UK Immigration - Departure information

My wife and I split our time between UK and Thailand. I am retired but my wife still does some part time work in the UK. She has a Thai passport and a UK spouse visa and residence card.

On our latest visit to TH she has had to return to the UK alone, before me, to go to work.

Her English is not too good and she also gets flustered by officials. On arrival at UK immigration she must have aroused suspicion and was taken away for questioning. She was asked when she had left the UK - she panicked and gave the wrong departure date. The immigration officer was then able to tell her the exact flight she'd left on. Anyway, after a few more questions she was allowed on her way.  I always thought UK immigration database didn't hold departure information?  Looks like this has changed.

Edited by HauptmannUK

Passport exit checks begin at UK ports and borders

Data is being collected on all passengers as they leave the UK on scheduled commercial international air, sea and rail routes.

The government says exit checks are "predominately an immigration and data tool", giving a "comprehensive picture" of whether people leave the UK when they are supposed to.

The API system, introduced in 2004, already gives the government information on passengers flying in and out of the UK. The exit checks mean information will now be gathered on people leaving by any commercial transport.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-32205970

13 hours ago, Jip99 said:

That is why there are no longer any immigration desks at departure  - I presume the information is provided by the airlines.

Yes, that exactly what happens.

There were some complaints about the lack of data regarding which foreign nationals visitors remained in the country after arriving for a visit when the Blair administration abandoned embarcation controls in the 1990's as a cost cutting measure.

The re-introduction of exit checks, was announced in 2010 in the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition’s ‘Programme for government’. The Home Office subsequently committed to delivering “100% exit checks” by March 2015, however carriers, including Eurostar, now collect this data and forward to the UKBA, rather than stand alone desks staffed by Border Force Officers.

• Like 1

Prior to 2019 traveling within the Common Travel Area required no record of someone departing the UK and then flying out of Dublin Airport as far as I know. Equally Dublin was widely regarding as back door to Britain, with no entry to the UK recorded - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area. It's also still possible simply to stroll across the border between Eire and Northern Ireland in several places

4 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Prior to 2019 traveling within the Common Travel Area required no record of someone departing the UK and then flying out of Dublin Airport as far as I know. Equally Dublin was widely regarding as back door to Britain, with no entry to the UK recorded - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Travel_Area. It's also still possible simply to stroll across the border between Eire and Northern Ireland in several places

Foreigners may not avail of Republic-North visa-free travel

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/foreigners-may-not-avail-of-republic-north-visa-free-travel-1.15120

http://www.bailii.org/ie/cases/IEHC/2011/H491.html#para18

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Which is how uk.gov are increasingly catching the bludgers that are claiming their winter home heating allowance while doing the resident tourist bit in Thailand.

Plus State Pension increases (in the case of the resident brigade at least)!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Which is how uk.gov are increasingly catching the bludgers that are claiming their winter home heating allowance while doing the resident tourist bit in Thailand.

Any evidence?   thought not,another load of rubbish. 

Just like the quote above "state pension increases"  all I say is please stay "honest"  good for you ,good for your soul,not so good for your wallet,but hey you get your rewards in heaven  lol

Edited by izod10
11 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

So only for foreign nationals and not UK passport holders then?  (.....thinking about expat NHS use, state pension uplift etc...)

If your wife was on working tax credits,or any form of benefit would show on checking,if non-benefit  OK

On 2/20/2020 at 6:33 AM, izod10 said:

Any evidence?   thought not,another load of rubbish. 

Just like the quote above "state pension increases"  all I say is please stay "honest"  good for you ,good for your soul,not so good for your wallet,but hey you get your rewards in heaven  lol

I suspect the majority of those who cheat the system get away with it, but I’m personally aware of some who have been caught when their travel details have been cross checked.

My integrity is worth more than cheating the system out of a few quid, however unreasonable the policy is, however I wouldn’t criticize anyone whose integrity differs from mine, we all make our own decisions in life.

• Like 1