Admission prices Ancient City

MarcelV

Sorry not a recent experience but it didn't work last time I went. That's several years ago now though because I haven't been back. Prior to that it was always possible and we used to go regularly. But I think when the younger generation took over after the old chap passed on, they turned it into much more of a commercial enterprise and that included strict pricing for foreigners. 

6 minutes ago, mngmn said:

1400% overcharging or only a mere 700% if you book online. Why would anyone in their right mind accept such an insult?

No. Wrong way to look at it. 700% undercharge for a Thai. 350 baht is very reasonable. 50 baht is rediculously cheap. Would you rather pay 2x350 baht or 350+50 baht?

If everyone had to pay 350 baht and you were going alone, would you go?

Edited by DannyCarlton

5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

No. Wrong way to look at it. 700% undercharge for a Thai. 350 baht is very reasonable. 50 baht is rediculously cheap. Would you rather pay 2x350 baht or 350+50 baht?

Once upon a time it was the same price for all. The founder of the place had a very open view of the world. Once he'd gone I think the values changed and from what I've heard of him I suspect he wouldn't approve.  I'd still say it's probably worth a look for anyone who hasn't been. But we used to go several times a year with family and friends and it was a bit of a surprise the first time I was subject to the foreign price. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

350 baht for non Thais if you book on their website, half price. Well worth the price.

I only see the 700 baht price for foreign adults listed. What website are you talking about?

Edited by MarcelV

13 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Got it!  So the foreigner price is the correct price and Thais are given a 93% discount.

The underlying question remains 'Is it worth A$35?'  I have never been there but imagine a totally 'underwhelming' experience, rip off prices for refreshments, filthy toilets with no paper or soap and the whole site overrun by barking stray dogs.  In other words a 'world class' tourist attraction that lucky Thais are able to visit for a whopping discount!