Migrants raped and trafficked as U.S. and Mexico tighten borders, charity says

webfact

23 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You did say:

Hogwash, as numerous people climbing out of shipping containers and declaring their intent to seek asylum have demonstrated.

Yes, at that point they become asylum seekers. That's my whole point. You should try read my posts, for a change, before firing up your confrontational argument machine.

The difference between US and the UK, from a legal perspective (as I have tried to point out), is that in the US a person is by definition NOT an illegal immigrant if they cross the border with the intention (there's a grey area right there...) to seek asylum. In the UK THEY ARE illegal until they seek asylum. In your example above they did exactly that.

Your failure to recognise the difference between entering a country illegally in combination with intention to seek asylum and to seek asylum is rather humorous. But trust me, those are two different things.

There's an obvious reason why the status is important (I'm sure you have absolutely no clue what that might be), but let's leave it there.

• Like 1

Just now, kensawadee said:

Smile........... MY cap lock gets attention to important issues.

I hope the people at the border can work this outwithout YOU...

BUT thanks for all your 'I think this' and all your 'I think that'. And when YOU KNOW something please advise the source. 

My source is that I live among these people and am friends with many (Neighbors, Rent houses from me, etc) Please display your credentials when claiming to 'know' something, just in case other posters have better knowledge of the subject of immigrants at the USA borders.

Empathy for those fleeing violence, terror and poverty is why I post as I do. 

I wish them every success in making a better life for themselves. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhonThong said:

Get over yourself. If you are so righteous, why don't you make arrangements to have them all picked up and taken to a place where you and your kind will give them all they want. Just don't expect anything in return. Be ready to spend your money on their education, healthcare. Don't forget the legal bills. Also, their housing, clothing and anything else they desire. Just don't think you have the right to have other pay for it. 

You are probably of the mind that there is such a thing as free healthcare too!

Dont know what you are on about. Those illegals as some refer to them are a nett benefit to the usa.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, PhonThong said:

Get over yourself. If you are so righteous, why don't you make arrangements to have them all picked up and taken to a place where you and your kind will give them all they want. Just don't expect anything in return. Be ready to spend your money on their education, healthcare. Don't forget the legal bills. Also, their housing, clothing and anything else they desire. Just don't think you have the right to have other pay for it. 

There should be and I would have no problem with any government I was governed by spending money on those fleeing violence and poverty. 

Just now, Forethat said:

You should approach the United Nations and voice your concerns then. But until they've reconsidered their current agreement, poverty is not a valid reason for asylum.

And, to be frank, what you agree with or not is irrelevant.

https://www.unhcr.org/uk/3b66c2aa10

Just as what you think bears no weight at all and certainly has no relevance as far as I am concerned.

As such it has no impact whatsoever upon my thinking.

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Just as what you think bears no weight at all and certainly has no relevance as far as I am concerned.

As such it has no impact whatsoever upon my thinking.

Well, how fitting then that I haven't declared my viewpoint.

What I DID declare was the legal positioning, as dictated by the United Nations (and in case you wonder, they are the authority in this case).

Not me. Not you. The United Nations. UN.

You just have to suck it up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lungbing said:

How many safe countries have they passed through to get to the USA?

And that matters how? Are the safe countries signarories to the UN for refugees and asylum seekers?

Do they have to see asylum in the first country?

Perhaps you could be more specific to your issue and cite laws why its relevant.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, PhonThong said:

Sir I would like some proof to what you are stating it runs contrary to my life experience of knowledge with the Latinos I’ve found them to be hard working family types talented and generous were do you get your experience or are you just trolling?

• Haha 1

'Somebody is making money off those ladders': Smugglers use 'camouflage' ladders to cross border wall

Smugglers in Juárez have engineered camouflage hook-and-ladders made of rebar that blend in so well with the border wall that it can be hard to detect, according to U.S. Border Patrol. The ladders are the same rust brown color as the mesh panels or steel beams of the fence.

El Paso's urban stretch of border is littered with the rusted rebar ladders at the base on both sides — ladders lying in wait on the Mexican side, ladders pulled down by border agents or abandoned by smugglers on the U.S. side.

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/2020/02/14/smugglers-in-mexico-use-camouflage-ladder-to-cross-border-wall/4760798002/

The artilce goes on to say that apprehensions of illegal border crossers in this area have nearly doubled over the past year.