Windows 10 Performance is Very Poor

Mario666

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Sure you can. Open msconfig, then the task manager, then "autostart" and deactivate everything you don't want to have.

No need to use additional tools.

Mario666 said:

With XP and Windows 7 you could just go to Ms.config and choose the Startup program

The best program I've seen to show you what programs are loaded at startup is called Autoruns.  It is published by MSoft and can be found at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns.  I just checked and it does run on Win 10.  However, it is primarily targeted at the knowledgeable user.  It produces a very comprehensive list of what gets loaded at boot time.

Edited by gamb00ler
added link

22 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Yes, it is. It's just a decrapifier and not very good any more. It doesn't clean malware or virus.

I run these *dizzying array* of programs a few times a month. Takes about two hours minus house call, maybe less. Each free program has its strengths. Bleachbit is just a decrapifer much like CC but better imo.

Another hot tip: DL Revo and uninstall all programs you do not actively use.

If the copy of windows was purchased as Thai "installer disk" with multiple programs it's hopeless. Your system compromised from day 1.

Oh dear...

Why would you need CCleaner to remove malware or virus and then state that it isn't any good because of that?? Why don't you state the same about BleachBit?

Since you state that you think that BleachBit is better than CCleaner, in your opinion, perhaps you can explain your reasons for believing this.

Thanks gambooler.

I am not a novice, but certainly not a "Techie".

In the past I have shut down what I thought were unnecessary Windows processes with the result...CRASH! :cheesy:

But I am savvy enough to know how to do a System Restore or Restore from System Image if I need to, but that just takes me back to where I started.

I can throw Hardware at it as has been suggested with an SSD, but I was looking for a Quick Software Solution....Possibly even Free?

Thank you again Mr. Eindhoven for your input, but my problem is not with Junk files which I know how to remove.

My Real Question was how to stop all kinds of Unnecessary Windows programs activating at Startup?

Edited by Mario666

12 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

I can throw Hardware at it as has been suggested with an SSD, but I was looking for a Quick Software Solution....Possibly even Free?

reinstall a clean windows

EDIT: without new ssd drive thats the best you can do as far as I know

5 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

My Real Question was how to stop all kinds of Unnecessary Windows programs activating at Startup?

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/disable-startup-programs-windows-10/

Edited by CraigInBangkok

Win 10 runs fine on my Asus laptop. i7 4gb Nvidia card.

You have a ton of ram. I expect your temp and cache might be at issue. W10 does have a lot of bloat. Use Revo to uninstall programs then go into Windows and uninstall some apps. Beware, windows might reinstall.

Another issue you might be having is on a slow connection your getting updates. You can schedule this.

I would highly advise doing as I directed, you should be doing this every 10-14 days anyway.

Finally, you can run Rkill. I take no responsibility there. Next, the nuclear option - Combofix.

If you have never heard of the programs I have mentioned in all likelihood your PC is crippled with all sorts of !TIHS

That is all I have to contribute.

PS Craig has a good one as well - disable non critical startup programs. MSCONFIG at Run. But 8gb RAM. It's not RAM issue.

Edited by Number 6

57 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

Thanks gambooler.

I am not a novice, but certainly not a "Techie".

In the past I have shut down what I thought were unnecessary Windows processes with the result...CRASH! :cheesy:

But I am savvy enough to know how to do a System Restore or Restore from System Image if I need to, but that just takes me back to where I started.

I gave you a solution. Replacing your HDD is ridiculous without first sanitizing the machine.

Don't restore! You need to do an absolutely fresh install.

Quick software solutions are so 90's. Everyone was looking for a one click solution to their problems.

It seems Mario is stuck in the same time warp.

You will only be putting a sticking plaster on top of the problem. Solve it once and for all, by fitting an SSD. They cost as little as 500 baht if you are strapped for cash.

• Like 1

Just now, Number 6 said:

I gave you a solution. Replacing your HDD is ridiculous without first sanitizing the machine.

Don't restore! You need to do an absolutely fresh install.

Poor advice. 

The device was made for SSD. Putting an HDD within is like putting tractor tyres on a bicycle. Painfully slow progress.

So the first thing to do is to put the correct tyres on the machine in the first place.

Then the machine will start out and switch off in seconds. Everything will just be much snappier.

In addition to this, during the clean install, with can block/remove OS spyware and de-bloat the OS.

The laptop will fly with the Ryzen 5 3500u CPU in conjunction with an SSD. The whole thing is being held back by the horribly slow HDD and poor software distribution.

