laptop as having a large amount of storage.

It's a travesty.

So rather than wasting time and resources making minor tweaks to improve performance just a little, do the job properly. Fitting a NVMe SSD module and enjoying the performance as it should have been in the first place.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Do any new computers come with a SSD installed or is it something you can only add? Not a techie so be tolerant.

It's not a stupid question. A lot of manufacturers are putting out laptops with half decent CPU(processors) and ample RAM(memory), but then seek to cut costs in other ways. Low resolution or just low quality screens and old. cheap and nasty slow mechanical hard drives(storage).

Often, as we know, novices get caught out by this.

With the old and slow storage, it is usually easy to remedy by fitting a Solid State Drive yourself.

To save money, help is offered here to do so. But many chose to not take the advice for one reason or another.

• Like 1

The OP only recently migrated to W10 after a very short W7 transition from what must be decades of XP.

XP initiated a whole industry of must-have, add-on registry cleaners, security suites, system mechanics, driver updaters and other self-professed but largely unsubstantiated optimizing programs. The general tilt of the marketing was your machine was going to be better and faster for forking out the standard $24.99 version with all the bells and whistles. Thus the myth of installing more programs somehow made a PC faster was born.

If speed is an issue with the OP's clean install W10 (if indeed it was a clean install), then start with the SSD upgrade as already suggested by many. If there are any of those legacy crutches to PC efficiency such as CCleaner, AVG and anything that claims to be a sort of computer swiss army knife because it can check half a dozen things, three of which you never heard of before, installed on the PC, then uninstall them. They are just what I described them to be earlier, a crutch to legacy o/s systems. W10 does not need them regardless of how many times an annoying web browser pop-up tells you that you can't live without it.

• Like 1

I would reinstall the OS.

If you don't want to do that, install and run the following in this order.

*Check to see windows updates are deleted

Bleach Bit

House call Trend Micro online

Kaspersky free AV

Kaspersky tdsskiller

Spybot Search Destroy

Eusing Registry Cleaner

Glary Utilities one click

Malwarebytes

Malwarebytes JRT

Superanti Spyware

Adw Cleaner

Some swear by Hitman Pro

That will clean out the <deleted> but if you have a rootkit, you have to reinstall.

Snapfiles.com fast DL no spyware

CCleaner and AVG useless imo. Avast is bloatware now.

Edited by Number 6

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I would reinstall the OS.

If you don't want to do that, install and run the following in this order.

*Check to see windows updates are deleted

Bleach Bit

House call Trend Micro online

Kaspersky free AV

Kaspersky tdsskiller

Spybot Search Destroy

Eusing Registry Cleaner

Glary Utilities one click

Malwarebytes

Malwarebytes JRT

Superanti Spyware

Adw Cleaner

Some swear by Hitman Pro

That will clean out the <deleted> but if you have a rootkit, you have to reinstall.

Snapfiles.com fast DL no spyware

CCleaner and AVG useless imo. Avast is bloatware now.

I think it would be easier to fit an SSD and run a clean install to it, than to run that dizzying array of programs.

CCleaner isn't useless.

8 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I think it would be easier to fit an SSD and run a clean install to it, than to run that dizzying array of programs.

CCleaner isn't useless.

Yes, it is. It's just a decrapifier and not very good any more. It doesn't clean malware or virus.

I run these *dizzying array* of programs a few times a month. Takes about two hours minus house call, maybe less. Each free program has its strengths. Bleachbit is just a decrapifer much like CC but better imo.

Another hot tip: DL Revo and uninstall all programs you do not actively use.

If the copy of windows was purchased as Thai "installer disk" with multiple programs it's hopeless. Your system compromised from day 1.

Edited by Number 6

1 minute ago, Eindhoven said:

CCleaner isn't useless.

Thanks again guys... I never thought of installing as SSD and don't know if it is possible on this laptop....I am from a Software background and was looking for a software solution.

Installing an SSD may well do the trick, but it is sad that you need to add new hardware simply because Windows 10 is such <deleted>!

Think I'll go and celebrate with a Corona or two!

Have a great ONE! :cheesy::thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Mario666 said:

I know how to go to "Start Up" in Task Manager and CCleaner, but they do not offer the option to stop all the CR*AP I am talking about....

Many things that traditionally started via a shortcut in the startup folder are now run via a service. Go to compmgmt.msc and then to services and disable the service you don't want running.

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

If you can open your laptop you can change the disk easily.

Cheers ????

Thanks my Friend! :thumbsup:

I will let someone else do that for me.

Like I said I am a software guy...Not Hardware....Heard about people getting electrocuted by mucking about with laptops if they don't know what they are doing? LOL

Edited by Mario666