The satang rip off.

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

The beggars probably think thats an insult.....555.

Well thats fine, they can scatter them on the side of the road then. Or say no if its such an insult. But since I usually pick oestensibly the worst washed up relics of Third World Humanity, I never catch a refusal if I have a few coins. I cant save the world, but I can buy some old dude a bananna.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My apologies, I thought you might have given in to your anarchic instincts.

I never carry coins in my pockets. That way, I can make my trousers last 20 years. They come back into fashion.

Lucky you. My ass migrated to my belly 15 years ago so nothing fits.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VYCM said:

I reckon they should just remove from circulation.

Australia is now removing all silver coins, no more 5, 10, 20, 50 cent coins, smallest coin is a dollar

When removing small coins,the prices goes up. That's a fact. Even if we don't care that much if the price for 2 liter of milk goes up 25 satang. It happens in every country where they remove their smallest coins. 

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Lucky you. My ass migrated to my belly 15 years ago so nothing fits.

I have told you repeatedly golf is good exercise.

Had a minor tragedy about two weeks ago. I bought a trouser belt in Sears ( Dallas, Texas ) during my first visit to America in 1983. It broke. Although I have to admit I got my money's worth, 36 years of service.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2020 at 10:41 AM, PatOngo said:

I leave them on the counter......tip!

Don't give bad ideas to our new members.
If something is never done, it's not good to leave satang and baht coins as a tip;
we leave a 20 baht note but never 4 coins of 5 baht ..

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

19 liters at 10 baht each,

expensive in your town ..

5 baht for 19 liters in our village , but we must go to the fountain with the plastik tanks 

( ten baht if you request delivery by pickup )

and why 19 liters and not 20 liters?
simply because these cans have a capacity in American gallons: 5 gallons = 19 liters

but to return to the existential subject :giggle: that concerns us, I do like you do and quite a few others; these coins are kept in small boxes and from time to time my wife asks me a lot to make presents during parties at Wat; she puts them one by one in beautiful little packages ...
It's like the candies that are thrown at the end of a cremation ...

Edited by Assurancetourix

I have been in several 7/11s and they have refused to take satangs as part of payment.....

I was under the impression that all retailers had to accept legal tender, and while they are not forced to accept money in excess of the total, they are required by law to accept all legal tender. So I cannot present a 1000 baht note to settle a 980 baht bin...they are not obliged to give change, although most do. But as I understand the law.....if they presented me with a 980 baht bin, I should be able to pay them in satangs. 

In the UK a man who was outraged at having to pay taxes paid a 7000 pound tax bill in pennies and coppers. The HMRC refused to accept it as payment and it went to court, but the judge ruled it was not a 'reasonable form of payment' and therefore ruled for the HMRC. I imagine that this set precedent which other judges will have to follow, thereby negating the whole concept of legal tender.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Pravda said:

Canada has been without a penny for 7 years and they still use .99 .97 .98 as most people don't pay by cash or if they do it is rounded up or down, depending on total.

Same in Oz. No cents. Bill is rounded up or down. Bloody milk here (Dutch) is B**.50 ! So I have to give them the 50c, or they have to give in change. Why not just make the milk price up by 50c?

Whenever I get a bill of, say, THB 301.25, then I have the choice:
1) exact change, if on hand

2) pay 4 x THB 100 and get 4 X THB 20 plus 18.75 in coins
3) pay 1 x THB 500 or THB 1'000/banknote and THB 2/coin 
4) credit card

Interesting enough 7/11, Foodland and some other supermarkets kiss you for bringing coins back; just in case your table bends due to full jars or cans filled with coins 

• Thanks 1

I tape them up into B10 stacks, my local 7/11 has no issue with them if I only take in B20 or 30 at a time. 

Handy for a treat as I don't normally eat ice cream- B 30 gets a couple of the mint chocolate ones- bonus. Nothing wrong with 'free' ice cream.

The shrapnel jar (personally I use a different term but we don't want to upset the Red Sea Pedestrians these days ????)  gets emptied once a year and counted, My local bank takes the B1 and 2s but credits the money to my account instead of handing over cash. 

Strangely the use of the term 'shrapnel' is appropriate- my 'jar' is actually a 105mm artillery shell turned into a moneybox. Before anyone goes mental I do have the correct paperwork to possess it. The 4.5 inch Naval shell is for bigger stuff.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Same in Oz. No cents. Bill is rounded up or down. Bloody milk here (Dutch) is B**.50 ! So I have to give them the 50c, or they have to give in change. Why not just make the milk price up by 50c?

Why increase the price of milk just because you don't want small change back? When removing small coins, prices goes up. That's a fact. I get a 25 satang coin back every time I buy 2 liter milk at 7/11. Does it make me upset? No. Who cares? They're not doing anything wrong.  

Instead,ask yourself this: How come everything at a food market, it doesn't matter what you buy, let's say veggies, cost for example 25 baht or 45 baht or 60 baht when the prices are per kg. That's totally impossible. Now we're talking about a ripoff and not only a few satang. 

58 minutes ago, elgenon said:

I get them in change at Foodland. I tried paying with them there and they wouldn't take them. Funny. No big deal though.

But you can see my logic, estimated 60.000000 population then you get the bigger picture when there traded over the counters every single day.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:41 PM, Pravda said:

Canada has been without a penny for 7 years and they still use .99 .97 .98 as most people don't pay by cash or if they do it is rounded up or down, depending on total.

Each item may end in .98 or .99 but it is only the final total that has to be rounded. A very, very minor First World Problem.

On 2/13/2020 at 7:44 PM, Sydebolle said:

Whenever I get a bill of, say, THB 301.25, then I have the choice:
1) exact change, if on hand

2) pay 4 x THB 100 and get 4 X THB 20 plus 18.75 in coins
3) pay 1 x THB 500 or THB 1'000/banknote and THB 2/coin 
4) credit card

Interesting enough 7/11, Foodland and some other supermarkets kiss you for bringing coins back; just in case your table bends due to full jars or cans filled with coins 

If you have the option 1 2 3 4 why not mix option 2 and option 3.

5) pay 3x THB 100 and THB 2/coin.

Walk out with two or three extra little coins, adds the changes on option 1) next time.

Edited by Metropolitian