Fix the inherent hardware fault first and then look to the software, don't build the house on shifting sand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mario666 said:

Thanks again guys... I never thought of installing as SSD and don't know if it is possible on this laptop....I am from a Software background and was looking for a software solution.

100% guaranteed that it is possible. The shops that sell the SSDs will in many cases also copy the files from the old one to the new one if needed. I would advise against that though and start again with a fresh install.

The only question is if your laptop can house both disks at the same time. If not, then you can still get a case for the old disk and use it as an external one via USB.

It's understandable that you prefer a software solution because you are more familiar with that side of things. But don't let that fool you into thinking that fixing a hardware problem via software will give you good results.

No matter what software you run on that machine, it will be slow unless it's super fine tuned but for a desktop/laptop that's nearly impossible. An SSD fixes this nicely.

Every family member or friend that I changed their old spinning disks for an SSD was more than happy with the improved performance. But as mentioned I also do a clean Windows install for them at the same time.

Edited by eisfeld

4 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

But if you delete your old system files and unnecessary files ( and there'll be a lot of GB) and only use start up programs that you really need, your machine will be much faster.

Delete system restore points or old unneeded files will pretty much do nothing to speed the computer up. Those files are not being accessed so don't take up resources apart from disk space. They are "at rest".

• Like 1

The real problem with the people asking for help on this forum, it that they want to hear what they want to hear...which is not necessarily the solution.

Then you have a lot of guys who have learned as they went along, from people here and other forum, but who are still using the same methods from when they were using XP/Vista/7 in conjunction with old and slow HDD.

Still looking for one click solutions to everything. Have seen the same behaviour here for many years.

Then of course those guys are advising the ones who really want a one click solution....and so it goes on.

Old habits die hard.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mario666 said:

Thank you again Mr. Eindhoven for your input, but my problem is not with Junk files which I know how to remove.

Please give System Mechanic a try. Your machine will be fast. Here's the particular feature: 

Screenshot (603).png

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Please give System Mechanic a try. Your machine will be fast.

Your definition of fast probably differs from mine ????

Have you experience the change from HDD to SSD yourself?

Again, any system with an HDD, especially 5400RPM just can't be fast. A desktop/laptop machine runs a lot of things, things that access the disk. A latency of tens of ms will make it slow. You can reduce it by removing all kinds of stuff and make it not super slow. But it wont be fast.

40 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Your definition of fast probably differs from mine ????

Have you experience the change from HDD to SSD yourself?

Again, any system with an HDD, especially 5400RPM just can't be fast. A desktop/laptop machine runs a lot of things, things that access the disk. A latency of tens of ms will make it slow. You can reduce it by removing all kinds of stuff and make it not super slow. But it wont be fast.

I've experienced the difference from a 5400 RPM spinning device and an SSD without any moving parts, and it's, of course, the best solution.

But I'm still running ordinary drives in my two PC's and my notebook, and the Dell is already ten years old with the second drive.

The definition of fast is indeed a good one. Let's talk about a start-up time of not more than 40 seconds. 

What you consider not fast is fast enough for me, and I'd have thought most PC, or notebook users seem to be okay with such results. 

OP was asking for a software solution, and such a solution exists. 

I disagree with the free AVG, CCleaner, etc. as all these programs are free for a reason.

Have you ever tried SM before? Cleaning drive C was more getting rid of the older installations and old updates that aren't necessary.

The fantastic part is that once you've done all tasks, it will defragment, delete junk files, and other functions from alone.

Another essential part of SM is that it's got an uninstaller that deletes all files of a program, which is very useful as most programs leave a lot of unwanted junk on your machine.  

Using MS's control panel- uninstaller does not delete all parts of a program, especially not those from an unwanted one. 

I don't think that it's useful when individual members here call others wannabes just because they believe they are better.

I also understand that the OP and other users might be irritated when members believe that AVG free and Tune-up solve all issues.

The same goes for Advanced System Care and other programs, they just don't do what they promise and install other junk on our machines, often without our knowledge.

It took many years to conclude that System Mechanic is a fantastic program that's worth to give it a try.

If one of my hard drives dies, I'll replace it with an SSD, but as long as they run fast enough for me, I am okay.

I know how to clone mine, got the right programs for it, and always an excellent copy done with Macrium. 

I consider my machines fast enough to be a satisfied user of the internet and doing all the needed tasks at the same time without interruptions. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

OK, just for you, it's virtually useless.

Perhaps you can explain why it is that you think so.

I am guessing that you will not...and that you are just Trolling, as is usual.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

I've experienced the difference from a 5400 RPM spinning device and an SSD without any moving parts, and it's, of course, the best solution.

