Boy, 12, shoots friend dead after playing with father's rifle

webfact

30+ years ago I remember all the kids 10 years old or so in a village near Khon Kaen either had these guns or were making their own.

It was a big part of their life as they could go out rat hunting at night with them.

On 2/11/2020 at 2:30 PM, marin said:

Did that make you feel better?  Funny you think?  America has too many gun nutters fact. We rarely have kids shooting each other by accident.  Please dont make light of a tragedy..

Correct, they usually do it on purpose.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beggar said:

A very sick person that should not have been born. Hope that they lock him away for the rest of his useless life. Sadly the community has to pay for him until he is dead or released. If someone shoots 6 times there is no excuse. If he shoots 1 time only there is no excuse. And also the people allowing this cretin to use the gun should be punished to the full extent. 

If it was a muzzle loader he would only have one shot before reloading. I suspect that he put a load of bird/man gauge which would account for the 6 wounds.

From what I have read and remembered I think that the ammunition comes in a paper cartridge which is torn open and poured down the muzzle, a piece of wadding is rammed in and the cartridge load of what ever is loaded and rammed down with a piece of wadding to keep it in place.

Fine gunpowder is placed in the firing pan and when the trigger is pulled, the flint makes a spark which in turn fires the black powder in the muzzle and fires the gun.

Again from what I have read it used to take a trained soldier over a minute to reload after firing one round, so IMHO all 6 slugs (or whatever the load was) were fired at one time.

To shoot his friend 6 times would have taken about 10 minutes.

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes ... 6 times .... the kid was mental & he didn't care about the blood or killing or anything ... 

It is possible that the gun discharged accidentally only ones, and that the victim was struck six times by a fragmented load. It is also possible that  the kid is not mental, and is  just as devastated by the killing of his friend by his own hands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

It is possible that the gun discharged accidentally only ones, and that the victim was struck six times by a fragmented load. It is also possible that  the kid is not mental, and is  just as devastated by the killing of his friend by his own hands.

hmmmm .... your theory is very exaggerated to say the least .... but I take your point. 

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

hmmmm .... your theory is very exaggerated to say the least .... but I take your point. 

I know little about this situation and the weapon used,but I do know something from my professional career about materials and how they behave.  

Not as exaggerated as one might think. Judging by the quality of the weapon I am willing to speculate that the shot used to load the weapon would be of equal quality. So given this speculation, it will also not be unreasonable to speculate the the shot shattered from the conclusion of the explosion and traveled to the victims in several pieces.  

I am willing to bet that that's what happen, Anyone who knows these weapons also knows how difficult they are to reload, and how long it take to do so, So IMO a difficult proposition that the boy reloaded six times. and the police is considering it an accident. 

• Like 2