Hundreds join protest against ban of opposition party in Thailand

rooster59

10 hours ago, nahkit said:

So you don't have to pay for electricity if you just use a fridge and a few lights?

News to me.

No fridge, maybe one light and a charger for the all important cell phone. A TV if they're lucky but most just watch their drama shows on their phones. You think everyone has a fridge out in the bush lol? A lot of Thais in the city don't have fridges. Food is bought and cooked as required.

Where I was living some people still had dirt floors. Only got electricity 10 years ago. Used to have to go and pump water. As far as I remember if the electricity bill is under 200 baht, king pays.

Many people living in what we call abject poverty, but they are happy enough and in Thailand there is always plenty to eat off the land. Up until 10 years ago they wouldn't have known any different. With the advent of the internet etc now they are aware of all this stuff they want and see how other people live

Edited by Kenny202

11 hours ago, bannork said:

Kenny, your last paragraph resonated with me and is one of the reasons I love Thailand, the freedom to build your house how you like and to do what you want with your land.

In the UK you can hardly cross the road without checking a hundred rules and regulations. The country is strangled to death by bureaucracy. But it's a tiny country with a lot of people so it makes sense in one way.

But Australia is enormous, all that space! Now I know most of the population is straddled around the coast in cities, but surely you don't need the red tape and officialdom so prevalent in the UK?

Mate I saw this yuppy idiot in Australia the other day put a FB post about cruelty to animals. It was a short video of what looked like a rice paddy in SE Asia, where someone had made a very ingenious but humane net trap, with a female wild fowl....to attract a male. The male comes to the call of the female and a net falls over the wild bird. The poor farmer obviously using a bit of ingenuity trying to get a feed for the family. This idiot was outraged. No doubt sitting in his nice apartment with a fridge full of supermarket food (organic of course). That in a nutshell sums up what Australia and many other countries have become. People living in an unrealistic bubble of FB fed BS. These are the idiots our governments seem to be pandering to

Edited by Kenny202
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

No fridge, maybe one light and a charger for the all important cell phone. A TV if they're lucky but most just watch their drama shows on their phones. You think everyone has a fridge out in the bush lol? A lot of Thais in the city don't have fridges. Food is bought and cooked as required.

Where I was living some people still had dirt floors. Only got electricity 10 years ago. Used to have to go and pump water. As far as I remember if the electricity bill is under 200 baht, king pays.

Many people living in what we call abject poverty, but they are happy enough and in Thailand there is always plenty to eat off the land. Up until 10 years ago they wouldn't have known any different. With the advent of the internet etc now they are aware of all this stuff they want and see how other people live

That's fantastic, so everything and everybody is on top of the world leading a life of luxury. 

Maybe the same concept should be introduced worldwide to assist in the improvement of life for everyone. 

Another "Hub" for Thailand. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 8:01 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Can you believe this, yes disperse, but Chinese welcome ????

It would have been wise for all the protesters to have on masks, but  not for fear of a virus harming them. 

Viruses can make sure sick, but not make you disappear suddenly. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Artisi said:

That's fantastic, so everything and everybody is on top of the world leading a life of luxury. 

Maybe the same concept should be introduced worldwide to assist in the improvement of life for everyone. 

Another "Hub" for Thailand. 

I dunno. Maybe they are the ones that got it right. Happiest people and loveliest kids I've ever seen in the villages. 

7 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I dunno. Maybe they are the ones that got it right. Happiest people and loveliest kids I've ever seen in the villages. 

That too has been my experience in many very low socioeconomic areas of some countires, so little, seems so unfair, but content and committed to their communities

Like true communism doesnt exist, so democracy doesnt exist.

Only capitalisme rules. If your position is in danger as ruler, you get rit of the opposition.

In this case you have one capitalisme section against another one.

Democracy has nothing to do with it. It doesnt exist. 

15 hours ago, 473geo said:

Well I call lifting the population out of the poverty trap into a reasonable existence where their labours are justly rewarded, progress, and a good thing. I await your update on the current governments 'progress' over the 6 years of tenure, regarding this topic

Progress to my mind would also be to have a vibrant economy where the pension for the elderly is enough to enjoy the autumn of their lives, as many in western countries do. I await your update on the 'progress' this government has made during their 6 years of tenure regarding the future benefits for the working population that they may not end up in the same situation as their grand parents and parents. a decent pension would ease the stress and burden on the young people.

