Thai Customs Registration as an importer.

ThailandRyan

Idiocy is all I can think of.  I have sent and received packages from the USA for many years while living here in Thailand.  

Yesterday I received an email from UPS in Samutprakan advising me I had to go to the Thai Customs office and register for a package they are now in possession of.  The first question was why?, and the second question was, are you serious, the package contains just a copy of my birth certificate mailed by my daughter through UPS.  Of I went with my passport, a copy of my passport, and a copy of what UPS sent me showing the item.  I arrived at the Customs office in Klong Toei around 9 am. Stood in line to get my que ticket, took 30 minutes as there were a few people ahead, and was issued #65.  Lunch time came and I was still seated as they had only gotten to #53.  As I sit here at lunch time, I am left to wonder, and I guess, am I to be registered and classified as an importer of my own goods according to UPS and the Thai government, when they returned from lunch.  

Waiting at the window after lunch  I was also informed I needed my tabien ban and my company info.  To this i just shook my head, and told the nice lady, I am not a company, I am not an importer, I do not have a business here in Thailand.  The package is my birth certificate.  She replied I would need all the info requested in order to have my package released or it would be forfeited.  I was told to obtain the copy of the Tabien Ban, fill out the paperwork as an individual importer and return.  All I can say is that this is totally ridiculous.  I will add more tomorrow after I wade through the process.

Edited by ThailandRyan
Updated
  • Haha 1

So here is the update I promised.  Seems that I wasted my time at customs, as it was UPS's responsibility to do the paperwork, and they have the PP20 which is needed by customs to release my letter package.  In fact UPS called me while I was standing at the window in Customs, as they had just been called by customs to find out what I was needing to register as an importer for.  Seems UPS dropped the ball and wanted me to send them my passport by courier, or go to the UPS location at Suvarnabhumi airport in order for them to enter the information, walk the original PP20 over to customs and then release my package to me.  So the saga continues, as I told UPS to go f.....themselves and I would not send them my passport by courier, nor would I go to the airport to have them take care of it.  As far as I am concerned UPS can refund my daughter the cost of the shipment, and Thai customs can burn the certified copy of my birth certificate.  I have a copy that I will have the embassy notarize and affirm as a true copy.  What an all out pain in the ass.  

Yes, I will ensure all of my parcels are sent by USPS, instead of a carrier. 

• Like 1