Windows 10 Performance is Very Poor

Mario666

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

I 'discovered' CCleaner several years back and by rote clicked for the updates when it prompted... including the one-time update that had a Trojan or something in it. I recall using it maybe half-a-dozen times to purge the clutter but TBH, I never had such a clutter that I needed to purge regularly anyway. Emptying the Recycle Bin and deleting caches was only a few clicks if I chose to DIY. I also never had any issues that suggested that a quick CCleaner was needed. Maybe it's because my browser habits don't fill up caches with megatons of bloat or download and install loads of stuff that ultimately wasn't needed and thus cluttered up the machine. Not installing unwanted stuff has the big bonus of not having to uninstall unwanted stuff. A lot of programs or apps have less than perfect uninstallers and leave tons of driftwood on your beach. CCleaner will assuredly get rid of the bulk of it but in the instance of a botched Firefox update for example, the only proper uninstaller was found on mozilla's own help forum and involved getting the wellies on, rolling up the sleeves and eviscerating bits of Registry. That's not for the faint of heart they advise but I have been a frequent Registry tweaker since back in Win2000 days when it was sometimes the only way to get something airborne.

So in hindsight I should probably have qualified my comment to say that CCleaner is virtually useless to me. If someone has sloppy browsing and bad housekeeping habits in the first place and tends to let junk build up in the driveway as well as in the corners, then knock yourself out. Just remember that free stuff is usually only as good as they tell you it is and maybe not as gee-whiz as you think it is.

Sorry, but that just seems and bit of a ramble and then some backpedalling, from the original Troll-like comment.

I use CCleaner for myself, to clean up after every browsing session. I often use up to four Browsers, so it's convenient to have a one-click solution to take care of that.

I have a relatively small SDD on the machine, so like to keep things ship shape and Bristol fashion.

I also used it when helping novices to clean up their computers(never utilising the Registry Cleaner), as it provides a one stop shop to basic info about their PC and some tools that were in one place.

They could send me a report of the Start-up items and programs on their PC using CCleaner and I could guide them from there.

In other words did not have to send them to different places, for Start-up items and uninstalling unnecessary programs etc 

So it can be a useful tool in the right hands. The fact that it is useless for you personally, bears no importance to the substance of this thread whatsoever and was really just an unpleasant and argumentative contribution...from which you have subsequently backpedalled.

I try to help, not just join threads to make snarky comments.

Wow - long thread.

Simpler solution - don't use Windows at all, then you don't need to become so incredibly expert and find such complicated methods of making the software do anything you want without doing tons of stuff you don't want.

I tested Ubuntu out in 2007, now I'm using Mint - and I find it very hard to use a Windows machine. Mac's are good too, but I find the one button mouse thing a bit of a headache.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Geir Rasch said:

Windows 10 are in two versions: 32 bit and 64 bit. Since 32 bit only handle 4 GB ram, that version should be avoided. What version is the OP using?

If you read his posts, you'd see he has 8GB of RAM so 64bit.

22 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

Wow - long thread.

Simpler solution - don't use Windows at all, then you don't need to become so incredibly expert and find such complicated methods of making the software do anything you want without doing tons of stuff you don't want.

I tested Ubuntu out in 2007, now I'm using Mint - and I find it very hard to use a Windows machine. Mac's are good too, but I find the one button mouse thing a bit of a headache.

Ubuntu or MacOS are just as slow on an HDD as Windows. I have all of them in the household and both Ubuntu/Windows were on HDDs before I swapped those for SSDs. iMac users with HDD are also complaining how ridicolously slow it is.

• Like 1

I guess to be in software sales you don't need to understand the practical side of things?

shocking but I have seen worse in engineering and sales are important

when I first got 10 I was installing all the things I need to prevent the add ons, 1 minute of duckduck going the info. I needed and people had already solved the worse issues, not sure the advice got any better.  Also the ssd comment above is spot on and even low cost will be better

On 2/9/2020 at 1:27 PM, Mario666 said:

It was a genuine "Clean"  Windows 10 installation.

This is not a new problem.

Windows 10 has been cr*p from Day One! :thumbsup:

rubbish, I had Windows 10 from day one on currently 6 of my personal computers and never had issues.

this includes a $150 rubbish "MiGica IPC 3700" = this <deleted> from 2016 - PC that came with full Windows 10 and a whopping 2GB of DDR3, 32 GB FLASH and it's upgraded to the latest version of Windows 10 and works properly. (used as a HTPC)

what you should do, as said by others before 10 times already is backup your stuff (on Google Drive, USB sticks or whatever), then get an SSD and do a fresh install of Windows 10

get on Ninite.com and download your software from there, keep the EXE file and it can update using the same file down the road

don't use AVG, Windows Defender is enough, CCleaner is fine.

my old piece of <deleted> $300 business laptop from 2014 went from taking 6 minutes (yes) to be usable (as in: hard drive under 100% usage and being able to load a browser) to being ready in 20 seconds

Edited by kekalot

On 2/10/2020 at 12:50 PM, Eindhoven said:

Sorry, but that just seems and bit of a ramble and then some backpedalling, from the original Troll-like comment.

I use CCleaner for myself, to clean up after every browsing session. I often use up to four Browsers, so it's convenient to have a one-click solution to take care of that.

I have a relatively small SDD on the machine, so like to keep things ship shape and Bristol fashion.

I also used it when helping novices to clean up their computers(never utilising the Registry Cleaner), as it provides a one stop shop to basic info about their PC and some tools that were in one place.

They could send me a report of the Start-up items and programs on their PC using CCleaner and I could guide them from there.

In other words did not have to send them to different places, for Start-up items and uninstalling unnecessary programs etc 

So it can be a useful tool in the right hands. The fact that it is useless for you personally, bears no importance to the substance of this thread whatsoever and was really just an unpleasant and argumentative contribution...from which you have subsequently backpedalled.

I try to help, not just join threads to make snarky comments.

If you want to label me as a rambling snarky troll and call my clarification that my earlier statement was a personal opinion as a some sort of backpedal, that's fine. But then you waste our time bloviating about how you do online support for noobs as some allusion to being more savvy that most. So CCleaner works for you daily?... hoo-bloody-ray!

"All ship shape and Bristol fashion".... sheesh.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 11:13 AM, sammieuk1 said:

My guess is the OP has bought an Acer swift 3 and can confirm its as slow as a commodore 64 with an asthma attack out of the box its a 24000 baht dog???? 

Could be right I have one of these 2 weeks old.

Lots of <deleted> on it.

Configured to Black Vipers settings. 

Turned off loads in windows 10

Removed as much bloat ware as I was able. Especially Norton and Internet Explorer

Overclocked the Ryzen 5 3500U to 30W

Created a 1 Gb RAMDISK for Browser cache ,Prefetch and TEmp TMP folders.

Am proposing to increase RAM from 8Gb to 20Gb ( Remove 4Gb stick and replace with 16 Gb stick)

Enforce GPedit.msc and recover 20% bandwidth reserved for microsoft!