Hundreds join protest against ban of opposition party in Thailand

rooster59

The ban strengthens the position in parliament of a coalition led by Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha

Maybe. But not in the country at large, where millions of disgruntled Thais are now seeing their dreams of democracy dashed - again.

5 hours ago, franzs said:

Live here for 30 Years, have seen them come and go.

A big blow to democracy? What democracy?
Do you mean democracy when rich people buying their way in politics through vote buying, they promised everything just to stay in power and enrich themself.

I was really happy that the army was there to take them out, again and again.

The last 6 years were for me the most peaceful time in 30 years here, no protests of any color, red, yellow, no dead people, no burning of the city, no corruption.
There is a billionaire again, what you expect?

Democracy? Good luck!

I also have lived here for over thirty years, I never invested in the "rose tinted glasses" that you obviously did, the happenings off the past thirty years have gone right over you head it appears - no corruption! ????

(Your not Steven01 relative are you?) ????

Edited by CGW
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

" The court said that such a money transaction had the potential to damage the level playing field among political parties."

I think they are using this definition of "level":

level, raze, rase, dismantle, tear down, take down, pull down(verb), tear down so as to make flat with the ground

It certainly appears that way

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Well done the US Embassy, but shame on all the other Embassies representing Democratic Countries (in particular the UK) for not showing their displeasure at the disollusion of the Future Forward Party.  They are frightened little mice hiding in their Embassies.  PS, I am British and not very proud to be so.

I certainly hope other nations will also issue states condeming decision.

It brings into question (?) the independence of the judicary  

Edited by RJRS1301

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The current regime appears to not understand "democracy" in any form unfortunately. It needs the millions take to the streets in all parts of Thailand simultaneously, and have peaceful sit-in protests at government offices on a rolling basis.

The populace needs to support democracy, or is that a luxury they cannot afford?

They know what democracy is. Just like the last lot who even had the parrot Yingluck quoting it on the world stage, they both know what it is but neither deliver it.

What is happening is the younger generations coming through also know what democracy is as more of them get to experience the western world either in person or through modern media. And what is pleasing to hear from the young ones I talk to is there is a peaceful resistance there not the violent stupidity of the Shinawatra mobs. It will take time but then one knew it would when the hands were being dealt from the last deck stacking. 

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The European Union said it “stands ready to broaden its engagement with Thailand, including on issues of human rights, fundamental freedoms and democratic pluralism, as underlined by the EU Foreign Affairs Council in its Conclusions of 14 October 2019”.

and only one forum member gave a laughing emoji to this statement ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

The current regime appears to not understand "democracy" in any form unfortunately. It needs the millions take to the streets in all parts of Thailand simultaneously, and have peaceful sit-in protests at government offices on a rolling basis.

The populace needs to support democracy, or is that a luxury they cannot afford?

Unfortunately for many it is a luxury that can't be afforded, fortunate for the "rent at democratic government" and unfortunately for the advancement of the country. 

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

Very true .

But if only the FFP leader and his top crew had bothered to follow the rules and regulations.

They must be aware that every i must be dotted and T must be crossed.

No matter what the rules say ignoring them leaves yourselves open.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

But if only the FFP leader and his top crew had bothered to follow the rules and regulations.

They must be aware that every i must be dotted and T must be crossed.

No matter what the rules say ignoring them leaves yourselves open.

Of course if there is built in ambiguity, and selective use of the laws, one is rather stuffed at the outset

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

You live here for 30 years?

Are you blind, or deaf, or both? Don't you know what the people of this country want?

It's not about red or yellow shirts now. It's about being allowed to say and do what people want.

Neither the education has improved, nor did the ordinary folks get the chance to have a decent life, not being used by others. 

As far as I know, were the votes mostly manipulated, little villages of 200 souls all in a sudden had 1,000 voters for Pinocchio's shadow party.

Did you forget how corrupt these people are, not even mentioning the watch lover and his lies, from where he'd gotten these watches?

Did you not realize that the suicide rate has skyrocketed? 

Nothing is as it should be, and poor people have no chance to live a better life.

Everything has gotten so expensive, but the ordinary people who are in the majority do not make more money than they did 20 years ago.

How do you raise a family when you only have an income of 5,000 baht per month?

Are you aware how most farmers in Isaan live?

Not having enough money to buy things for daily life, no new clothes, no jewelry, no car, no motorbike, no good school for the kids.

My parents in law are farmers who do not have not enough to eat.

If we wouldn't support them, they'd be starving. 

And the list goes on and on. 

If you believe that this has nothing to do with the government, then you've got to be a dreamer or one of them. 

Have you been sleeping for the last 30 years?

The problem is none, I repeat for you: none, of the political parties have done anything over the last 30-50 years to change things. All Hiso, rich, well connected. whose first and only interest was enriching themselves and their families. Just different factions and clans vying for control of the trough. And their enrichment is staggering by any standards.

FFP were supported by many younger people and seen as a new breath of fresh air. Now we'll never know if that was true or not.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

This really has become a sad place, for the Thai's IMO.

Believable if a hundreds of thousands showed up but hundreds? To me that shows the complete opposite, that thai 

People are very happy with prayuth 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, franzs said:

Live here for 30 Years, have seen them come and go.

A big blow to democracy? What democracy?
Do you mean democracy when rich people buying their way in politics through vote buying, they promised everything just to stay in power and enrich themself.

I was really happy that the army was there to take them out, again and again.

The last 6 years were for me the most peaceful time in 30 years here, no protests of any color, red, yellow, no dead people, no burning of the city, no corruption.
There is a billionaire again, what you expect?

Democracy? Good luck!

2 minutes ago, sixlegs said:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

The question I have to ask is, does the Nation media now recognise the mistake of their pro-coup stance in 2014 and in what way are they taking responsibility for creating the current situation?

There's a certain irony here. Most TV posters were in favour of the generals against one oligarch (Thaksin) but are now siding with another oligarch against the generals. 

Funny old world.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hayduke said:

True....but it's not going to happen any time soon. It's quite obvious the rank and file 'populace' doesn't feel strongly enough about military oppression to really 'do' anything. They've never known political freedom and it's never been a part of Thai society. Now, if the court dissolved Facebook...it would be completely different...we'd be looking at a violent, full scale insurrection. The Thai people know what's important.

Very sad but true lol. Facebook, cheap grog and smokes. Who cud want more ????????

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Hopefully, this will grow to millions in the streets. That is what is needed to get rid of the hapless, and incredibly imcompetent generals once and for all. They need to be shown the door, by the people. The sooner the better. They have no understanding of democracy, and have no desire for the people to be represented fairly. The youth will rise up, and inspire a massive movement, hopefully. It is the only hope this nation has. The army is moving the country backwards, at a stunning pace. 

Is democracy really best for Thailand? It doesn't really work that well in the western world, where all the parties share the same liberal left dogma, chasing this and that fad, while large segments of the population have no representation at all.

Thailand is a conservative country, and wants to stay that way, thankfully.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

The problem is none, I repeat for you: none, of the political parties have done anything over the last 30-50 years to change things. All Hiso, rich, well connected.

Can you think of anywhere that's different?