You criticise 'western democracy' but the voter has the opportunity to demand change and even take the government to an impartial court in attempts to do so. this allows for progress and a continued check on government responsibility to the people.

I enjoy Thailand and understand progress will not all arrive on the same day. I enjoy the family unit set up, and would hope that factor is not sacrificed in the name of progress, I like the rural self sufficiency model but this is at risk without due care and attention. 

Investment in rural areas and support for agriculture is crucial for Thailand to remain a community based country, the cities offer little but economic slavery to the inhabitants. The economic planning will dictate the future, the rural landscape and the support of agriculture, and development of minor industry in rural areas will define a future where Thai people eat 'cake' or rice. I await your update on the progress this government has made in the 6 year tenure so far completed.

As you can see havoc need not be created just working towards an improved lifestyle for all.

You will also note I have spared you the 'education' topic, although I believe there is room and a need for quality higher education, I also believe the average person benefits from 'apprenticeship' from a quality trainer. I would look for 'progress' in this area also

In the western world:

Apprenticeships: gone - nowadays half the population gets up to its eyeballs studying for degrees that are useless in the real world

Working poor: the western world has lots of those. Try living on a minimum wage when your minimum pay will never make end meet and you get into a cycle of payday debt

Education: dumbed down by lefties who abhor selective schooling and insists on prizes for all - see "Apprenticeships" above

Retirement: try living on a state pension over there - old people freeze to death because they can't pay their greenie-inflated power bills ...... but that's why you're in Thailand, right?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

It works perfectly well in the western world. There is no question or doubt. To answer your question, it is imperative that Democracy in Thailand gets a chance to prove itself. That means that all people have to stick with the choice being made at election time. But several times we have seen the army step in, negate out those election results just on a whim. When that same military took power, we have seen rampant corruption and plain illegal practices that made the party forced out of power look like toddlers. 

I honestly cannot believe that a sane person is ignoring the plain evidence, in all instances, the people that replaced the legitimate democratically elected governments where leagueges worse than then the people they replaced. They have absolutely no leg to stand on. 

It boggles the mind how anyone can still say that people subjected to checks and balances could be possibly worse than people that make their own laws, unopposed. I don't think one could actually be more stupid than this. Utter and utter stupidity. Wake the hell up. 

Large tracts of the western world don't have true democracy. If they did, then all political viewpoints would be represented, which they aren't. In the UK, for example, lots of people who identify as conservative in viewpoint vote for the so called 'conservative' party, which isn't conservative at all - it's liberal left. So is the 'labour' party, which used to represent the working class, but no longer does because it's been commandeered by champagne Trotskysists. Other western world' democracies are the same - which one of an identical liberal left bunch of parties does a voter choose from? The result will be the same.

Makes me laugh when people bang on about Thailand, and then wonder why they don't feel welcome there.

16 hours ago, Artisi said:

Thailand could quite easily stay / or have stayed a conservative country, unfortunately the power brokers can not understand that their need to "rule" could quite easily have been maintained while driving the country forward with the people behind them - but that requires intelligence - something completely lacking by the current "mob". 

I think I remember you - you were a junta hugger a few years back. What happened? In my case, I was against them, but I changed my mind too, albeit in the opposite direction.

16 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Well, they stepped down and voila, Thaksin back at the helm. The only reason the army is in charge is not because they are wanted by the Thai people, it is because they are forcing themselves on the Thai population. The very population they are sworn to protect !

Anyone still condoning their interference is as criminal as the army. It will eventually happen, just as Thailand got rid of absolute monarchy, they will get rid of the militairy meddling in things they have no comprehension off. History the world over has taught us, it will happen, even in Thailand. when that day comes, Thailand can finally advance, instead of being stuck in time. 

People have been saying that for a very long time now.

