Marriage Extension: Home Visit

5 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

The three times I had a home visit were of 20 min. duration and no money or drinks passed hands (I did offer some water but it was declined). Never asked about my source of money (isn't that what the bank book copies/letters are for?). They just wanted visual proof I wasn't some scamming expat faking a marriage. And I don't blame them a bit..

Why did they come 3 times? Shouldn't it be only for the first extension?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

The three times I had a home visit were of 20 min. duration and no money or drinks passed hands (I did offer some water but it was declined). Never asked about my source of money (isn't that what the bank book copies/letters are for?). They just wanted visual proof I wasn't some scamming expat faking a marriage. And I don't blame them a bit..

Whats the point of coming 3 times though? ... I understand them checking 1st year but people that have already been married for years and people whom they already visited, I don't see the logic.

• Like 2

Just now, glegolo said:

It is really awful to read all these comments from guys that are o scared so half of it would be enough.... You are aware that these immigration-guys are employees, and that they are paid by Thailand, and that Thailand paying for the freaking gasolin when at work.....

Do NOT pay them, you just make it even more troublesom for you fellow countrymen and others, when doing that.

Greet them with coffe tea or cold water NOTING MORE..... WHY SHOULD YOU DO MORE???....

relax

Glegolo

Because the guy on the phone clearly said to give them money for fuel

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

Why did they come 3 times? Shouldn't it be only for the first extension?

Initially that's the way it was but I believe after uncovering people who were scamming (divorced/separated and their files not updated) or 'marriages of convenience' they decided to be more vigilant. Once again, people doing the right thing being inconvenienced by those who don't. Part of the reason I have zero empathy to those who believe Thai law doesn't apply to them who then are caught up in their own bs.. 

Edited by from the home of CC

35 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

Also, the immigration office visit yesterday was efficient, in and out in about an hour and a half.

28 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

I see. I'm asking about the visit at home 

Just now, transam said:

There is a hot line to report staff asking for money. Plus, anyone handing over cash could be deemed a bribe and you could be in doo-doo.....

Who is on the phone at the other end of the hotline though? I agree if you are legal you should nt have to pay and I also think agents are another scam that I won't pay for. I do understand why people use them though

52 minutes ago, wtfracing said:

Don't pay them any thing as they are not entitled to it, they are paid government employees who are corrupt. They most likely picked you out as an easy scared mark when you were at the immigration office.

I want my visa so I'll pay. I have lived here long enough to understand how things work. Scared mark my <deleted>.

14 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I wanted my visa ,but we paid nothing ,were asked for nothing ,they even declined a drink , they were very polite 

I guess at your IO they are more reasonable. Unfortunately it varies all over Thailand. Sometimes I wish I lived in a province where there are no tourists at all. It seems that tourism = corruption here.

2 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

I guess at your IO they are more reasonable. Unfortunately it varies all over Thailand. Sometimes I wish I lived in a province where there are no tourists at all. It seems that tourism = corruption here.

Well we have quite a lot of tourists here in Pattaya ,i think???? but my wife is a business woman as are our neighbours and we live in quite a largish house (one of the smallest on the estate) so it could be that they just don't risk asking ,but to be honest i just don't know . As i have said before i have always found Jomtien staff quite cheerful if not somewhat busy .

• Like 1

That’s a good question actually about the coffee because I had a similar experience but jeez did they actually ask you for money? That I find hard to believe in today’s Thailand but ever since the last immigration boss left maybe they’re slowly going back to the old ways who knows. When I did my marriage extension last month the immigration supervisor did me a pretty decent favor because a few of the dates of my deposits were a little early but it wasn’t a big deal she called their division hq and she got it pre-approved for me over the phone so I’m good now.

After the immigration supervisor told me that she had called their head office and it was approved she jokingly said that I should bring either cookies or donuts or something like that I don’t recall exactly in March when I go back for my one year stamp. Now she was saying it jokingly laughing as she said it in fact but I smiled and said sure I’d be happy to. So I might actually bring donuts when I go back but I’m kind of scared to because I don’t want anyone getting the wrong idea like it’s a bribe or something and it’s really not, technically there could be ethical issues but it’s nothing I haven’t done before in my home country in the past 30 years dealing with my own government with their little clicks and their good ol’ boy system it’s no different anywhere. But I am probably going to bring in donuts just to be nice because I did say I would. I know she’ll remember they always remember us. I remember last year she was another immigration worker who actually did my extension last year but this year now she’s the boss. When she told me it was approved she probably saw my facial expression change and I probably just gave her a free read on me which is fine because I’ll get them to walk it through for me in one day if I can. I will bring it directly into her office though and try to keep it at least a little bit discreet of course I’d be embarrassed if I show up and she’s gone or something especially if no one else remembers. I’m still contemplating whether or not that’s a good idea. I think it’s ok because I said I would but the same supervisor better be there and she better remember. 

20 hours ago, CraigInBangkok said:

Its a 3-4 hour round trip for me to go CW immigration and I live in bangers. I think I will demand coffee and money next time I have to goto immigration

They even don't give you water or hand disinfection cream while you have to go there for 3 hours with the neighbours in tow who had to take a day of from work.

20 hours ago, CraigInBangkok said:

Whats the point of coming 3 times though? ... I understand them checking 1st year but people that have already been married for years and people whom they already visited, I don't see the logic.

And what's the point of showing pics of you and your wife in the house, bringing the neighbours to them to get interviewed as well...and after that they'll come to your house, want to see all and also go to interview more neighbours.

11 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

No, he called again yesterday in the late afternoon and reiterated they want fuel money with my wife too.

Well that hardly seems believable but possible. Doubtful they’d be so open about it. This is why some offices prefer you bring witnesses for your first extension instead of a home visit which was a lot easier for us my first year here. 

9 minutes ago, Youlike said:

And what's the point of showing pics of you and your wife in the house, bringing the neighbours to them to get interviewed as well...and after that they'll come to your house, want to see all and also go to interview more neighbours.

Luckily I never had to take neighbours to the interview, I did'nt even know that was a thing ... We say hello to them but don't know them well enough to ask them to come for an interview. I have also never had a visit which I am a little surprised about but also happy.

I would pose the question .. Who has ever been refused due to lack of tea money? 

i worked here for 15 years prior to my extension, The rule of thumb is to never ask for too (much detail) and just presume By asking them what they want have opened a can of worms.

You presume they are getting paid for their job, you presume any fees were paid their visa fee, so why would you pay petrol money - just answer the questions and smile. 

My visitor just gave me 20 mins notice, just time to clear a space on the table and take a quick shower. No time to run to the ATM.

• Like 2