Is Route 105 from Mae Sot to Mae Sariang paved now?

Airalee

I’m currently in Tak and will be driving to Mae Sariang and am wondering if the road (Route 105) from Mae Sot to Mae Sariang has been paved.  All I can find from a google search is that it was a “work in progress” (as of 2015) and some (much) of it was still a dirt road.  As I am driving a sports car and not a 4x4, I’m hoping that the work is done, but of all the people I have asked here in Tak, nobody seems to know as they have never driven it.

Anybody know?

If not, I’ll head up 1 to 106 to 1103 to Hot and then over 108 to Mae Sariang.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide!

5 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

I drove it in 2001 & it was paved then.  A bit rough tarmac in places.  Don't remember any dirt.  Why not have a "virtual drive" on google street view?

Thanks for the reply!

I have tried the virtual drive but it’s really too long of a trip to click my way through it.  The blog I came across was a guy who was riding it on a motorbike and pictures showed that there were areas (he didn’t say where) that were really quite rough dirt roads.

I could just go for it and keep my fingers crossed but it would be quite a bummer to have to turn around and backtrack hundreds of kilometers.

Thanks again!

8 hours ago, HaleySabai said:

Rode to Mae Sot for a visa-run in Dec. and it's all paved and reasonable good condition. The road does narrow to a nervous degree for about the last 40kms outside of Mae Sariang. Drive with caution.

Thanks for the tip.  I will be sure to drive carefully although I’m a bit worried of your descriptor “nervous degree”.  Is it still at least 2 lane or is it like the road way past Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai where it narrows to about the width of 1 1/2 cars?  I really don’t want to become a statistic.

Oh ya,I forgot to mention the washout....haha

Glad to hear you made it and had a pleasant drive.

That stretch of Hwy does run through fairly rugged/untouched country, I'd like to go back some day and explore the several interesting camping / hiking options.

Happy Trails - Cheers

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 9:54 PM, HaleySabai said:

Oh ya,I forgot to mention the washout....haha

Glad to hear you made it and had a pleasant drive.

That stretch of Hwy does run through fairly rugged/untouched country, I'd like to go back some day and explore the several interesting camping / hiking options.

Happy Trails - Cheers

Well...I found out that the most dangerous part of driving the loop isn’t as much the road as it is the uneven dirt parking lots along the way.  When I got to a rest stop near Maehongson...parked...and looked back at my car...I saw that I left my drivers side side skirt at the place I stopped for coffee back near Khun Yuam.  Sure was an expensive cup of coffee.  ????

S*** happens.