The satang rip off.

54 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Life can't be bad if you are ranting about satang!

Well, i suppose it runs a second best to our long gone penny farthing and as i vaguely remember as far back as the 50s it was adorned with our rarest tiny bird now , the wren . thus ok ! .... pot kettle black ????

Edited by Liverpudlian
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Life can't be bad if you are ranting about satang!

It is not only here. In the Euro EU they are discussing to remove the Cent. But there is a big problem for the retailers. Prices like 99.99 wouldn't be possible anymore. And I am not kidding now. They block it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beggar said:

It is not only here. In the Euro EU they are discussing to remove the Cent. But there is a big problem for the retailers. Prices like 99.99 wouldn't be possible anymore. And I am not kidding now. They block it. 

Know you know my angle on this topic .

I used to bung em in a jar with other shrapnel, then when the jar got full, whichever lady was unfortunate to be with me at that given moment would scoop them off to the nearest temple, which would get me in the good (ish) books for an hour or two...

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, IvorLott said:

I used to bung em in a jar with other shrapnel, then when the jar got full, whichever lady was unfortunate to be with me at that given moment would scoop them off to the nearest temple, which would get me in the good (ish) books for an hour or two...

You cheap charlie you !

14 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I bag coins and give them to 7/11 who give me notes without bothering to count them. 

This is done with my daughters. It teachers them the value of something small that can have more value when it grows. 

My grown up daughter works for Barclays in London and both my young children now will appreciate what she learned when she was small. 

Rooster

Interesting that 7 Eleven don't bother to count them?

Probably once a year (eeh, we're poor) I take all the satangs to Big C. They'll change them too, except I have to wait while they count them.

Oddly enough, I put them in Barclays coin bags someone bought over here for me.

The banks here don't seem to have coin weighing scales that will tell you how much value of the same coin is on the scale. They want to sellotape them up in five/ten/whatever Baht amounts.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Interesting that 7 Eleven don't bother to count them?

Probably once a year (eeh, we're poor) I take all the satangs to Big C. They'll change them too, except I have to wait while they count them.

Oddly enough, I put them in Barclays coin bags someone bought over here for me.

The banks here don't seem to have coin weighing scales that will tell you how much value of the same coin is on the scale. They want to sellotape them up in five/ten/whatever Baht amounts.

Pray tell me that this is not a total rip off , yes or no ?

32 minutes ago, Liverpudlian said:

Pray tell me that this is not a total rip off , yes or no ?

Err, what rip off are you asking about?

I give Big C satangs, they give me notes to the same value. How can this be a rip off?

Regarding the banks taping up coins, yes, I think they do charge for changing coins.

4 hours ago, Beggar said:

Canada has been without a penny for 7 years and they still use .99 .97 .98 as most people don't pay by cash or if they do it is rounded up or down, depending on total.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

We empty our pockets and purses and toss them in an old mug on my desk. Come water delivery day, 19 liters at 10 baht each, we hand them all over in payment. Another (none) problem solved. We tend not to get many small coins nowadays with the increasing use of cards to make payments.

4 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

You cheap charlie you !

No no. It's the GF's or temporary companions that are the cheap Charlies. My GF does exactly the same thing when there are enough in the jar. Off to the temple to make merit with a modest donation.

We also use them as chips when we play pa som sip.