Hua Hin: Linette tames Swiss teenage Kung for Thailand Open trophy

webfact

Linette tames Swiss teenage Kung for Thailand Open trophy

800_08c6bd8c99b2f6d.jpg?v=1581872689

Magda Linette of Poland

Hua Hin - Fifth-seeded Magda Linette of Poland lifted up her second WTA trophy following a convincing win over Swiss teenager Lionie Kung of  6-3 6-2 in the Thailand Open final on Sunday.

S__8298505.jpg

The world No 42, with her powerful serves and consistent baseline game, outplayed the 19-year-old qualifier in just 76 minutes in her fourth WTA final. Her previous victory was in the Bronx Open in August 2019.

“I didn’t expect this at all coming here. I was even wondering how it was going to be because I was coming from indoor Fed Cup. I had a little time to adjust. I started the match really well and managed to continue throughout the match,” said Linette who took the winner’s cheque of US$43,000.

The first set proceeded with both players holding serves until in the sixth game. Kung doubled faulted and sent a forehand long to drop the first service game of the match as Linette build a 4-2 lead. The Polish, a semi-finalist last year, arrived at her first set point at 40-15 after Kung sprayed a backhand wide. She Linette closed out the 42-minute opening set with a big serve that Kung returned to the net.

Linette carried her momentum into the second set, breaking right from start with her attacking return and powerful groundstrokes to lead 1-0. She saved a break point in the fourth game and went on convert another break opportunity to widen the gap to 4-1.

At 5-2, the seeded Polish comfortably held to win the title, blasting a fierce serve to force error from Kung to end the battle. She will break into the top 40 for the first time on Monday while Kung will jump from No 283 to inside the top 180.

“I’m happy to play my first WTA final. It’s an incredible week. I’m also excited that I will be able to play my first Grand Slam qualifying competition in the French Open,”  said Kung.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/sport/30382238

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-17