17 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Not sure to what or whom you are referring to, the previous coup mongers ? Well, they didn't stay on for so long, and they didn't re-write the constitution in such a way that it would give them carte blanche. Both were illegal, but the lengths at which the current lot went is miles away from the previous lot. 

Both are wrong, in a democracy, you need to respect the way people vote, even if it doesn't go your way. This latest action just highlights how those people disrespect their fellow countrymen. Do you honestly believe the way Prayuth's party was funded is entirely legal. Pigs fly and all of that. 

This is the beginning of the end for Prayuth. I never thought he was so stupid as to persue this avenue. Yet he did. I give it half a year before it all come crashing down on him. Som nam naa.

Won't happen - wanna bet?

Anyway, people vote for Prayuth to (I did), and he did win the last general election.  Democracy at work, right?

Edited by dbrenn

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 8:17 AM, Hayduke said:

True....but it's not going to happen any time soon. It's quite obvious the rank and file 'populace' doesn't feel strongly enough about military oppression to really 'do' anything. They've never known political freedom and it's never been a part of Thai society. Now, if the court dissolved Facebook...it would be completely different...we'd be looking at a violent, full scale insurrection. The Thai people know what's important.

So the protests in late 2000s never happened in bizaro TVF land? All those people shot by the military never happened too? 

Edited by PremiumLane
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

4 Mbs ...... I didn't feel the need for the unlimited 10Mbs @200bht/month.

That would leave you with 10 baht per day for food and drink. Or if you went down to the 150 baht package you would gain another 1.50 baht per day 11.666 in total.

15 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Some of you guys have very little concept of village life. Many do actually live on amounts

500-1000 baht a month. Electricity last I heard if under 200 baht paid by the king. Food can virtually be free, enough to exist on anyway. They eat rats, frogs, rice. Most of their vegetables / herbs can be picked off the street or farm. They get enough rice to live by working the farms harvest season and get paid in rice. Lady across the road from me had a very small farm and her return was around 10K per year. She would supplement that with bits and pieces, local farm work etc but over and above living off the land, basically she might have a bit extra for motorbike gas, a bit of grog now and then and a few sauces for cooking. Many where I live couldn't even afford gas to cook. Wood fire

You have me down to a T. After all I have only lived in a small village here in rural Khampaeng Phet for 15 years and I have absolutely no idea that I could live so cheaply.

Rice doesn't grow very well around here as it is hilly and the water supply which stopped somewhen in January is rain fed from the Mae Wong national park has dried up. The borehole (government issue has also dried up. We now get water from the tessaban in the main village 6km away delivered by the big firetruck. To get that my wife has to drive to the tessaban (no public transport) and sign for it. It gets delivered when her name gets to the top of the list and then she has to go back after the delivery and sign up again.

Man saparang (tapioca) grows fairly well but only gets about 2,200 baht/ton. Unless you have your own family as a workforce and your own tractor you will have to hire the tractor and driver plus labour force, buy fertiliser, and if you are very lucky and get 5 tons per rai you will get 11,000 baht, So 10 rai will gross 110,000 baht per year less expenses, so if you are lucky you may get 50 or 60,000 baht per year on a 10 rai plot of land.

34 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That would leave you with 10 baht per day for food and drink. Or if you went down to the 150 baht package you would gain another 1.50 baht per day 11.666 in total.

You have me down to a T. After all I have only lived in a small village here in rural Khampaeng Phet for 15 years and I have absolutely no idea that I could live so cheaply.

Rice doesn't grow very well around here as it is hilly and the water supply which stopped somewhen in January is rain fed from the Mae Wong national park has dried up. The borehole (government issue has also dried up. We now get water from the tessaban in the main village 6km away delivered by the big firetruck. To get that my wife has to drive to the tessaban (no public transport) and sign for it. It gets delivered when her name gets to the top of the list and then she has to go back after the delivery and sign up again.

Man saparang (tapioca) grows fairly well but only gets about 2,200 baht/ton. Unless you have your own family as a workforce and your own tractor you will have to hire the tractor and driver plus labour force, buy fertiliser, and if you are very lucky and get 5 tons per rai you will get 11,000 baht, So 10 rai will gross 110,000 baht per year less expenses, so if you are lucky you may get 50 or 60,000 baht per year on a 10 rai plot of land.