But I'm still running ordinary drives in my two PC's and my notebook, and the Dell is already ten years old with the second drive.

The definition of fast is indeed a good one. Let's talk about a start-up time of not more than 40 seconds. 

What you consider not fast is fast enough for me, and I'd have thought most PC, or notebook users seem to be okay with such results. 

OP was asking for a software solution, and such a solution exists. 

I disagree with the free AVG, CCleaner, etc. as all these programs are free for a reason.

Have you ever tried SM before? Cleaning drive C was more getting rid of the older installations and old updates that aren't necessary.

The fantastic part is that once you've done all tasks, it will defragment, delete junk files, and other functions from alone.

Another essential part of SM is that it's got an uninstaller that deletes all files of a program, which is very useful as most programs leave a lot of unwanted junk on your machine.  

Using MS's control panel- uninstaller does not delete all parts of a program, especially not those from an unwanted one. 

I don't think that it's useful when individual members here call others wannabes just because they believe they are better.

I also understand that the OP and other users might be irritated when members believe that AVG free and Tune-up solve all issues.

The same goes for Advanced System Care and other programs, they just don't do what they promise and install other junk on our machines, often without our knowledge.

It took many years to conclude that System Mechanic is a fantastic program that's worth to give it a try.

If one of my hard drives dies, I'll replace it with an SSD, but as long as they run fast enough for me, I am okay.

I know how to clone mine, got the right programs for it, and always an excellent copy done with Macrium. 

I consider my machines fast enough to be a satisfied user of the internet and doing all the needed tasks at the same time without interruptions. 

The fact that you still insist on running HDD when you have a choice, only confirms what I wrote earlier. Resistant to change...

- switch to SSD drive  (if there is an m.2 nvme slot, best to get that one filled first).  This will improve startup time to 8-13 seconds.   Programs should install/load instantly.

- consider a fresh win10 install.   I personally would only use LTSC Enterprise version, but win10 Pro should work also for the casual user.   

I like my computer functioning 100% the same each day I go to use it, with no surprises.   This would require having more direct control over windows updates, forced reboots, etc, which LTSC provides.

- avoid installing anything you don't need or actually use.  If you don't know exactly why a particular program is being used, don't install it.

- in Task Manager, go to the startup tab and disable any programs that you see don't actually NEED to be started up.

2046391218_win10startuptabtaskmanager.png.adc3434a497a961a835529cdd252ad90.png

Edited by 4evermaat

10 hours ago, Mario666 said:

Mario666, just my tuppence input to the advice you have already received:

Changeout your HDD for an SSD. Depending on what you use your laptop for would depend on what size of SSD you install (you can get a (reliable) 1TB SSD for about 4,000 baht these days if you need the space, lower physical sizes obviously cheaper)

Debloat your W10 install. Meaning get rid of all the bloatware that you will never use that comes with the operating system. Link is:

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater It is worth keeping that url and checking the page as it is updated regularly.

Disable startup items you don't need/use through Task Manager\Startup tab.

Be very selective with what AV software you use as this, through it's very operation of file checking, will slow down your performance. IMO, if you are not using the machine for business, and you are behind your router's firewall, I normally allow Windows Defender to take care of this task. (Maybe a sensitive point for some).

Make sure you have the correct drivers installed! Just because you look in Device Manager and don't see any errors doesn't mean that your drivers are up to date. Microsoft (Windows 10) will use generic drivers when they can, so not necessarily the latest drivers for your HP machine! Updated drivers may come through Updates but IMO better for you to go to HP and download the drivers from their site for your specific notebook.

Deselect Services you don't need (This has only been mentioned a couple of times throughout this whole thread). Either type services into search or access through msconfig. Attached is a guide to services that can safely be stopped showing novice, power user and normal status. Should be obvious that caution should be taken here (these are only Black Viper's recommends) but you will see a difference, believe me...................:thumbsup:

Black Vipers Windows 10 Service Configurations.xlsx

Enjoy and be safe.

18 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Poor advice. 

The device was made for SSD. Putting an HDD within is like putting tractor tyres on a bicycle. Painfully slow progress.

So the first thing to do is to put the correct tyres on the machine in the first place.

Then the machine will start out and switch off in seconds. Everything will just be much snappier.

In addition to this, during the clean install, with can block/remove OS spyware and de-bloat the OS.

The laptop will fly with the Ryzen 5 3500u CPU in conjunction with an SSD. The whole thing is being held back by the horribly slow HDD and poor software distribution.

