Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Mortality Rate

Puccini

Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Mortality Rate

How to correctly calculate the mortality rate during an outbreak

The case fatality rate (CFR) represents the proportion of cases who eventually die from a disease.

Once an epidemic has ended, it is calculated with the formula: deaths / cases.

But while an epidemic is still ongoing, as it is the case with the current novel coronavirus outbreak, this formula is, at the very least, "naïve" and can be "misleading if, at the time of analysis, the outcome is unknown for a non negligible proportion of patients."

Read morehttps://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

• Thanks 2

According to

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/asia/china-coronavirus-contain.html

Fatality rate? It's hard to know ... probably less than 3%.

More from the same article:

Among 17,000 people who were infected in China, 82 percent had mild infections, 15 percent had severe symptoms and 3 percent were classified as critical ...

And if those 15 + 3 = 18% were mostly elderly and infirm, as reports are, then a healthy individual is likely going to recover without much fuss from a bout of coronavirus. It's no more or less frightening than the flu of which it's a new variant.

Just heard on the BBC that there are now over 1,000 deaths attributed to the Wuhan Coronavirus in China.  China has now removed several senior officials over the handling of the outbreak.  Not looking good, as they say 103 died on Monday alone in the Hubei province.  The national death toll is now 1,016 with 2,097 new cases on Monday alone.  They indicate a 3% mortality rate as of now.

Edited by ThailandRyan

20 hours ago, Why Me said:

According to

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/asia/china-coronavirus-contain.html

Fatality rate? It's hard to know ... probably less than 3%.

More from the same article:

Among 17,000 people who were infected in China, 82 percent had mild infections, 15 percent had severe symptoms and 3 percent were classified as critical ...

And if those 15 + 3 = 18% were mostly elderly and infirm, as reports are, then a healthy individual is likely going to recover without much fuss from a bout of coronavirus. It's no more or less frightening than the flu of which it's a new variant.

I feel so happy that only old people over 60 and weak people die.

Guess how old I am? 

If the virus ever seriously spreads in Thailand this forum will become very quiet. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, uhuh said:

I feel so happy that only old people over 60 and weak people die.

Guess how old I am? 

If the virus ever seriously spreads in Thailand this forum will become very quiet. 

Already the number of new infections reported per day is dropping in China so they seem to be getting it under control. And Thailand has a whopping 33 cases in a country of 60 million.

The whole thing looks like it will be over by the end of the month.

• Confused 1