I lived in Baan Nok Chaiyaphum and very similar conditions. Mostly Tapioca and bigger growers with more land sugar. But most of the subsistence farmers a few rai with Tapioca, but they weren't yielding anything like you say, and soil so poor one crop a year. Only the bigger farms used tractors, smaller farms it's all done by hand, usually by the family. Dug up by hand too. And replanted by hand. I don't see how you could do it any other way. There was no "labour force" lol. Last I can remember they were receiving anywhere from 1.5 -1.8 baht per kilo. Extremely poor people. Literally dirt poor but they always had rice, had a feed and always had water. Nothing else too much. Any time anyone would seem to come into any money it would be pssed up the wall faster than they received it. Eg insurance money for funerals. I knew of one lady won 2 mill in the lottery. 6 months later all gone and she was worse off than before. Because she had the money enabled her to accumulate debts. After it was all gone she ended up going to prison for selling yabbadabba doo.  

So what are you actually saying? You think these people can't live on 500-1000 baht a month? Don't get me wrong. Not all do, some seem quite well off.... and I couldn't and wouldn't live like that, but it is quite common where I lived. And many live like that of their own choosing ie too lazy to work. Good luck to em if they're happy

Edited by Kenny202
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I lived in Baan Nok Chaiyaphum and very similar conditions. Mostly Tapioca and bigger growers with more land sugar. But most of the subsistence farmers a few rai with Tapioca, but they weren't yielding anything like you say, and soil so poor one crop a year. Only the bigger farms used tractors, smaller farms it's all done by hand, usually by the family. Dug up by hand too. And replanted by hand. I don't see how you could do it any other way. There was no "labour force" lol. Last I can remember they were receiving anywhere from 1.5 -1.8 baht per kilo. Extremely poor people. Literally dirt poor but they always had rice, had a feed and always had water. Nothing else too much. Any time anyone would seem to come into any money it would be pssed up the wall faster than they received it. Eg insurance money for funerals. I knew of one lady won 2 mill in the lottery. 6 months later all gone and she was worse off than before. Because she had the money enabled her to accumulate debts. After it was all gone she ended up going to prison for selling yabbadabba doo.  

So what are you actually saying? You think these people can't live on 500-1000 baht a month? Don't get me wrong. Not all do, some seem quite well off.... and I couldn't and wouldn't live like that, but it is quite common where I lived. And many live like that of their own choosing ie too lazy to work. Good luck to em if they're happy

There is a 60 year old lady living with her mother just up the road from us and she lives on handouts. We gave her 250 baht a day for 4 days to sweep up and burn the dead leaves, She used to eat at my wife's noodle stall at lunchtime and when she went home at night my wife gave her enough food for 2 people.

If I could afford it I would take her on fulltime and after a couple of weeks she will have done the bulk of the work and we would still pay her the same for 2 or 3 hours a day.

I am not bragging but sometimes it is nice to be able to help other people.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am not bragging but sometimes it is nice to be able to help other people.

I actually found the opposite in the first village I lived. I did several things, in a very low key manner and seemed it never ended well. I remember going to the temple one morning and seeing all the old ladies trudging up this mud road to get there. I suggested to my missus we chip in and order 3000-5000 baht of gravel to pave the road a bit. Maybe one of the local guys could get a couple of tractors, spread it around. People were holding their hand out everywhere. No one wanted to do anything unless I paid them, even people that were well off. I remember going to the local shop one time, couple of kids there, bought them an ice cream or something. The old grandmother got the huffs because she was older than the kids and I should show her respect and buy her something. She actually went to the fridge and selected an armful of stuff. Another time we took a couple of kids lived across the road to the markets. Parents weren't home for days sometimes and they spent a lot of time at our house. Boy 6 and girl 10. Bought them a couple of pairs of shoes each. Turns out the parents thought we were treating them as poor because why didn't we think they could buy shoes for their kids. Another time I suggested we buy another lady a gas burner, told my wife tell her come and tell us when she needs a refill and Ill take care of it. She was working her farm 14 hours a day then coming home looking for wood to make a fire and cook. Her husband thought I was trying it on with her. Offered the guy next door some really nice shirts and shorts I didn't fit any more. All were like near new, some where new. he had about 2 pairs of shorts and shirts to his name. He asked my girl why we not give him new. I don't know how many times people came with us to the city or local town and bought them lunch. They'd order 4 dishes each, eat 1/4 of it and not even take the rest home. Always left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. It's just what I experienced and it was very disheartening.