Fix the inherent hardware fault first and then look to the software, don't build the house on shifting sand.

The one upsmanship is farcical. Yes, it will be a bit snappier with an SSD but not really. The machine has 8gb of RAM pretty much everything the guy is doing is in RAM.

He's got a bunch of malware on his computer. Your first inclination is not a free but running to some expensive hardware fix. Rather bad advice without at least trying to clean and then to reinstall.

8gb of RAM isn't holding anything back bro

You carry on as if he's booting from a 8in floppy disk

Edited by Number 6

21 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Sure you can. Open msconfig, then the task manager, then "autostart" and deactivate everything you don't want to have.

No need to use additional tools.

Or you can right click on the task bar and open the task manager then click on the startup tab.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:
20 hours ago, Mario666 said:

Can you list these 'all kinds of' programs? If you already have done this earlier can you link to that post?

Select the Start button, then select Settings > Apps > Startup.

Using task manager and msconfig is old school. CCleaner also has the startup apps section in it as well.

On 2/9/2020 at 10:11 AM, Mario666 said:

With XP and Windows 7 you could just go to Ms.config and choose the Startup programs...With Windows 10 you can't,

It was sort of replaced by Task Manager under the Startup tab.

As others have said, the single biggest thing that can done is to replace an HDD with an SSD.

I just got a new inexpensive HP and surprisingly there was very little bloatware.  I used Decrapifier and I think all I removed was Office 365, games and MacAfee.

15 hours ago, Eindhoven said:
15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

OK, just for you, it's virtually useless.

Perhaps you can explain why it is that you think so.

I am guessing that you will not...and that you are just Trolling, as is usual.

I 'discovered' CCleaner several years back and by rote clicked for the updates when it prompted... including the one-time update that had a Trojan or something in it. I recall using it maybe half-a-dozen times to purge the clutter but TBH, I never had such a clutter that I needed to purge regularly anyway. Emptying the Recycle Bin and deleting caches was only a few clicks if I chose to DIY. I also never had any issues that suggested that a quick CCleaner was needed. Maybe it's because my browser habits don't fill up caches with megatons of bloat or download and install loads of stuff that ultimately wasn't needed and thus cluttered up the machine. Not installing unwanted stuff has the big bonus of not having to uninstall unwanted stuff. A lot of programs or apps have less than perfect uninstallers and leave tons of driftwood on your beach. CCleaner will assuredly get rid of the bulk of it but in the instance of a botched Firefox update for example, the only proper uninstaller was found on mozilla's own help forum and involved getting the wellies on, rolling up the sleeves and eviscerating bits of Registry. That's not for the faint of heart they advise but I have been a frequent Registry tweaker since back in Win2000 days when it was sometimes the only way to get something airborne.

So in hindsight I should probably have qualified my comment to say that CCleaner is virtually useless to me. If someone has sloppy browsing and bad housekeeping habits in the first place and tends to let junk build up in the driveway as well as in the corners, then knock yourself out. Just remember that free stuff is usually only as good as they tell you it is and maybe not as gee-whiz as you think it is.

On 2/9/2020 at 10:52 AM, Mario666 said:

Thank you for your replies.

I am running an HP Laptop with 1Tb HD, 8Gb Ram and Rzyen  5 3500U with Radeon Graphics.

I know how to go to "Start Up" in Task Manager and CCleaner, but they do not offer the option to stop all the CR*AP I am talking about....

I agree that AVG and Malware Bytes are very Bothersome, take memory and refuse to be disabled easily.....But I am reluctant to remove them and rely on Windows Defender!

Also I primarily use Firefox, but Microsoft Edge seems to load itself without asking all the time and always 5 Concurrent  F*cking Sessions!

:thumbsup:

I have used Windows 10 since day one, and when I converted from Win7 to Win10, not one program turned up in the Startup list, except the ones I wanted to be there. If you know how to you use CCleaner, then you would know that you can disable every program in the Startup list. Just click on the  program and then chose inactive to the right. The inactive programs in the list will be grayed out. 

Windows Defender wasn't very good in the beginning,but since last year it gets top scores in every test. Never use more than one enabled anti-virus program at the same time. That will slow down your computer because those programs works in the background. 

57 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

I have read many of the remarks and would say that some of us are not tech savvy and often need advice on things that others consider to be simple. Me included. 

I think there has been lots of advice given and no one minds helping out less tech savvy people. The problem is some of the "experts" don't give out great advice and it must be really confusing for less experienced people to figure out which advice to take. My opinion is that Eindhoven gave out great advice from the start, if that is of any help to you.

• Like 1