In all cases it wasn't like me being the big bwana throwing money around or making a big deal. I like you could just see areas where for so little money you could make peoples lives easier or help make someone happy. But you make one person happy and another jealous or envious. My Mrs was born and raised in the village and even she didn't understand it. A Thai teacher I knew told me later Thais, particularly village Thais don't understand a charitable act. If you give someone something for no reason they think you either want something in return or you are stupid. 

Edited by Kenny202
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dbrenn said:

I think I remember you - you were a junta hugger a few years back. What happened? In my case, I was against them, but I changed my mind too, albeit in the opposite direction.

Never a junta hugger, initially I was hopeful they would clean up the mess and get back to what they are tasked to do - not trying to run a country (badly). 

They had the opportunity and are certainly on the wrong track at the moment with this latest screw up of FF just confirming the lack of intellect. 

In power thru' till the next election and possibly even further by playing the game correctly - even with the constant flack from many directions, they had a chance to sort out the mess the country has been directed into over the past 50 years - but no, just continued on in ignorant bliss - - raises the question why, but let's not go there. 

So, never a junta hugger - just believed they were the lesser of the 2 evils at the time. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Never a junta hugger, initially I was hopeful they would clean up the mess and get back to what they are tasked to do - not trying to run a country (badly). 

They had the opportunity and are certainly on the wrong track at the moment with this latest screw up of FF just confirming the lack of intellect. 

In power thru' till the next election and possibly even further by playing the game correctly - even with the constant flack from many directions, they had a chance to sort out the mess the country has been directed into over the past 50 years - but no, just continued on in ignorant bliss - - raises the question why, but let's not go there. 

So, never a junta hugger - just believed they were the lesser of the 2 evils at the time. 

Wishful thinking that anything will change after what happened to Thaksin.

People in this forum misunderstood the junta - they were never looking for reform because their politics are very traditional conservative right wing: paternalism, preservation of the culture, status quo, tighter immigration control, respect for hierarchy, elders, the religion and the like. Many Thais support that, which is why Prayuth's party won the general election. 

Posters here misunderstood the junta, thinking that they were something that they never were: revolutionaries rising up against Thaksin the evil businessman, so they cheered the junta on, at first.

Edited by dbrenn

6 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

You think everyone has a fridge out in the bush lol?

Did I say that everyone has a fridge?

I was replying to the post from Britmantoo who wrote:-

" Electricity is free, as she only uses a fridge and a few lights. "

4 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Won't happen - wanna bet?

Anyway, people vote for Prayuth to (I did), and he did win the last general election.  Democracy at work, right?

Prayut just said that students who join political rallies could have their futures extinguished. 

No, this isn't democracy at work. It's fascism. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Prayut just said that students who join political rallies could have their futures extinguished. 

No, this isn't democracy at work. It's fascism. 

Call it what you like, but it's in charge, peace has been restored, and students should be studying for their exams anyway, or they'll fail them and their futures will be extinguished. 

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

But some people will say, "that's fantastic - better than nothing" as they kickback in there A/C cooled condo, knock the top off another cold top shelf beer, surf the internet with a high-speed data connection and call Food Panda or Grab for a snack or 2 to fill in the days entertainment. 

Life is good. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Call it what you like, but it's in charge, peace has been restored, and students should be studying for their exams anyway, or they'll fail them and their futures will be extinguished. 

Threatening people for exercising their basic human rights isn't conducive to living in peace. Quite the opposite. It most certainly isn't democratic. 

Edited by rkidlad
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

We hear you, and yes somethings you say true/worth considering, but they ain't the Messiah and they certainly can't walk on water however hard they try. 

• Like 2